Good fitting scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfbird

Rat Wrangler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So at my old place of work we had scrubs that were provided by a uniform company, and since they were always just "there" I never bothered to look at the brand. I do know they were color coded - light blue was the smallest, orange was the next size up, then brown, then red, then black (I believe).

Now I'm working elsewhere and am dying for some scrubs, work attire is plain t-shirts but I honestly don't have that many ones I can get dirty/ripped up/puked on. I would like a good few pairs of scrubs just so I can designate those my "work" clothes.

My mom was super nice and got me a pair for my birthday, but sadly even the X-small is GIANT on me, and even if they were hemmed they would be enormously wide and too big. The pants are another story, I swear I could tie the waist at my neck and they'd still drag on the floor. :smuggrin:

Does anyone recommend some scrubs that fit petite people? I prefer mine with a chest pocket and a V-neck, and pull-tie bottoms. Most of all they have to fit, so any brand suggestions would be wonderful. If I could even find out what brand the ones were at my old work were, I'd be set.

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I like the baby phat scrub pants because they're actually cute, but they're a bit pricey. Their shirts are a bit wild for my tastes.

Otherwise I just buy off this place http://www.veterinaryapparel.com I like their paw print line because the stuff isn't so boxy and unfitted like the unisex stuff.

Depending how tiny you are I have had good luck with allheart XXS scrubs. They hold up well and are relatively cheap. (For reference I am just under 5')

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cherokkee Workwear Scrubs!! LOVE THEM! They come in petite and bootcut bottoms which I love. They come in tons of solid colors and fit nicely. I actually have a purple set on right now as I'm on my way out the door! :D They're usually on sale and a total set runs about $25. Just try them on before buying. I'm a size 6 and wear an XS. Depending on your size you may need the XXS.

their scrubs tend to be a bit pricey but super comfortable. i'm not sure you're looking for cute scrubs, but the vet at the shelter i volunteered at got a couple for me as a going away gift when i went to college and i still wear it! check out animalkingdomscrubs.com

i'm like 5 ft tall and 115 lbs... and my scrubs from there (i can't remember if i have smalls or extra smalls) are kinda tight on me now... le sigh... i remember the good ole days back in high school when i could effortlessly keep my figure

someone also donated a bunch of scrubs at the same shelter, and the xxs ones fit me pretty well. the name on the tag says natural uniforms.

XS Peaches scrubs fit me well and I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs. They drag the floor a little bit but I roll them up and they're great!

I agree with the peaches scrubs, but if you are short (i'm 5'3) get the petite sized pants because mine aren't and they drag the floor

My favorite brand would have to be Urbane (no - not urban). They have really fun colors with contrasting ribbony stuff, flattering cuts (as flattering as scrubs can be), and they're for women so the sizes are much better. Just be careful - some have see through-ish bottoms and it took me MONTHS to notice that my fun stripey underwear showed through.

I've also got some with the color coding like you were talking about... lets see... the tag says Medline - AngelStat.

I have smalls in both brands, Medline is definitely a bit bigger than Urbane.

if everyone is 5ft tall in vet school, i'm gonna feel like a giant.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm obsessed with Iguana Med scrubs. They have cute styles and fit well! Tons of pockets too!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Grey's Anatomy scrubs by Barco fit really well of you're S or XS! A nit pricey, but so cute!

If you can get the right style, they are also extremely comfortable--something about the fabric!

I also like the Dickies fit on my figure, but they are nowhere as soft.

I like the Greys Anatomy pants as well.
The hair tends to cling to them more than some other brands I've found though. The fabric is almost too soft.

I'm 5'9" and change, and vet med is the one field I've worked in where I don't feel like a giant! From my experience at least, there are lot of women who are 5'7+.

Oooh, thanks everyone! Reading the size charts I probably will need an XXS, but it's good to see some references here. Now I almost have too many choices!

Is it just me, or does it seem majority of veterinarians are short women? It's just something I've noticed, maybe there's some sort of "short person" complex that leads us to want to be vets?

I certainly don't mean to say tall people can't be vets, but I would say about 70-80% of vets I meet are teeny tiny women. And when we're all in school together, the tall people can examine the top of a horse and us shorties can look at the underside. :laugh:

There's maybe two girls in my class as tiny as all these people are...I'm a little surprised at the representation on this board. Anyway I'm a 5'10" healthy rugby player at 170 lbs, and I don't even feel that tall in my class. Many guys bigger than me and several other women too.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 5'9" and change, and vet med is the one field I've worked in where I don't feel like a giant! From my experience at least, there are lot of women who are 5'7+.

all of the female vets i've worked with have been about that height as well. it was more of just a joke on this thread b/c everyone responding was around 5'0-5'3". :)

add me to the tiny group. i'm just 5'1

this thread has been great. i usually have to ask my fiance to hem my scrub pants and i just deal with the huge scrub tops. maybe i can get some properly fitting clothes!

Haha, maybe there's a split? Only short and tall, no intermediates. :laugh:

So I think I'm going with allheart scrubs, I ambushed a freshman pre-med who was wearing her scrubs (they wear them to their meetings) and asked her what brand. She didn't know, so I looked at her tag and it was an allheart small. I think I'll fit just fine into the XXS, plus they looked soft and comfy.

I think I scared her, because I passed her in the hall and was staring, then decided to ask and turned around and said "Hey, can I ask what brand scrubs those are?" and she turned around all bug eyed at me, but she was super nice about it.

