Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Good osteopathic FP programs

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by apgar7, 02.18.04.

1. apgar7

apgar7 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Can anyone tell me which osteopathic FP residency programs are considered good? I understand a good program is often defined as the best fit for the individual, but I just want some opinions. For example I'm from California and many say Arrowhead Med is a strong FP program at a county hospital.

2. larryj

larryj Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    The best that are now "osteopathic" are the dual approved programs that are acutally ACGME programs that have received the AOA's mighty blessing.

I will say that I did not research any of the original DO programs, as most near me have closed. You should use the same criteria for evaluating any residency - look for the training that you want. If you want procedural training and OB, ask for numbers. If the residents that are there/have been there are not getting the experience that you want, you will likely have difficulty.

3. apgar7

apgar7 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Does anyone have a list of the dual approved programs?

4. nadeem

nadeem Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hi Apgar7,

.....I know of 2 in the chicago area that have specific slots for osteopathic medical students - these spots have AOA internships then 2 years of family practice residency:

1) MacNeal Hospital
    2) Christ Hospital

..Also, i think that Illinois Masonic Medical Center & Lutheran General Hospital may have approved AOA internships in their family residency programs but i'm not sure of that. You might want to call up the AOA or ACOFP and find out which allopathic institutions have AOA approved internships in their family practice residency programs.

..Good Luck,
    Ahmed

MS-4 CCOM

5. governator

governator Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    i think that arrowhead program you're talking about is a good FP program, there's no IM residents, no Peds, no ER.... so FP residents covers those areas.... and it is dually accredited right?
    surprisingly they don't fill this year

6. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    There are tons of dually accredited programs, from UNM in Albuquerque, TexTech in Lubbock (about to be), and many of the programs in the NE, especially Pa. They actively recruit DO's if you go to their websites (like check out the programs in Harrisburg, Wilkes Barre, and Allentown). They all get you dual accreditation. The problem is that ACOFP provides no working list of dual programs, and I called to ask for one and got nowhere. AOA probably has one though!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal