Good Sources to Learn Ultrasound? Help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about giving a talk on U/S, and I am wondering what are good sources that talk about the basic theoretical concepts: frequency (ie., Higher frequencies for superficial structures), anisotropy, real time, etc.

Also, any "classical articles" you guys might recommend as good sources which compare sensitivity and specificity to other imaging modalities such as MRI for rotator cuff tears, shoulder, elbow and wrist pathology..

Thank you very much for your help...

Members don't see this ad.

pubmed search under Lev Nazarian from Jefferson and Jay Smith from Mayo for MSK U/S.

there is a good concise article under elselvier ultrasound clinics 2 (2007) 737-757
title "US guided muskuloskeletal procedures" authors david fessell, marinix holsbeek
Its a descent overview of all procedures currently available.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the best, most affordable texts out there is "Fundamentals of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound" by Jon Jacobsen. It covers basic physics, diagnostic imaging, and some intervention.

Check out essr.org for imaging protocols as well (free resource)

I nice review article came out in May:
Louis LJ. Radiol Clin North Am. 2008 May;46(3):515-33, vi. Review.
-Covers some basic intervention

the AAPM&R site has the Academy Mtg Pre-conference US course online for $75 for residents, I ended up buying it and it is great. Jay Smith and others give good talks and demos. I believe he has a 2 part review coming out of MSK US in the first couple issues of PM&R.