Good Clinical Volunteering Choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A People Person Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question:

After searching for clinical volunteer opportunities for several months, I was finally able orientation for a volunteer position at one of the hospitals in my area. However, due to my schedule (only available early mornings/after 5pm/weekends), I learned that I would only be able to work at the children's hospital with the patients in the playroom. Is this a worthwhile opportunity? I was hoping to find a position in the ER but was informed that spots do not open up often and the next available opening wouldn't be for another 7+ months.

A little background: I graduated undergrad in Public Health last year and now work full-time (9-5). I will begin a post-bacc (taking evening classes) in January. Originally, the plan was to use this time before I start classes to shadow and volunteer in the healthcare field to gain more exposure; my schedule has made it a little more difficult.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

That's perfect. Clinical volunteering isn't a mandate that you see people in their beds or being wheeled out of surgery. A patient is a patient and if you're close enough to smell them, it's a clinical experience!

Quick Question:

After searching for clinical volunteer opportunities for several months, I was finally able orientation for a volunteer position at one of the hospitals in my area. However, due to my schedule (only available early mornings/after 5pm/weekends), I learned that I would only be able to work at the children's hospital with the patients in the playroom. Is this a worthwhile opportunity? I was hoping to find a position in the ER but was informed that spots do not open up often and the next available opening wouldn't be for another 7+ months.

A little background: I graduated undergrad in Public Health last year and now work full-time (9-5). I will begin a post-bacc (taking evening classes) in January. Originally, the plan was to use this time before I start classes to shadow and volunteer in the healthcare field to gain more exposure; my schedule has made it a little more difficult.

Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 users
That's perfect. Clinical volunteering isn't a mandate that you see people in their beds or being wheeled out of surgery. A patient is a patient and if you're close enough to smell them, it's a clinical experience!
Great, that's good to hear! Thanks!