Goljan RR for USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gheorgia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys even find time to use this in the 1.5 months that you have to study for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Get coffee, find somewhere quiet, read it.

How did you guys even find time to use this in the 1.5 months that you have to study for the boards?

I wouldn't even wipe my dog's butt with Goljan RR; Pathoma is much better

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even wipe my dog's butt with Goljan RR; Pathoma is much better

RR Path worked pretty well for me (and plenty of other 250-270+ test-takers). Pathoma may be better (I have no idea, it wasn't around when I took it), but Goljan is still wonderful.

would you recommend supplementing both FA and RR Path during the school year?

RR Path worked pretty well for me (and plenty of other 250-270+ test-takers). Pathoma may be better (I have no idea, it wasn't around when I took it), but Goljan is still wonderful.

There was a time when Goljan was king, but Pathoma is more concise, easier to read, and more HY than Goljan. If I had taken step I 3 years ago, I would have lived, breathed, and eaten Goljan, but when I took Step I, Pathoma was invaluable (along with FA and UWorld)

There was a time when Goljan was king, but Pathoma is more concise, easier to read, and more HY than Goljan. If I had taken step I 3 years ago, I would have lived, breathed, and eaten Goljan, but when I took Step I, Pathoma was invaluable (along with FA and UWorld)

Blasphemy!!! How dare you talk about Goljan that way!

During second year, I was planning on watching/reading relevant pathoma at the start of a block, reading RR with corresponding lectures over the course of the block, then watching/reading relevant pathoma at the end of each block (and redoing all of it in a condensed period as step review toward the end of second year). Reasonable or overkill?

During second year, I was planning on watching/reading relevant pathoma at the start of a block, reading RR with corresponding lectures over the course of the block, then watching/reading relevant pathoma at the end of each block (and redoing all of it in a condensed period as step review toward the end of second year). Reasonable or overkill?

Reasonable. Similar to what I did. We'll see how my Step 1 score turns out, but I did very well second year.

With or without banking GT? With? Overkill for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

I went through the entire vascular and cardiovascular chapters this evening. It took me about 3 hours. If you've been using RR for all of second year and are familiar with it then going through it a second (or third) time is much faster.

You also have to realize that it is ultra dense, and parts of it probably aren't that high yield, so you can read those parts quickly and not try to memorize every little detail.

With, although I'm hoping to be ~60%ish banked by the start of 2nd yr. What would you alter, given that GT is being thrown in?

I think once you hit 60%, with 2nd year, with Pathoma and RR path... it's starting to be too many resources. I would either use GT or RR path, but not both. Pathoma seems like a good add though, from what I hear.

This, I don't know what this Pathoma is but RR Path is a great book for step 1

I don't know what this personal computer thing is, but the typewriter is awesome for writing letters!

jk I'm just playing :laugh:

Not a fan of Pathoma at all. Goljan is almost like first aid in terms of comprehensiveness, except with the additional detail in path. You can basically learn high yield pharm and biochem with it. It's also a lot more integrated than pathoma. I admit I went a little overboard this year with gunnertraining, goljan, robbins (yes big poppa robbins) and pathoma. Goljan is still the standard for review imo, nothing is as integrated. In fact I noticed the other resources seem to borrow his integrations and examples.

Not a fan of Pathoma at all. Goljan is almost like first aid in terms of comprehensiveness, except with the additional detail in path. You can basically learn high yield pharm and biochem with it. It's also a lot more integrated than pathoma. I admit I went a little overboard this year with gunnertraining, goljan, robbins (yes big poppa robbins) and pathoma. Goljan is still the standard for review imo, nothing is as integrated. In fact I noticed the other resources seem to borrow his integrations and examples.

:eek: Did you go through the whole book? Yikes.

If so, that's a huge waste.

Big Robbins is not necessarily a waste of time. If you are a slow reader, then yeah, Big Robbins is a HUGE waste of time, otherwise, I actually enjoyed Big Robbins. Specifically, I enjoyed how Big Robbins tied in more basic science than Medium Robbins (ex. the most recent research on this subject implicates the role of MAPK/AKT signaling in the development of blah blah blah), and when my classmates and I compared topics in Big and Medium Robbins, due to the extra text, difficult concepts were fleshed out better in Big Robbins. If you went to a LAC or have a non-science UG degree, Big Robbins will probably be a good fit for you

I tried medium robbins and couldnt stand it because it always left me with so many questions. big robbins all the way. although I can't imagine reading the whole thing :eek: