Goljan Advice from those who have taken Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsmedic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the Goljan High Yield, the 36pgs and the 100pgs?

Is it worth reading over multiple times?

Members don't see this ad.

I found that by the time the test rolled around I knew most of the high yield stuff & the only purpose it served was to give a boost of confidence the night before the exam.
If you do UW, RR and the audio, the high yield stuff will be in your head for sure.

Good Luck.

I'll post what a fourth year told me. "it's low hanging fruit" "too good" and "like cheating on the boards" that was his opinion in his words. FWIW

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah please elaborate on it. Those notes were written several years ago. How are they still up to date?

Additionally - I have a question of my own.

When using the Goljan audio, do you guys use his slides as well? I don't know how people can learn without using the slides. He refers to them ALL THE TIME!

the fourth year had several questions that were in those 140 pages. he read them a few days before and it made several questions easier. they are a quick review of high yield material from a wide array of subjects. Too good to not read them. you can read them in a day. once at the beginning of the process, once a few days before. Very excellent review with lots of classic presentations.

Most of the stuff on the HY pages is basic mechanism of disease & that really doesn't change from year to year.....RA is still caused by Anti-IgG IgMs :).

I don't know of anyone that has the slides.....& everyone still uses the audio.

Most of the stuff on the HY pages is basic mechanism of disease & that really doesn't change from year to year.....RA is still caused by Anti-IgG IgMs :).

exactly. classic presentation of RA is same as it was years before they were written. ton of charts that look like the FA ones. They are just a dang good review. nothing but meat

Hi Scube,
Would you say that the RR is good enough as far as the blue notes in the margin. Is that like the HY stuff? I guess I should know that stuff cold, huh? Also is UW enough for questions or should I use additional question banks?

What are these slides that are floating around with folders named 1.1, 2.1, etc. all the way to 10? Are those not the slides?

i will be taking step 1 in september. i am using LWW simulator of assesing myself. till now i have been scoring an average of 64%. how does this score correlate with the actual score? i started with goljan a few days back. it seems like these notes are good enough for internal medicine too.

What are these slides that are floating around with folders named 1.1, 2.1, etc. all the way to 10? Are those not the slides?

Really ??? No one at my school had them yet we all still used the audio. I guess it will be that much better w/ the slides but not at all impossible w/o.

i will be taking step 1 in september. i am using LWW simulator of assesing myself. till now i have been scoring an average of 64%. how does this score correlate with the actual score? i started with goljan a few days back. it seems like these notes are good enough for internal medicine too.

I'm a little out of sync, can you tell m what LWW stands for:confused: is it a good way of assessing yourself or is NBME better?

I'm a little out of sync, can you tell m what LWW stands for:confused: is it a good way of assessing yourself or is NBME better?
well LWW is Lippincott Williams And Wilkins, 2000. this Q bank was developed by National Medical School Review, a part of Kaplan when developed in 2000

I can't find the Goljan HY notes. Is there a place that I can get them? All I can find are broken links.

Thanks!

Really ??? No one at my school had them yet we all still used the audio. I guess it will be that much better w/ the slides but not at all impossible w/o.

the only active way i can learn material is if I read it myself....I hate listening to audio files...it feels like sitting in a classroom to me (meaning not gaining anything).......am I missing out if I dont listen to the audio? did it help you on the actual exam?

If you guys say its a must to listen to it to score higher, i will take ur word and listen....sometimes in life, u gotta do what u dont like to do!

Thank You for your feeback

At the end of a day of studying, it was good to read through them and make sure I got the associations right. They were not a serious component of my studying.

hy 36, 44, 100
So, are these overlapping?
Are the shorter ones integrated into the longer 100 page one?
I have not had time to look through them. I want to use some of this material but I am wondering if they overlap and in what way.

the only active way i can learn material is if I read it myself....I hate listening to audio files...it feels like sitting in a classroom to me (meaning not gaining anything).......am I missing out if I dont listen to the audio? did it help you on the actual exam?

If you guys say its a must to listen to it to score higher, i will take ur word and listen....sometimes in life, u gotta do what u dont like to do!

Thank You for your feeback

I've found that it's good to listen to while taking walks or going for a run as I too can't just sit and listen to an audio without having anything to look at. I obviously don't write anything down, but I've noticed that I do retain stuff as I go through the material during my normal studying of the subject. I've been doing it in the order of the lectures given as opposed to what I'm currently doing.

Hi Scube,
Would you say that the RR is good enough as far as the blue notes in the margin. Is that like the HY stuff? I guess I should know that stuff cold, huh? Also is UW enough for questions or should I use additional question banks?

Don't just memorize the blue notes without doing RR - you'll forget that stuff pretty quick. Also, ignore those HY notes. You should limit yourself to how many sources you start using (even if they're all Goljan).

Listen to the audio for a couple of chapters, then read those chapters. Do this for all chapters (except for the ones not covered (Genetics, for example)).

Read RR again (time permitted)

Read RR again (time permitted)

5 days before the exam: Spend 2 days reading blue notes, spend 2 days doing Pharm. Take last day off to relax.