Good Grades - Bad OAT Scores - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My grades in the required science courses are pretty good, probably around a 3.3 GPA. I've taken the OAT twice, and so far the best I've done was a 270 overall. I'm taking an online Kaplan course now, but I'm still afraid that when I take the test again my score won't improve enough.

Are there any schools that look at grades, evaluation letters, etc. a little more than the OAT scores?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
Hello,

My grades in the required science courses are pretty good, probably around a 3.3 GPA. I've taken the OAT twice, and so far the best I've done was a 270 overall. I'm taking an online Kaplan course now, but I'm still afraid that when I take the test again my score won't improve enough.

Are there any schools that look at grades, evaluation letters, etc. a little more than the OAT scores?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
your GPA isnt that good. with ur OAT score, I dont know which school will accept u. Perhaps Puerto Rico or PCO or NOVA or ICO. Try those and u might get accepted.

Thanks. I don't know about Puerto Rico, but I'll try the others. I don't think I would like living there too much. I was in Miami for a week one time and felt like I was in a different country so that might not be for me. I'll try the others though. I am going to take the OAT again sometime this month so hopefully I'll improve, but who knows I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't give up. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

I think the best is not to rush to take the OAT... make sure you are completely ready before heading into it. Take lots of practice exams (Kaplan has a LOT) and use their worksheets.

Best of luck to ya!

I am taking an online Kaplan course now, so maybe I will be able to do better on the OAT next time. I have a Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Science though, so now I'm just taking the physics/chem/bio classes that are required for optometry school. Out of all the required prerequisite courses, I have all A's and B's except for 1 C. I was hoping that would have some influence on the schools, but it looks like my OAT score is really holding me back.

RLK said:
I am taking an online Kaplan course now, so maybe I will be able to do better on the OAT next time. I have a Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Science though, so now I'm just taking the physics/chem/bio classes that are required for optometry school. Out of all the required prerequisite courses, I have all A's and B's except for 1 C. I was hoping that would have some influence on the schools, but it looks like my OAT score is really holding me back.

If you plan on retaking it, def. make sure you're ready...if your 3rd score is like your previous 2 the admissions comittee will look down on it. If they see improvement between the 3 tests they'll see that you really worked hard and the OAT won't be an issue, just maybe a topic for conversation at your interview.

Hey how did you end up doing? Ever get an interview or acceptance?

Unfortunately for you, most schools weight the OAT much higher than GPA since its more of an equalizer.
GPA varies widely by major, school policy, etc.