Good books for Microbiology, Pharmacology, Pathophysiology and Immunology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't figure out which books to use for these subjects. I heard that there Lippincott's has published books for pharmacology, microbiology and immunology but I don't know how good they are. Although I did like the Lippincott's Biochem....it's was a godsend.

And for pharmacology, I found these cool flashcards on amazon called PharmRecall of something like but I don't know if they're any good.

Can any of you guys suggest some good books for these subjects? (pharmacology, microbiology immunology, and pathophysiology).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just can't figure out which books to use for these subjects. I heard that there Lippincott's has published books for pharmacology, microbiology and immunology but I don't know how good they are. Although I did like the Lippincott's Biochem....it's was a godsend.

And for pharmacology, I found these cool flashcards on amazon called PharmRecall of something like but I don't know if they're any good.

Can any of you guys suggest some good books for these subjects? (pharmacology, microbiology immunology, and pathophysiology).

Pharm - Katzung http://www.amazon.com/Katzung-Trevo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252075674&sr=8-1 or Lippincotts http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-I...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252075926&sr=1-1

Micro and Immuno - http://www.amazon.com/Review-Medica...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252075737&sr=1-1

Pathophysiology - http://www.amazon.com/Robbins-Basic...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252075806&sr=1-3

If you are not a textbook kind of student or if you rather use review books as you go along then get these also

Pharm - Pharm Recall
Micro - Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
Immuno - The Lange Immuno section is small enough so stick with that
Pathophysio - Rapid Review Path

Pharm: lippincotts is really really good..

Micro: havent found any great text (FA probably the best); MMRS and FA were decent

Path: BRS or RR + Robbins review questions

Immuno: dunno its a pretty small course; used my class notes a lot for that one

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the Brenner Pharm flashcards right now, and they're helping with my courses a lot.

I'm pretty sure that no decent immunology text exists. The one I tried to use (Janeway) goes waaaay into detail with this research that *might* suggest this and these four research studies that *imply* this. After three hours you're 20 pages in and you don't remember a damn thing that you've read.

I'm pretty sure that no decent immunology text exists. The one I tried to use (Janeway) goes waaaay into detail with this research that *might* suggest this and these four research studies that *imply* this. After three hours you're 20 pages in and you don't remember a damn thing that you've read.
I use Parham's The Immune System and I like it.

I use Parham's The Immune System and I like it.

Ah, WTF, really??? My medical school uses this text and I hate it. It is written in pieces! No flow whatsoever. But lots of people in my class liked it...

I have always liked Abbas- there are two books and I believe Basic Immunology is the one used by medical students- it reads much better than Parham if you plan on using it as a primary reference. (Either would probably work as a supplement)

But, to use a text like that as a review for Step 1 is a glorious waste of time. For review, the lange review of micro & immuno does the job, or maybe something even shorter. Immuno just isn't covered that much on the test from what I have seen.

BRS, medium Robbin's, and Goljan audio...that's pretty much M-2 year.

Immunology by Kuby is an excellent book.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard How the Immune System Works isn't bad for review. You could probably just read the chapter in Robbins that goes over hypersensitivity autoimmune and immunodeficiency, as long as you've got a good path text the other stuff you'll pick up all the relevant immuno in probably a better context; key especially is renal path and rheum.

For Micro, I used CMMRS and I think that is good if you want a book or review. For pharm, lippincott golan is good as a textbook, pharm recall as a review. For path, robbins as a textbook, goljan as a review, goljan does a much better job at pathophys than even robbins so if this is for boards use that.

First Aid for Immuno, otherwise just use what's there for class. PreTest Micro has questions to supplement Immuno.

Pharm: I liked the Lange Pharm Cards to review pharm and otherwise I used PreTest to drill in some Pharm drugs that were key

Micro: CMMRS hands down

Path: Rapid Review hands down and Webpath

Ah, WTF, really??? My medical school uses this text and I hate it. It is written in pieces! No flow whatsoever. But lots of people in my class liked it...

really? I LOVE this book (and I've never said that about any other book except perhaps for Rohen's atlas). I guess it goes to show you that whatever works with someone doesn't mean it's going to work with someone else.

http://www.amazon.com/Immune-System-Includes-Desktop-Edition/dp/0470657294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397240232&sr=8-1&keywords=how the immune system works

This is the book we used during my PhD program. It's lighter on details but hammers concepts in perfectly. It takes like a weekend to read through and once you understand what the **** is going on, you can fill in all the stupid details from FA.

I literally missed 2 questions in our entire immunology block (3 tests) because of the good background this book provided to me years ago. On Uworld, I missed <10 questions with just a pass through FA putting in the small details. Seriously, this book is awesome.

Last edited: