Good options to switch to from premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Ever since HS, I was dead set on becoming a doctor and through my soph year college I enjoyed volunteering, shadowing while I completed the prereqs. I have a high GPA and am set to finish a Psychology Major. However, recently I've been second guessing myself: I don't really want to be in school for a large chunk of my life all for a job which is getting worse by the new laws and all.
I'm sure many have gone through this phase and considered other career options but was wondering if anyone actually followed through.

I'm looking for alternate options which are high paying, will provide necessary free time to start a family and enjoy life, and with high job satisfaction. I don't want to end up switching majors and all to prolong my education and wanted to know if there are any good jobs for a psychology major. I'd prefer those which don't require grad school, though I'd be fine if they only involve <2 years learning/grad school post graduation. Any advice or options for a psych major premed to switch into? Or am I asking for too much...

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to find a good job in psychology with a bachelors.

Reactions: 1 users
there are no high paying jobs in psych field with that little schooling

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to find a good job in psychology with a bachelors.

Doesnt have to be in psychology, I am completing a business administration minor but don't know any good specific jobs or careers I can get with these.

I'm considering the possibility of getting an MBA but only if I wouldn't have to take additional undergrad classes to be accepted into MBA programs or if there is a possibility I can work a decent job while completing the MBA . Any other fields are fine too

Doesnt have to be in psychology, I am completing a business administration minor but don't know any good specific jobs or careers I can get with these.

I'm considering the possibility of getting an MBA but only if I wouldn't have to take additional undergrad classes to be accepted into MBA programs or if there is a possibility I can work a decent job while completing the MBA . Any other fields are fine too
Hmm. Advertising? Plays in fairly well with psychology, and relates business in it as well. Doesn't require much grad school. Jobs are a bit hard to get, but if you can build a portfolio you should be set.

If you want to make big money, you need to invest education, effort, and time.

If you want to spend lots of time at home and not spend more than another 3-4 years in school, you will have to settle for less income.

By and large, the world doesn't come with magic shortcuts. Even the people who "make it" big do so at the cost of their personal lives, their time, and they expend lots and lots of grueling effort.

I don't know what your definition of good money is, but very few people get above $100k without putting in long hours and making sacrifices. Chances are, you won't be the lucky exception :(

Reactions: 8 users

If you want to spend lots of time at home and not spend more than another 3-4 years in school, you will have to settle for less income.

By and large, the world doesn't come with magic shortcuts. Even the people who "make it" big do so at the cost of their personal lives, their time, and they expend lots and lots of grueling effort.

I don't know what your definition of good money is, but very few people get above $100k without putting in long hours and making sacrifices. Chances are, you won't be the lucky exception :(

I'm quoting this message simply because I want OP to read it again.

Decide what you want to do with your life, and complete the steps necessary to do that. For medicine, that means going through the woes of pre-med, med school, and residency. For a psych career, that means more than likely obtaining a Ph.D and fighting for a job in that field. MBA's are great to have only if you can get into a top MBA program, and not an internet college's MBA or a non-ranked school's program. Otherwise, I'd recommend you not try that route.

The only way to find what is "highly satisfying" to you is to work. Don't invest in graduate school until you know what you want to do. Your MBA experience will only be enhanced once you have experience in the business field. If you can't get a high paying job with a bachelors right out of college (which you most likely will not) get an entry level position as an admin assistant or data coordinator or whatever strikes your fancy at a growing company you are interested in. Growing companies have opportunities to move up. If that doesn't pan out after a year or two at least you have experience on your resume and a better idea what you like and don't like.

One of the biggest issues with our generation is people seem to believe getting a simple bachelors is your ticket to a high paying job with flexibility. That just isn't the reality. College degrees are simply a requirement.

What about becoming a PA? It's similar work to a physician with much less schooling (and less pay, but still enough to live well on), more time for family, and high job satisfaction.

Well said, Red.

Haha this is probably just a temporary phase caused from slight burnout of premed.. I'll come to my senses soon

@blackrim I've heard that PAs have it equally as bad as doctors in terms of lifestyle and work hours. Many compare them to residents working permanently

On another note, would anyone with any business knowledge whatsoever recommend a minor in Business Administration or Economics?

Human Resources

Ever since HS, I was dead set on becoming a doctor and through my soph year college I enjoyed volunteering, shadowing while I completed the prereqs. I have a high GPA and am set to finish a Psychology Major. However, recently I've been second guessing myself: I don't really want to be in school for a large chunk of my life all for a job which is getting worse by the new laws and all.
I'm sure many have gone through this phase and considered other career options but was wondering if anyone actually followed through.

I'm looking for alternate options which are high paying, will provide necessary free time to start a family and enjoy life, and with high job satisfaction. I don't want to end up switching majors and all to prolong my education and wanted to know if there are any good jobs for a psychology major. I'd prefer those which don't require grad school, though I'd be fine if they only involve <2 years learning/grad school post graduation. Any advice or options for a psych major premed to switch into? Or am I asking for too much...

Haha this is probably just a temporary phase caused from slight burnout of premed.. I'll come to my senses soon

@blackrim I've heard that PAs have it equally as bad as doctors in terms of lifestyle and work hours. Many compare them to residents working permanently

On another note, would anyone with any business knowledge whatsoever recommend a minor in Business Administration or Economics?

Really? I've never heard that about PAs. Mostly I've heard that they work normal-ish hours, have less paperwork, etc.

It has its downsides, of course, which is why I'm not going that route. But it seems like the most logical alternative for someone who enjoys medicine but doesn't want to dedicate his/her life to it and feels okay with making the tradeoff of less autonomy, etc.

Really? I've never heard that about PAs. Mostly I've heard that they work normal-ish hours, have less paperwork, etc.

It has its downsides, of course, which is why I'm not going that route. But it seems like the most logical alternative for someone who enjoys medicine but doesn't want to dedicate his/her life to it and feels okay with making the tradeoff of less autonomy, etc.
PAs don't have it that bad. The ones I worked with for the past 2 years averaged ~40hrs/week, had a modest call schedule if they were inpatient, had plenty of vaccation time, and were reasonably compensated.

be a manager at a grocery store or something. You actually get paid not too shabby

Podiatry is my second option,

Most podiatrists work great hours (no call, no weekends), growing profession, high salary (depending what you do, most make between 100-220k+), much less competitive for a pod school seat (average cGPA somewhere around 3.2 or 3.3, and MCAT like 23 or somewhere around there?), and the patient/caregiver and leadership dynamic mirrors that of MD/DO

Perfusion is a good second option. I recommend checking it out.

Got my undergrad in Business Administration and worked for a few years before switching to the medical field. I would recommend Business over Econ because you get more practical knowledge out of the Business degree. At least, that was my experience. I am not saying Econ would hurt your job prospects or anything, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely still go with Business.

You mentioned an MBA. Almost every worthwhile program requires you work for a few years before returning to school, and they are usually two years of study. So, keep in mind that you will have to spend a few years beefing up your resume while being paid at a bachelor's level of experience before you can even start the MBA program.

In the original post, you mentioned high pay, good lifestyle, high job satisfaction, and <2 years of study after graduation. As others have said, you are asking too much for what you offer in return. You are going to have to compromise on at least one of your criteria.

ETA: If you have any other questions about going to the business route, I would be happy to answer them!