You all make me feel so much better. I'm not short but I'm not particularly large by way of frame....It's a running joke that I'll have to hire someone to wrestle chihuahua's for me...:laugh: Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not big and strong, per say.

Hey! I'm 5'3", does that count as short or intermediate? I vote for intermediate and in that case, we do exist!

Back to the topic at hand.. I promised I would reward myself with some cute scrubs (ie fitting properly) once I get into vet school. In the meantime, I'll schelp around in these things and keep reminding myself of my goal.

Hey! I'm 5'3", does that count as short or intermediate? I vote for intermediate and in that case, we do exist!

Back to the topic at hand.. I promised I would reward myself with some cute scrubs (ie fitting properly) once I get into vet school. In the meantime, I'll schelp around in these things and keep reminding myself of my goal.

i dunno...i'm gonna go for short with intermediate being 5'4-5'6" ;) JUST missed the cut jk. if i get into vet school i'm rewarding myself with a dog. :D

Dickies makes a new scrub that is made out of a stretchy material that moves when you do, yet has a very flattering fit. I fell in love with them and have received so many complements on them. They even have the side leg pockets and a slight flare on the bottom of the leg.

Digging this thread up....any good sources of cheap scrubs? I'm talking no more than $25ish for a set. I'm tired of doing laundry twice a week.

I don't need anything too crazy....we clean with bleach a lot. Need I say more?

Digging this thread up....any good sources of cheap scrubs? I'm talking no more than $25ish for a set. I'm tired of doing laundry twice a week.

go to a thrift store and look.

i got a $12 set from walmart - they are bare bones, but comfy and made for an excellent "spare" set

i got a $12 set from walmart - they are bare bones, but comfy and made for an excellent "spare" set
All of mine are from Walmart, but the selection is so small and my Walmart sets run at about $30. I guess that's the standard, but I was hoping someone knew of a place to get sets for around $20. I checked out veterinaryapparel.com, but their clearance section is picked over and I couldn't find anything coordinating in my size. Definitely going to keep checking though.

Did you find your set on sale? I've looked a lot and I've only seen the tops themselves at about $12-15.

All of mine are from Walmart, but the selection is so small and my Walmart sets run at about $30. I guess that's the standard, but I was hoping someone knew of a place to get sets for around $20. I checked out veterinaryapparel.com, but their clearance section is picked over and I couldn't find anything coordinating in my size. Definitely going to keep checking though.

Did you find your set on sale? I've looked a lot and I've only seen the tops themselves at about $12-15.
I got all my scrubs at thrift stores around my area. Pants usually ran about $1 and tops were $1.50.

not on sale, just found them on the rack? idk, it was a while ago (they had a whole bunch though)

Yeah definitely check out thrift stores. I know the Goodwills in my area have a whole section for scrubs. Or just browse the sweatpant rack, I've found a couple pairs there as well.

I've bought either Dickey's or Cherokee (can't remember off the top of my head which one) for around $25/ set off of amazon. I buy the junior fit pants because I think they run a little more petite-like than their normal pants. They shrink some so if they're big when you buy them, they will shrink about an inch of two in length and a little in the waste size. They aren't the softest, but they get softer with time. I bought them for anatomy lab so I wanted ones that wouldn't hold formalin stains or the stench and they held up well enough to shadow a ton in this summer. I am really petite up top so I think I bought a smaller top size than pants, but I love them!

So I just did a paper on the risks of thrift store scrub shopping. Long story short, throw them in your high heat dryer BEFORE washing them, just to be safe :)

Reactions: 1 users
So I just did a paper on the risks of thrift store scrub shopping. Long story short, throw them in your high heat dryer BEFORE washing them, just to be safe :)

wliia_ew.gif

...what... I mean, are th... I don't even...

Really though...how bad are we talking?

LOL the GIFs .... Well as we all know, most microbes will only be opportunistic after so long, but things like C-Dif can last for weeks on fabric. So if by some disturbing reason a CNA or Nurse that has the most close contact with a sickly person decides to donate their scrubs without washing them... then, well, ... ya know. :sick:

I second Amazon. That's where I got all my scrubs. If you know someone who has a prime account, it's even cheaper.

I have found scrubs that fit me at Fleet Farm or Thiesen's (farm stores) along with Walmart. All of those stores sell petite sizes, I can't say they are soft like the Grey's Anatomy scrubs but if you don't want to break the bank try the farm stores.

FYI I am 5 feet and 100lbs on a good day.

I'm short and very petite as well. I found that scrubs, particularly pants, labeled as "junior fit" are more flattering on me. I get the Cherokee workwear junior fit pants in like an XXS haha. The Grey's Anatomy mock wrap tops are great too, though a bit pricier. I don't look like a 5 year old in her parent's scrubs anymore :joyful:

I'm short and very petite as well. I found that scrubs, particularly pants, labeled as "junior fit" are more flattering on me. I get the Cherokee workwear junior fit pants in like an XXS haha. The Grey's Anatomy mock wrap tops are great too, though a bit pricier. I don't look like a 5 year old in her parent's scrubs anymore :joyful:
The Grey's Anatomy tops are the absolute best :love: Worth the price I think because I like to look less like a rectangle, even if they are just scrubs.

I'm just going to throw out a shout-out for Ebay. If you know what size you're looking for you can easily find new scrubs for a few dollars. The quality can be hit-or-miss, but you can find brand-name things discounted, too.

I work part-time in a research lab and a vet clinic, and can (and have) autoclave my scrubs and lab coats at both places for that very reason.