Good IM chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohsik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apart from the U.chicago, what are other good IM programs in chicago..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

heard great things about Loyola's program

Actually, have heard not so great things about Loyola's program. kind of malignant i hear. also if you get a chance, take a look at where the residents are coming from. there are better programs in chicago. University of Chicago is considered the top program in Chicago. After that, UIC and Northwestern come next depending on who you talk to. The fellowships are probably more impressive for the NU grads, but the autonomy and the training at UIC is great.

Rush is also a pretty good program.

Members don't see this ad :)
word on the chicago streets is...

1) U of Chicago
2) Northwestern
3) Rush
4) UIC
5) Loyola

Loyola's program is horrible. Malignancy and condescension are the mainstay. The attendings are all homegrown and inbred, and run the program like a fraternity. Resident conflicts are handled with favoritism and fascism rather than justice. Why lower yourself to Loyola when U of C, UIC, and Northwestern have better names, better training, and are in better locations?

However... if you are a DO graduate then I say go for Loyola, because the other programs don't really consider DOs whereas Loyola welcomes them with open arms.

what about illinois masonic, lutheran general or st. james? any thoughts?

loyola is a hellhole ..keep away from there!

oh boy, i better look twice before some of these chicago programs then... seems like other than chicago and maybe NW, the other programs are questionable....

I really think this forum is giving an inaccurate representation of Loyola. I am a resident there and I love it. It is not the easiest program in chicago but i don't find it malignant and the program director is great. I think the prepartation one receives here is second to none in Chicago.

What are the sources for these people calling loyola a "hell hole". I looked at some of the other chicago programs when I was applying and found I didnt like places like Rush (all private attendings) and UIC as much, but still consider them great programs. U of C and northwestern are obviously more highly regarded and could lead to better fellowships but I had no problem matching into a competitive fellowship from loyola.

People love to sling mud on this site. I often have to question how much real information they have about a particular program.

if you say you didn't like a program, for all of those out there applying next year, please give reasons.
I'd personally be happy to answer questions about UIC. I think it is a great program, with some minor faults that are being corrected every year. The autonomy is excellent and like all chicago programs the patient population is strong.
I'd didn't like Rush on my interview trail. I am not a fan of programs with a large number of private attendings. I personally didn't want to spend time on the phone tracking them down all the time (coming from a med school with privates). But it has an excellent reputation for medicine (some of the best attendings I worked with in Medical school trained at Rush), and the residents are happy from what I hear.
I know little of Loyola, but from what I hear it is strong. U of C and NW seem to garner all of the attention in the city and I can't say whether it is deserved or not, but it is time they shared it a bit.