Gomerblog Joins the EM Hate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted128562

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like an IM resident frustrated with a particular EM resident. I do love that he calls ER residents arrogant while also claiming his intellectual superiority of them.

Don't be offended. Things like this go down all the time, at Sarcasm General Hospital. I live there, work there, and knit mittens out of belly button lint for the downtrodden and disaffected, there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure it's even "hate"? (Yes, I know it's news in the sense The Onion is news.) We should be respectful of other specialties and be good guests on rotations outside the department. But I would be lying if I didn't feel like I was about to seize every time we spent >1 hour on a patient when I was a resident. And I know the IM residents on the MICU team probably would assume it was from happiness overload.

Poorly written and just not that funny. Heres my personal favorite ER hatorade from that site

http://www.gomerblog.com/2014/03/consults/
Pretty funny.

But for the medical students reading these sorts of things, choose whatever specialty you like for the work, not others' opinions of that work. And that includes things like neurosurgery, which is rightly held in high regard, but man, I see very few who are actually happy. Fact is, my job satisfaction went up went I left my pride at the door and focused on the patients.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.gomerblog.com/2015/08/er-resident-rotating-in-icu/

Someone needs to teach this guy the art of subtlety. Yeesh.

I don't see the problem. Our MICU attendings compliment us on our ability to get jobs done without too much unnecessary talk on rounds.

They routinely criticize their own IM residents for dragging their feet on decisions, needing too much supervision for procedures, taking too long on rounds, etc.

I'm sure they get annoyed when we don't know the latest literature on when to feed people and the important subtleties of the more complex patients.

Pretty funny.

But for the medical students reading these sorts of things, choose whatever specialty you like for the work, not others' opinions of that work. And that includes things like neurosurgery, which is rightly held in high regard, but man, I see very few who are actually happy. Fact is, my job satisfaction went up went I left my pride at the door and focused on the patients.

It was funny.

Vitamin D and lupus anticoagulant is just part of the standard workup. I don't see the big deal.

The ICU attending loved having us there because we were able to supervise the PGY3 medicine residents doing central lines (while we were PGY1 but credentialed in all lines) so they could get their numbers to graduate and they didn't have to wake up for them. But the rounds did suck and I took every opportunity I could to miss them.

ICU rounds: WEEELLLL WE'VE ONLY BEEN ROUNDING ON PATIENT NUMBER 1 FOR 45 MINUTES SO FAR AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T EXPLAINED WHY HIS CALCIUM IS 0.5MG/DL LESS THAN IT WAS YESTERDAY

ED rounds: that one's sick, that one's fine, send that one home when the urine is negative

Reactions: 4 users
I lost it at the phrase "happiness overload".

It's satire. Every specialty on that site is made fun of at some point. Stop taking things so seriously and contributing to the culture in this country of being offended by everything

Reactions: 7 users
I don't see the problem. Our MICU attendings compliment us on our ability to get jobs done without too much unnecessary talk on rounds.

They routinely criticize their own IM residents for dragging their feet on decisions, needing too much supervision for procedures, taking too long on rounds, etc.

I'm sure they get annoyed when we don't know the latest literature on when to feed people and the important subtleties of the more complex patients.

Yep, at our program we rotate in the MICU, CICU, and the attendings there don't hold anything back when saying how much they prefer the EM residents over the IM ones. EM residents can do procedures unsupervised, presentations on rounds are more focused, culture of hard work, etc.

As far as the Gomerblog post goes, I read that site frequently and that anti-ER post definitely had a different vibe than most of their stuff. It was less funny, more hostile.

As far as the Gomerblog post goes, I read that site frequently and that anti-ER post definitely had a different vibe than most of their stuff. It was less funny, more hostile.
That's because it was aimed at your specialty and was kind of accurate. I've felt the same way reading stuff on there about mine.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that the strengths of EM are procedures and acute resuscitation while IM begins to shine in the management of the sub-acute and chronic issues. I also agree that 6 hours of rounding is seizure inducing. The "outrage" certainly does bring up the question of pretentious though...

Wow, the skin is running pretty thin around here lately

Reactions: 3 users