Compilation Good Websites and Apps for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an updated thread based on this thread from 2002. I've gone through and removed dead/outdated links and added the links that were suggested after the main list was no longer being updated.

Please comment with additional resources or apps and they will be added to the master list. [Note: I could use help with suggested apps for Apple/Android! Please supply a link if possible, as well as if it's free or costs money.] Please comment or let me know if there are any dead links.

Please do not link to pirated material or any sites that function to provide copyrighted material for free. No "free" Goljan/Pathoma/Kaplan/etc. Posting these links is a violation of SDN TOS.

Another resource compilation: MedicalStudent.com

**Anatomy**
UMich Anatomy
SUNY Downstate Anatomy
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson
Get Body Smart- A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.
Human Anatomy - Another anatomy resource
Handwritten Tutorials

**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
Histology Learning System
JayDoc Histo Web
Blue Histology --- lecture notes and quizzes
Histology Lab Videos

**Physiology, EKG**
Heart Physiology from U. of Utah
EKG Review
ECG library- Collection of Recordings
ECG Stimulator- Quickly learn the most common ECG findings
ECG Wave Maven- Case Studies from Harvard
Handwritten Tutorials

**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations

**Radiology**
Learning Radiology
radiologyeducation.com- digital library of radiology education resources
Introduction to Radiology - From UVirginia
Radiology cases in peds EM - From UHawaii

**Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience**
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas
Essential Neurologic Exam
Handwritten Tutorials

**Microbiology and Immunology**
Mystery Zone
Medical Microbiology - practice exams
Human parasitology tutorial
Handwritten Tutorials

**Pharm**
Pharmacology Quizzes
Pharm Wiki
Handwritten Tutorials

**Physical Examination/Clinicals**
OnlineMedEd - Invaluable free videos for clinical shelf exams, Step 2, intern year
NBME Subject Exam FREE Practice Questions
Loyola University Medical Education network - Reviews the steps of the Physical exam
University of Washington's Advanced Physical Diagnosis - Choose an organ system and then click on "demonstration"
The RALE Repository of Lung Sounds
Blaufuss Mulitmedia Heart Sounds Tutorial
Auscultation Assistant
OR Live Watch Live Surgeries
UCSD Clinical Medicine Guide

**Pathology**
WebPath tutorials and and online path exams.
Heme/Onc Morpholgies
DermIS.net- Dermatology website; great pics, search by description, name or body location
Pathology Outlines

**Residency**
Residency Web from Washington University
Reviews of Residency Programs
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Urology Match - Resources for students interested in Urology
Residency Interview Recommendations (University of Colorado Medical School produced videos) - Interviewing - YouTube

**Online Medical Tools**
MD Calc - Online calculators
Diagnosis Pro- Differential Diagnosis Generator
Wrong Diagnosis - Differential Diagnosis Generator

**Phone/Tablet Apps**
Medscape - clinical reference
Micromedex - quick drug reference
ePocrates- Drug guide
Radiology 2.0 - One Night in the ED - Great radiology resource
Calculate (Medical Calculator) by QxMed
Essential Anatomy 5 by 3D4Medical (costs $15.99 on iTunes)

**Misc**
MIT's OpenCourseWare - MIT puts their lecture materials online
MedTerms Medical Dictionary
Inner Life of a Cell (8 minutes w/narration and no music)
KMLE Medical Dictionary
Cram- Lots of user-submitted flashcards.
Wellness Rounds - Blog promoting wellness in medical careers
Medymology - definitions, etymology, and useful information about medical terms
Strong Medicine - a large collection of videos covering ECGs, chest X-rays, cardiac auscultation, antibiotics, ABGs, IV fluids, and a whole lot more
WhiteCoated - inspiration and advice from med students and residents
The Doc | Doctors Global Community - blog with articles for doctors
Student Loan Repayment Options for BIPOC Physicians - Information on loan repayment specifically focused on students underrepresented in medicine

**Humor**
NCBI ROFL - a collection of studies you can't believe were actually published
What Should We Call Med School Tumblr
Med Comic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 69 users
I have been using this amazing medical app, Figure 1, which is free and provides thousands of real-world medical cases. It’s a great resource for studying for exams and discussing classic/rare medical cases with experienced healthcare professionals.

http://download.figure1.com/winter2016?s=NorthSea

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding Preceptor Buddy (www.preceptorbuddy.com). Great free site for med students and allied health professions to rate their preceptors!

