Good Southeast Path Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathlologist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Southeastern path residencies I'm curious about:
Duke
Emory
UAB
UNC
UVA
Vanderbilt

Looking for people who know of these programs (through interviewing, away rotations, residency itself) to comment on:
  1. if program is geared towards producing academic pathologists or community practice pathologists
  2. if program is highly structured or requires great deal of self-starterishness
  3. how good lecture series are
  4. if attendings have good relationships with residents/how invested attendings are in resident education
  5. how happy residents seem
Thanks for any information you share!

Members don't see this ad.

Dont know anything about those programs other than they have good reputations, but those are great questions to ask.

Making sure attendings are interested in teaching (unknown slide conferences in all subspecialties are particularly helpful), variety of specimens, good resident attending relationship, happy residents are VERY important when looking for a residency program. Make sure there are no abusive/malignant attendings in your program. Pathologists tend to be a laid back bunch but there are some who are just plain crazy or have personality issues. He or she can make your four years miserable.

Southeastern path residencies I'm curious about:
Duke
Emory
UAB
UNC
UVA
Vanderbilt

Looking for people who know of these programs (through interviewing, away rotations, residency itself) to comment on:
  1. if program is geared towards producing academic pathologists or community practice pathologists
  2. if program is highly structured or requires great deal of self-starterishness
  3. how good lecture series are
  4. if attendings have good relationships with residents/how invested attendings are in resident education
  5. how happy residents seem
Thanks for any information you share!
I have vague memories of my interviews at Duke, UNC, and Emory. I recall Duke and Emory being more research-oriented, but that's all I can remember. Your questions are wise ones though, and that's exactly the kind of stuff you should be asking the residents when you interview at those places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont know anything about those programs other than they have good reputations, but those are great questions to ask.

Making sure attendings are interested in teaching (unknown slide conferences in all subspecialties are particularly helpful), variety of specimens, good resident attending relationship, happy residents are VERY important when looking for a residency program. Make sure there are no abusive/malignant attendings in your program. Pathologists tend to be a laid back bunch but there are some who are just plain crazy or have personality issues. He or she can make your four years miserable.

Thank you for your response! Say I go to interview and talk to residents. How would you differentiate between an unhappy resident and an overworked resident (say one who's in a tough rotation with long hours)? Is it more of a direct question ("are you happy in this program") or more of an indirect observation (having limited good things to say, etc.)?

I have vague memories of my interviews at Duke, UNC, and Emory. I recall Duke and Emory being more research-oriented, but that's all I can remember. Your questions are wise ones though, and that's exactly the kind of stuff you should be asking the residents when you interview at those places.

I appreciate your response! I'm only an M2 but I'm fairly sure about wanting to pursue pathology and I'm trying to make sure I consider the right things.

Thank you for your response! Say I go to interview and talk to residents. How would you differentiate between an unhappy resident and an overworked resident (say one who's in a tough rotation with long hours)? Is it more of a direct question ("are you happy in this program") or more of an indirect observation (having limited good things to say, etc.)?
I'd say it's the latter. If you are decently observant, it shouldn't be hard to tell if the majority of the residents seem content to be there, or miserable. Don't let an outlier in either direction overly influence you either. Some people complain no matter what, others always paint a rosy picture. The majority will be in the middle though.

Reactions: 1 user