Good MCAT score with low BB score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bsch1951

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 510 on my MCAT with scores of CP:128 CARS:128 BB:125 PS:129. BB was typically my best section on practice exams and I don't know where I went wrong. Will this low BB score keep me out of any mid-range school cutoffs?

Members don't see this ad.

My sGPA is around a 3.9 so I was just wondering if my low BB score would be considered a red flag since it doesn't line up with what my GPA says about my ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
That equates to a 9 on the old exam, which is not that low - especially since your composite score = a 31-32.

Of course, it's the most valued section according to what I have seen, but I don't see it causing problems as long as your sGPA is high.
Why do you think that B/B is the most valued section? I've heard that CARS is often considered the most important, since it correlates with MS-3 and MS-4 performance more than the other sections do

Check with MSAR at Bio subscores and their percentiles to give you an idea of the hole you're in.

I got a 510 on my MCAT with scores of CP:128 CARS:128 BB:125 PS:129. BB was typically my best section on practice exams and I don't know where I went wrong. Will this low BB score keep me out of any mid-range school cutoffs?

Last edited:
it would at mine. Didn't you learn anything from your Biology courses? Look in MSAR at Bio subscores and their percentiles to give you an idea of the hole you're in.

Does your school still screen out applicants with 125 B/B scores?

I had 4 interviews from 9 schools applied to in Texas last year with a 124 and 125 in P/S and CARS, respectively. I recognize neither of these are B/B, but my point is that a 125 isn’t DOA unless you’re trying for Harvard and friends...and even then I don’t really think it’s strictly DOA.

Last edited:
B/B is arguably the most heavily weighted section on the MCAT. I think a 125 in B/B will handicap you greatly but won't be entirely lethal if you apply broadly and realistically.

Why do you think that B/B is the most valued section? I've heard that CARS is often considered the most important, since it correlates with MS-3 and MS-4 performance more than the other sections do

Incorrect. The most recent literature has shown B/B has the highest correlation with step 1 performance and is the most heavily weighted subject.

Reactions: 1 user

I’m applying this cycle with a 513, but a 125 in B/B, and have 5 MD interviews so far. I don’t think it’s a death sentence , OP.

I’m applying this cycle with a 513, but a 125 in B/B, and have 5 MD interviews so far. I don’t think it’s a death sentence , OP.

I applied this cycle with a similar MCAT score to OP's and 126 in B/B. I also have 5 MD interviews 5 DO interviews with 1 DO acceptance so far.

n=1