Reactions: 1 user
I really like the app Osmosis. It works with me, is customizable for how I study, and allows me to import class documents and automatically creates relevant flashcards.

Reactions: 3 users
A great clinical microbiology app is Micropedia. It provides fairly comprehensive review of just about every infectious pathogen (including Zika, so hawt right now) and strives for the clinically practical. Plus pretty user friendly. Plus it's got a quiz. And the best part is it's free. Only currently updating version is the iOS version unfortunately.

https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/micropedia-medical-microbiology/id1022647970?mt=8

Reactions: 1 users
Great resource for medical students here with topic guides written by medical students: Mediwikis.com

Last edited:
Sketchy medical for all of the things.

Reactions: 2 users
For physical examination I am a big fan of Geeky Medics (http://geekymedics.com/) it is a british site but still very informative and easy to digest.

For anyone of a family medicine rotation or for primary care I recommend Family Practice Notebook (http://www.fpnotebook.com/), this is a concise wealth of information.

For anyone on an ortho/sports medicine rotation I recommend OrthoBullets (http://www.orthobullets.com/), again it is a concise wealth of information.

These are all free sites. Enjoy.

Also for those about to start the residency interview process a great book is, "200 Tips to a Successful Match" Covers everything from when to schedule electives, how to get the right letters of recommendation, things to do pre-interview, during interview and post-interview, etc. $42 on Amazon (Amazon product) and well worth it.

A few more awesome websites:

Meducation.net - free, has practice questions, tons of study guides, plus other resources. Very tastefully designed and you could literally spend all day on it
SynaptecQbank.com - adaptive question bank for more efficient learning. I have gotten to beta test it, and so far have been extremely impressed with their reports and interface
Medbullets.com: I love the layout of this website because it's free, is organized by step exams and their subsection components. A ton of free study guides and resources, all of which are salient.

One of the best website for medical students to refer is healthline.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything for Psych?

Psych on Demand provides access to 20 commonly used psychiatric forms to monitor and diagnose psychiatric conditions, and was developed by William Lemley, MD, and psychiatry resident at Eastern Virginia Medical School.

Users can email copies of psychiatric forms to their patients, and include the copies in electronic health records (EHRs). Although it's handy to be able to email the forms, Luo worries about a lack of confidentiality. Cost: $0.99

Optimism helps patients log their mood, sleep, exercise, and diet — charting the information over time and displaying it in graphic format.

“One caveat is that the rating scales from 0 to 10 are rudimentary,” Luo cautioned. “For example, a 10 on anxiety is defined as ‘overwhelming anxiety that feels like you are going to die.'”

Again he likes the capability to email results, but is concerned about confidentiality. Cost: Free

DSM-5 provides digital access to the official criteria for psychiatric diagnoses published in hardbound by the American Psychiatric Association.

“It looks like there are only criteria, not the full text of the DSM-5,” Luo said. “It appears it is useless without WiFi access.” Cost: $69.00

Cloud 9, currently in testing and not yet available, proposes to make the process of finding a therapist easy using the video capabilities on smartphones and tablets to schedule virtual visits with therapists.

The main advantage is that it allows patients to schedule appointments that synch with the therapist's schedule.

“I am a bit skeptical of its claim to match a therapist to a patient based on certain parameters,” Luo said. “To me, it seems like online dating, and you never find the perfect match just based on criteria.” Cost: Free

Psychiatry-Neurology Pro enables doctors to share clinical history, patient information, and images of the brain with their patients.

This app is better for tablets than smartphones. Clinicians may find it a handy resource to store patient findings. However, Luo is concerned that the app has not been updated in more than a year. Cost: Free

anatomyguy.com for anatomy dissection prep is fantastic. Highly recommend watching those dissection videos so you're prepared for each lab day. Congrats to any incoming med students.

Hello

Argentine medical student here. Because of I did not go to medical school in the US, I have done a lot of research into what resources to use to prepare for the USMLE.

