good ER rotations for DO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaBlackRose

I'ma be a doctor!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year osteopathic student who is 100% ER bound. I am looking for good ER rotations (with residency programs attached) that will accept osteopathic students. Particularly places I can get a lot of hands on or amazing teaching.

Anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

Akron General. And they put you up in a hotel for housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest St. Barnabas in the Bronx. I did my ER there, they have an osteo residency and they take about 20 candidates. As a student there for a month, I placed about 150 IVs, got to do tons of bedside procedures, more lacerations than one can handle etc.

Also it is a level 1 trauma so you see all sorts of traumas come in. Although I am going ob/gyn if i were to do my training anywhere i would chose this place. All the chiefs came out have great jobs lined up for the following year and as a student they were all very nice and let you do so much.

Spohn Memorial in Corpus Christi, TX takes DO for their ER residency. It's where all the trauma patients go in the city. You may want to try to do a rotation there first. Also, if you need an intern year first there is Bay Area Hospital that is a DO residency in FP/IM/Internship so you could stay in the same city.

There was a guy in my class who did his intern year with us at Bay then transferred over to Spohn for ER.

Spohn Memorial is where they took Selena.

awesome. Keep them coming!

I've heard that Henry Ford in MI is good as well.

Also, I am trying to decide DO vs. MD for ER residency choices. and It seems that all the advice I'm getting is based off of rumors.(like the DO residencies aren't as good since they are at trauma 2 sites and 4 years, etc) If you have any info, let me know..