General Admissions & OTCAS Good jobs for undergrad OT students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadandHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

So my major in undergrad is designed to prepare me for Occupational Therapy school. I currently work in a research lab that studies gait after bariatric surgery and general motor development, but I don't get paid. I would really like to have a job that is relevant to rehabilitation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

So my major in undergrad is designed to prepare me for Occupational Therapy school. I currently work in a research lab that studies gait after bariatric surgery and general motor development, but I don't get paid. I would really like to have a job that is relevant to rehabilitation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
PT/OT Aide

Hi there,

Thanks!

Look for work as a PT Aide. OT Aide positions are harder to find. Just make sure the location also has OTs on site. You get to see both PT and OT and work alongaide the therapists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably regional differences. More OT aides here.

I would also looking into nursing homes. I volunteered in he rehab department for hours, but they had employees working as patient care aides and recreation aides. While they weren't directly under an OT or PT they were part of the care team and assisted residents with completed ADLs IADLs and social activities. It would be great experience and many of them were applying to or accepted to both PT and Ot programs. The experiences you gain would be tremendous assets in getting letters of Rec and writing your essays.

Reactions: 1 user
I work as a paraprofessional at a school for autistic children and kids with other disabilities (Down syndrome, SPD, Dravet syndrome). The school has full-time OT, OTA, PT, PTA, and SLP employed there so all the students can get their therapy during school hours, which is a godsend for the parents. It's tough, but I've learned so much about pediatric OT, PT, speech. I would definitely recommend looking into something like this.
I also work weekends at a day-hab program for adults with developmental disabilities. Basically like an adult day care. We play games, makes crafts, cook, exercise... This is also not the easiest job, but definitely OT related in that I help clients with activities of daily living every day.

Would you be working full time ? I don't know what state you live in but I'm from Illinois. I worked as a service coordinator in the Early Intervention program. I'm not sure if the program is the same in every state and I don't know what the requirement is to hold this position is from state to state but ... I loved this job- it allowed for amazing networking obviously with OTs but also physical therapist, SLPs, social workers etc. I completed initial developmental screenings for kids ( and a lot of paperwork unfortunately) . I also work part time in a private adult and pediatric pt/0t/st clinic. Look into the smaller private clinics- maybe that was you can form a good bond with a therapist there that can write you a LOR.

Best of luck !