Here are some resources that I have come to know through friends and other circumstances:
Sketchymedical
picmonic
students in training
U world
handwritten tutorials
LECTURIO (a personal favorite)
kenhub
youtube--- has crazy amounts of information.
Dr najeeb
osmosis
kaplan
clinical sense
These are for the USMLE.

For the ones that are considering the MIR in Spain, or just want to practice clinical cases in Spanish, MIR prep for Iphone is good.

Agree, sometimes it's difficult to find credible sources for medical students.

Last edited:
Figure 1 is a free app, with new real-world cases everyday, from doctors all over the world! It's amazing, every student should get this! Install, sign up and start your rounds guys!

Download here for iOS & android

Last edited:
Hello,

Its called "Spellex" and I use it before submiting any important document. I ve been using it like 2 years from now and it is amazing how much time I save.

Hey guys, check out this new site www.medzcool.com
It's basically a free question bank with articles tailored for students/residents and makes studying more interactive with personalized statistics on your answered questions and networks with other users.
We just launched our beta version so we are offering a sweet deal for new users. Click here for more info:
www.medzcool.com/about

not sure if you have to pay for this or not, but MD Coder :) (and no, I'm not paid by them)

Speaking of Medical Ethics, be sure to Google:

I: Senator Charles Grassley's exposure of a "not-for-profit" hospital in Missouri which he found suing indigent patients while it enjoyed tax-exemption.

Contact Dr. Karen Summar on his Washington staff if you like what the senator is doing for patients. Be sure to check out what is happening in your own state.

II. Google "Charity Profiting Millions" to see whether you agree with the exposure of another not-for-profit hospital (Sentara in Norfolk, Virginia) reported by Michael Mather (~6 May 2010) allegedly to have sued indigent patients, including one Alicia Epps earning ~$16/hour, while the nonprofit hospital allegedly was paying an administrator several million dollars yearly.

III. Remember to admit patients to at least 2 unrelated hospitals so that you are always free to speak on behalf of patients, and be sure that doctors at both hospitals are protected by due process of law in medical peer-review, as advocated by Verner Waite M.D., F.A.C.S. Remember, once you have been admitted to 2 medical schools, you have a choice!

H.E.Butler III M.D., F.A.C.S.
HButler at post.Harvard.edu
Commander, U.S.N.R., Fleet Reserve

Diagnosaurus is a differential diagnosis generator. You can search DDx by system, disease, or symptom.

You can download it and preview from the iOS App Store for free, but the full app costs $4.99. It seems pretty comprehensive, and I’ve heard a lot of residents in my area raving about it.

We've been working on a website - www.pathoradiology.com. We've put together just under 100 questions so far of things related to general medicine with a focus primarily on radiology and pathology. I have added things that I wish I knew earlier to help clarify topics. Not everything is pathology or radiology related. We are currently working on curating a larger collection of pathology slide sets as well as radiographs.

Two Android apps I've used to study for step 2&3 are Clinical sense and Prognosis. Great clinical cases put into a video game-like format but still with great explanations. Perfect for if you need to study but don't want to study

Hi there- I heard good things about USMLExcel for Step 1 dedicated prep but when I tried to download it, the app says it is not updated enough to work on iOS 11 devices. I tried emailing the contact person on their website without any success. Any recommendations for a similar app that helps create a Step 1 study plan?

Sketchy micro, which now includes path and pharm. This website was gold for both med school tests and Step 1 and even step 2.

For third year: EMRA antibiotics, pressordex for quick references for treatment.

how do I save the forum?

Anki and firecracker for the win!

Hey, I find this are the first surgical tutoral videos that are appealing.
they call themself sutureTV on youtube.

Human Dx (on web and also available on an iOS or Android app) is a cool free site that has interactive case simulations that I found really helpful for working on broadening my differentials in 3rd year. Cases only take a few minutes to do - great for down time on wards etc. Right now they're having a BMJ case challenge which has been fun!

Just want to say, I am very thankful for this thread. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your recommendations.

This is an updated thread based on this thread from 2002. I've gone through and removed dead/outdated links and added the links that were suggested after the main list was no longer being updated.

