Good Programs for International Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svidrillion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found one or two old threads that addressed this topic, but they didn't provide very much insight.

Which schools are the best for providing experiences abroad?

I have heard that George Washington and University of Washington have good programs. Also, Cornell and Baylor seem to have some emphasis in this area.

Any other programs that people know about?

Members don't see this ad.

bump, i'm really interested in this too. Georgetown offers several volunteer programs and the option of using elective time to study abroad.

JessieLee, I'm glad someone else is interested in life outside the confines of the United States. Sometimes it feels so lonely...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty interested in this too, that is part of the reason University of Toronto is one of my top choices. They have a diverse city with lots of people from around the world, and the international electives program provides funding if you want to travel. You may want to consider applying to UofT, but tuition can be expensive for non-Canadians.

akinf said:
I'm pretty interested in this too, that is part of the reason University of Toronto is one of my top choices. They have a diverse city with lots of people from around the world, and the international electives program provides funding if you want to travel. You may want to consider applying to UofT, but tuition can be expensive for non-Canadians.

I am a Canadian and I am looking at my chances of admissions :scared: If you are foreign, getting into a Canadian medical school is almost impossible. It is a lot easier to get into an American university, both for Canadians and Americans. By chance you do get in, congratulations, you got into one of the best medical schools in the world, considering (I think) it is only UT and Mcgill that accepts foreigners.

This is what I am looking into as well. Ben Gurion in Israel has an awesome third-world medicine program it seems...check out the thread on Ben Gurion in the Africa/Middle East Forum in SDN...also check out their website.

I think I'll also apply to Tulane...they have a MD/MPH...with a department for Tropical Medicine!

Let me know what you guys find too!

Also--I think that Harvard and Johns Hopkins have an international focus...

when i spoke to the rep from university of michigan he said that there would be ample opportunity to go abroad. apparantly the school sets up programs in different areas and if you want to go to a place with no set program than the school will work with you to set one up there.

):( said:
I am a Canadian and I am looking at my chances of admissions :scared: If you are foreign, getting into a Canadian medical school is almost impossible. It is a lot easier to get into an American university, both for Canadians and Americans. By chance you do get in, congratulations, you got into one of the best medical schools in the world, considering (I think) it is only UT and Mcgill that accepts foreigners.

Luckily I am Canadian, but getting in at UofT would awesome.

it seems like marshall isn't a possibility for me...no wv tie.

i did go on two mission trips there in high school... :)

oh well, the program does look good

Svidrillion said:
I found one or two old threads that addressed this topic, but they didn't provide very much insight.

I have heard that George Washington and University of Washington have good programs. Also, Cornell and Baylor seem to have some emphasis in this area.

I've looked for info on experiences abroad, but have had difficulty. GWU is the only one I've seen advertise it so prominently. Hopefully some bright SDNer can point us in the right direction.

When I was shadowing a doc in CA, I commented that it seemed like all the doctors (all white) spoke spanish. He said that many people who plan on practicing in that part of the country would do part of their residency in Mexico to become fluent. I think that would be awesome.

Michigan State has a "Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved" specialization where you do two rotations in Belize.

I posted this exact thread a few months back, one school that you would not particularly expect to have an excellent international program is case western. their website was very informative and their program, as described, looks very interesting.

then of course harvard, penn, and the rest of the usual suspects round out the best programs I saw.

Svidrillion said:

I just attended an Interview at UTMB-Galveston. They have a pretty good international medicine program with summer opportunities for years 1 & 2, and also elective rotations abroad (3rd world and Europe/Asia).

I heard from a cornell rep that all schools will provide opportunities to go abroad for experience but not all will provide fundings for living expenses. She listed some schools but I forgot the detail.

You guys can check out this website:

http://www.globalhealth-ec.org/

it gives information for medical students on global health, traveling abroad, how to finance your trip, etc.

I know of some schools that have strong international components whether it is a global health center/institute or a MPH program.

UCSF HUGE!!!
Florida (the one that is in tampa, maybe South Florida?) - I actually went and talked with the coordinator of international studies. It is a very strong program.
Upitt
OSU
Case Western
U of Rochester
Boston University

I'm sure Harvard and Johns Hopkins also have excellent programs but I haven't done any research on them.

Most schools that have a MPH program with classes in global health/international health will provide opportunities to go abroad and train.

I know how you feel Teee. I feel like such a loser for saying stupid **** all the time. Such as now... :oops:

leahmaria said:
This is what I am looking into as well. Ben Gurion in Israel has an awesome third-world medicine program it seems...check out the thread on Ben Gurion in the Africa/Middle East Forum in SDN...also check out their website.

I think I'll also apply to Tulane...they have a MD/MPH...with a department for Tropical Medicine!

Let me know what you guys find too!

Also--I think that Harvard and Johns Hopkins have an international focus...

I just finished my MPH at Tulane and I'm now in my second round of med school apps. Tulane's School of Public Health is awesome and their Trop Med Diploma program is one of very few in the world approved by the American Society for Tropical Medical and Hygiene. Check out the department's website if you want more info: http://www.sph.tulane.edu/tropmed/overview.htm