Good Grades, High MCAT, but commiteed a felony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At age 15, a friend of mine committed a felony and was tried as an adult. He has a 3.65 gpa and and a 31 on the MCAT. Since he has a record, is there any way he can still get into Podiatry school? He has excellent ECs and has completly turned his life around. He is now 27 years old. Would a pod school reject him for something that happened when he was only 15? Keep in mind that he was tried as an adult, and this thing is still on his record. Any comments will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

clc8503 said:
At age 15, a friend of mine committed a felony and was tried as an adult. He has a 3.65 gpa and and a 31 on the MCAT. Since he has a record, is there any way he can still get into Podiatry school? He has excellent ECs and has completly turned his life around. He is now 27 years old. Would a pod school reject him for something that happened when he was only 15? Keep in mind that he was tried as an adult, and this thing is still on his record. Any comments will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks

It probably depends on what the felony was. Like, was it mail fraud or ... murder? bith felonies but very different offenses.

I suggest calling the admissions offices and discussing it with them.

krabmas said:
It probably depends on what the felony was. Like, was it mail fraud or ... murder? bith felonies but very different offenses.

I suggest calling the admissions offices and discussing it with them.

He also needs to find out if he can even get a DEA# with his record even if he did graduate. Without that, not much you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
He could easily practice w/o a DEA number if he was in a large practice. But I would suggest contacting schools or the AACPM. I think that if the event was 15 years ago he would be fine. I would have to know what the charge was also. Is it a class 1, 2 or 3 felony?

Another option would be for him to hire a lawyer and work to get pardoned from the governor of his respective state. Then there is no issue.

Dr_Feelgood said:
He could easily practice w/o a DEA number if he was in a large practice. But I would suggest contacting schools or the AACPM. I think that if the event was 15 years ago he would be fine. I would have to know what the charge was also. Is it a class 1, 2 or 3 felony?

Another option would be for him to hire a lawyer and work to get pardoned from the governor of his respective state. Then there is no issue.

I think it would be difficult to get hired on somewhere practicing medicine without a DEA#. Psionic Blast was saying that he had a teacher in college who was an MD but could not get a DEA# because of some issue. She couldnt find a job. Just something to think about.

I'm not totally disagreeing but I'd hire the guy. Hell you can pay him less and work him like a dog. You sit back write scrips and make the dough.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I'm not totally disagreeing but I'd hire the guy. Hell you can pay him less and work him like a dog. You sit back write scrips and make the dough.

After I posted this I realized that some people can't take a joke. So if you are offended by this joke, tough. Call 1-800-I DONT CARE.

Thank you
Dr. Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood said:
After I posted this I realized that some people can't take a joke. So if you are offended by this joke, tough. Call 1-800-I DONT CARE.

Thank you
Dr. Feelgood

No, no...you've got a point there.

It's pretty serious if you were at age 15 and tried as an adult.
I know in California, the school here won't admit students who were convicted of a felony because the director said that it is illegal for a felon to dorm/closely interact with clean background students. This may or may not be true.

In addition, keep in mind that during rotations, the clinics and hospitals have their own background requirements and usually, the pod school you go to would run those background checks prior to starting class and/or rotations.

The grades and mcat clearly shows that he is a very good/focused student and I'm sure he turned his life around. I suggest that he consult a lawyer and arrange to speak to the appropriate judge to get his record expunged. Having good grades, test scores, and recommendation definately helps clearing the record.

gsrimport said:
It's pretty serious if you were at age 15 and tried as an adult.
I know in California, the school here won't admit students who were convicted of a felony because the director said that it is illegal for a felon to dorm/closely interact with clean background students. This may or may not be true.

In addition, keep in mind that during rotations, the clinics and hospitals have their own background requirements and usually, the pod school you go to would run those background checks prior to starting class and/or rotations.

The grades and mcat clearly shows that he is a very good/focused student and I'm sure he turned his life around. I suggest that he consult a lawyer and arrange to speak to the appropriate judge to get his record expunged. Having good grades, test scores, and recommendation definately helps clearing the record.

I agree 110%. But I know of 15 year olds that have been charged as an adult for assault charges b/c of a fight. Most assult charges w/o a weapon are class 3 felonies which is easily cleared from ones record.

"1-800-I DONT CARE"

Hello? hello? hello?

Hmmm, Dean Pods must not be in again today!

I have a M.D. teacher at ISU part time faculty that could not get a job because she could not get a DEA# she said that she felt like she was pretty much screwed. Lots of debt and not making much money. I don't know the particulars of the law so that is all I'll say, but she was very depressed about it.

I can see this. You are at the mercy of those willing to hire you.