Good scores, no research, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CALLR001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 from a top school with a strong urology program and a true pass/fail grading system. I scored a 272 on step 1, but really don't have much else to flaunt. I have zero interest in research and really don't plan on doing any. As urology is a somewhat new interest I have yet to make any urology connections. I guess my question is: will lack of research significantly decrease my chances of matching? Also, is there anything other than research that I can do to become more competitive? I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an MS3 from a top school with a strong urology program and a true pass/fail grading system. I scored a 272 on step 1, but really don't have much else to flaunt. I have zero interest in research and really don't plan on doing any. As urology is a somewhat new interest I have yet to make any urology connections. I guess my question is: will lack of research significantly decrease my chances of matching? Also, is there anything other than research that I can do to become more competitive? I appreciate the help.
Making connections is more important than doing research. However, doing research is a way to make connections.

I had a conversation with a PD of another specialty who talked about how they handled true P/F schools (the one he was talking about was Stanford which, I believe, has no AOA either) He basically said that because they get essentially no useful information from grades, they just rank based upon everything else. So step 1 becomes more important, LORs become more important, research becomes more important, etc.

If I were you, I would suck it up and get involved with some projects. Obviously, your step 1 score is outstanding. You just need to make sure the rest of your useful app is outstanding as well.

I would highly advise you to change your attitude about research for the next 7-8 years. I think most of us realize that research is a means to an end, and that showing an interest in doing research projects is desirable in a future urology resident. Academic physicians need to publish to maintain their standing in the academic facility. Research allows them to present at meetings and hopefully this will entice community urologists to refer them patients. Thus, academic urologists want their future residents to help them continue the research machine.

I would get invovled with an attending to begin a project. This will not only get you the research checkbox done, but more importantly it should foster a stronger relationship with you and that attending who will need to write you a LOR. I can't stress how important this is. I once saw a LOR from a well known urologist who stated that this student rotated on the urology service from June to July. And that was it! Ouch. The absence of what he said spoke volumes.

Finally, if you end up not doing any research as a med student and you do interview for urology residency, refrain from telling the interviewers that you have no desire in doing research. Even your ridiculously high step one score won't be able to save you from that comment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As said above, an interest, at least a feigned interest, in research is pretty important. To these academic attendings it is about what can you do for me and what can you do for my program. They would probably rather have someone with lower board scores who can churn out the research than someone like you. I'm not saying that is right, and I am not saying you won't match without research, but it can only help you. If you got a few solid publications or presentations you could match at the best programs in the country.

Thanks to those who responded. I can't say that I am surprised by the comments considering how competitive urology is. I guess I need to either suck it up or find a less academically oriented specialty. Thanks again.

I'm an MS3 from a top school with a strong urology program and a true pass/fail grading system. I scored a 272 on step 1.

Say no more. With that score you'll be offered many interviews, even if you have no substantial proof of interest in Urology. This is how the screening process works. I know others with +10 papers, AUA presentations, and strong Uro LORs that got eliminated during the first round of invites bec of average Step 1 scores. Is it right/fair? Me thinks not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Fair shmair. Just cause you don't like the criteria they are using doesn't mean it's unfair.

As I sit here typing out my 7th manuscript instead of going out and having fun, I get anxiety and find this thread on google. My 220s self now feels so much better knowing that I am doing this in vain. Great to know that my hard work on the wards means nothing compared to Step 1 too. I messed up Step 1 and will be seen as incompetent monkey who can churn out papers (because we can teach any monkey to write a paper) while the OP will be seen as the savior of the field because he scored high on a multiple choice exam.

As I sit here typing out my 7th manuscript instead of going out and having fun, I get anxiety and find this thread on google. My 220s self now feels so much better knowing that I am doing this in vain. Great to know that my hard work on the wards means nothing compared to Step 1 too. I messed up Step 1 and will be seen as incompetent monkey who can churn out papers (because we can teach any monkey to write a paper) while the OP will be seen as the savior of the field because he scored high on a multiple choice exam.

Don't **** all over someone else because you feel bad about your Step 1 score. You have no idea how hard OP worked for that 272. Maybe you would have been better served focusing on Step 1 studying rather than churning out more research? I have no idea if that would have helped you or not but I can't imagine someone who is splitting their time and mental energy between studying for Step and researching is going to do as well on the exam as someone who is solely focused on Step.

Reactions: 3 users

Urology has become extremely competitive with many applicants. There has to be some weed out system because there is no way to go through as many applications as most programs get in a timely fashion. You have a lower step I score, but you're bolstered with research and presumably good score on your rotations. This is where away rotations really help. This advice may be too late for you, but for those earlier in the process I will post it anyway. This is the chance to get your foot in a door on an away rotation. Sure, someone who doesn't know you will screen your application out during the interview process, but if you do an away and knock it out of the park there's a face and work ethic now associated with that application. That's how you can overcome a lower step I score. Now, if you have a low step I and poor clinical grades it's going to be tough, but if you have a single deficiency an away rotation can gloss it over.

The application process sucks, man. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I wish there was a way to change it, but right now it's the game that has to be played.

Urology has become extremely competitive with many applicants. There has to be some weed out system because there is no way to go through as many applications as most programs get in a timely fashion. You have a lower step I score, but you're bolstered with research and presumably good score on your rotations. This is where away rotations really help. This advice may be too late for you, but for those earlier in the process I will post it anyway. This is the chance to get your foot in a door on an away rotation. Sure, someone who doesn't know you will screen your application out during the interview process, but if you do an away and knock it out of the park there's a face and work ethic now associated with that application. That's how you can overcome a lower step I score. Now, if you have a low step I and poor clinical grades it's going to be tough, but if you have a single deficiency an away rotation can gloss it over.

The application process sucks, man. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I wish there was a way to change it, but right now it's the game that has to be played.

Yes, thank you. I have heard this from numerous residents. The only issue is that there is only time for 2-3 away rotations. I know you only have to have one department like you, but 2-3 out of 50-60 programs is not good odds presuming all the other programs trash applications with non stellar step scores. And then there is that issue of when to take step 2. Timing is not ideal.