gonio lens recs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a starting ophtho resident, and I need to buy a gonio lens. I can't decide between the Sussman (easier to handle), and the Posner (the glaucoma docs all seem to favor this), or a Volk removable handle (which seems nice b/c i won't have to decide, plus i think the glass lens gives a better image?). I hear Zeiss gonios are the best, but I can't seem to find anyone selling them. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

> I hear Zeiss gonios are the best, but I can't seem to find anyone selling them.

Zeiss doesn't make it anymore. The wonders of marketing! The higher ups at Zeiss decided that it was sort of a niche product and looked a bit puny among the glitzy scopes and lasers they market otherwise. (idiots. there is a product known by your own brand name which is very popular among your core customer base. instead of having them made by a supplier and giving them away to graduating residents for free, they take the thing off the market.)

I've been happy with my Volk 4 mirror. Whatever you get though, get one that doesn't need contact gel. It's so much more convenient to have one that you can put straight onto the tear film. Plus you don't mess up the view of the retina

Members don't see this ad :)
I also like my Volk 4 mirror, although i have the angled handle, which many people seem to not like. I'm a fan though - it helps that I'm tall and have long arms; something about the angle I can hold it at, I guess.

7ontheline said:
I also like my Volk 4 mirror, although i have the angled handle, which many people seem to not like. I'm a fan though - it helps that I'm tall and have long arms; something about the angle I can hold it at, I guess.

I have a Volk G4 and Volk G3. Although I agree that it is nice to not need gel with G4, the image is note nearly as nice as with my G3 + Celluvisc. I use the G4 to do a routine angle check, but when I really want to see the angle, I use the G3.

helpless said:
I'm a starting ophtho resident, and I need to buy a gonio lens. I can't decide between the Sussman (easier to handle), and the Posner (the glaucoma docs all seem to favor this), or a Volk removable handle (which seems nice b/c i won't have to decide, plus i think the glass lens gives a better image?). I hear Zeiss gonios are the best, but I can't seem to find anyone selling them. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Dear helpless,

I my experience, I use the Zeiss-type 4 mirror because it is quick and easy and you can compress the cornea to try to "open" an angle during an ACG episode. The four-mirror Zeiss lens doesn't require gonio fluid, easy to use on large or small palpebral fissues and usually doesn't require significant setup time. However, the mirror does can get chipped or the silver chips off over time.

Richard_Hom