Please comment with additional resources or apps and they will be added to the master list. [Note: I could use help with suggested apps for Apple/Android! Please supply a link if possible, as well as if it's free or costs money.] Please comment or let me know if there are any dead links.

Please do not link to pirated material or any sites that function to provide copyrighted material for free. No "free" Goljan/Pathoma/Kaplan/etc. Posting these links is a violation of SDN TOS.

Another resource compilation: MedicalStudent.com

**Anatomy**
UMich Anatomy
SUNY Downstate Anatomy
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson
Get Body Smart- A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.
Human Anatomy - Another anatomy resource
Handwritten Tutorials

**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
Histology Learning System
JayDoc Histo Web
Blue Histology --- lecture notes and quizzes
Histology Lab Videos

**Physiology, EKG**
Heart Physiology from U. of Utah
EKG Review
ECG library- Collection of Recordings
ECG Stimulator- Quickly learn the most common ECG findings
ECG Wave Maven- Case Studies from Harvard
Handwritten Tutorials

**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations

**Radiology**
Learning Radiology
radiologyeducation.com- digital library of radiology education resources
Introduction to Radiology - From UVirginia
Radiology cases in peds EM - From UHawaii

**Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience**
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas
Essential Neurologic Exam
Handwritten Tutorials

**Microbiology and Immunology**
Mystery Zone
Medical Microbiology - practice exams
Human parasitology tutorial
Handwritten Tutorials

**Pharm**
Pharmacology Quizzes
Pharm Wiki
Handwritten Tutorials

**Physical Examination/Clinicals**
OnlineMedEd - Invaluable free videos for clinical shelf exams, Step 2, intern year
NBME Subject Exam FREE Practice Questions
Loyola University Medical Education network - Reviews the steps of the Physical exam
University of Washington's Advanced Physical Diagnosis - Choose an organ system and then click on "demonstration"
The RALE Repository of Lung Sounds
Blaufuss Mulitmedia Heart Sounds Tutorial
Auscultation Assistant
OR Live Watch Live Surgeries
UCSD Clinical Medicine Guide

**Pathology**
WebPath tutorials and and online path exams.
Heme/Onc Morpholgies
DermIS.net- Dermatology website; great pics, search by description, name or body location
Pathology Outlines

**Residency**
Residency Web from Washington University
Reviews of Residency Programs
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Urology Match - Resources for students interested in Urology

**Online Medical Tools**
MD Calc - Online calculators
Diagnosis Pro- Differential Diagnosis Generator
Wrong Diagnosis - Differential Diagnosis Generator

**Phone/Tablet Apps**
Medscape - clinical reference
Micromedex - quick drug reference
ePocrates- Drug guide
Radiology 2.0 - One Night in the ED - Great radiology resource
Calculate (Medical Calculator) by QxMed
Essential Anatomy 5 by 3D4Medical (costs $15.99 on iTunes)

**Misc**
MIT's OpenCourseWare - MIT puts their lecture materials online
MedTerms Medical Dictionary
Inner Life of a Cell (8 minutes w/narration and no music)
KMLE Medical Dictionary
Cram- Lots of user-submitted flashcards.
Wellness Rounds - Blog promoting wellness in medical careers
Medymology - definitions, etymology, and useful information about medical terms
Strong Medicine - a large collection of videos covering ECGs, chest X-rays, cardiac auscultation, antibiotics, ABGs, IV fluids, and a whole lot more
WhiteCoated - inspiration and advice from med students and residents
The Doc | Doctors Global Community - blog with articles for doctors

**Humor**
NCBI ROFL - a collection of studies you can't believe were actually published
What Should We Call Med School Tumblr
Med Comic
JOMI offers free accounts for students/residents. It is an online journal of detailed surgeries.
Journal of Medical Insight

just google teachyourselfpathology

I've recently started a website called that and intend to fill it up with powerpoint on every topic imaginable. I have started with histology :)

Hello friends. Today, I introduce a website that offers free multiple choice questions. There are many clinical cases. This is a great place for you to study and self-test your knowledge. You can visit here: MedQuizzes - medquizzes[.]net