Good income for starting pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Over9000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am evaluating jobs at the moment and would like to know what a good starting income is for a new pathologist.

Please don't share numbers in the public form - this can only do harm. Communicate with me through PM instead. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Impossible question to answer. Too many variables.

experience is everything. From as little as 100K for someone out of training to as much as 275K for someone coming out of jr faculty or military position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pleasantly surprised to be starting at 180k in an assistant professor position (in the South) in the city of my choice. In certain parts of the country academic salaries are rising, though will never be competitive with private practice.

I am pleasantly surprised to be starting at 180k in an assistant professor position (in the South) in the city of my choice. In certain parts of the country academic salaries are rising, though will never be competitive with private practice.

That is 25th percentile of the AAMC mean starting salary for assistant professor in anatomic pathology.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1403823584.348754.jpg

180k in the Midwest or south is pretty good for an academic job. The same amount in the east coast or west coast is barely enough to survive on. I've seen numbers below this on the coasts, as well as offers of 250k starting in the Midwest and east coast.