Good PT school for neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonprept

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

so I'm getting closer to the end of my four year program and looking into PT schools. I'm looking for a physical therapy program with a strong neurological component, since I want to specialize in this area of PT. Not necessarily just spinal manipulations per se, but also working with car accident patients, stroke, acute spinal injuries and such.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. All programs will give you a strong background in everything. But some schools might focus more in certain areas. When I volunteered at a rehab hospital that specialized in SCI and TBI, I asked the PTs where they went to school. They came from several different backgrounds, so it seems that it shouldn't matter where you go. What matters more, I guess, is where you do your clinical affils? Current or former DPTs can feel free confirm or challenge my assumption... :confused:

When looking at schools, I mainly chose programs with at least one main faculty member was a NCS or offered special intensives in, say, vestibular or SCI. I only searched in the NYC/Philly area, so I can only respond based on the programs I looked at. If you're interested in this area, I'd say check out Columbia, UMDNJ, CUNY Hunter, Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson.

I'm sure others can chime in regarding schools in other geographical areas. Good luck!

Huh, cool yeah I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice and input.