Goro’s guide to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump. :punch:

People need to read this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do people typically do a large number of mock interviews, or is that not all that common?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did one and the mock interviewer was amazingly unhelpful. It varies, but usually doing a mock with someone who has a degree in a field completely unrelated to medicine, who never applied to med school, wont provide much insight. It is good practice for talking and being sociable though, so if youre a robot it'd probably help you learn some interview skills

I did one and the mock interviewer was amazingly unhelpful. It varies, but usually doing a mock with someone who has a degree in a field completely unrelated to medicine, who never applied to med school, wont provide much insight. It is good practice for talking and being sociable though, so if youre a robot it'd probably help you learn some interview skills
I did one specifically who did "mock med interviews," and I thought most of the insight they gave was common sense. If you're the incredibly nervous type though, it might be helpful.

I did one. I don't see the point in doing another, personally.
completely unhelpful for me...they asked a list of super generic question, wrote down what I said, never made eye contact lol. Feedback was pretty generic as well. I guess do it if it makes you feel more prepared on interview day

Reactions: 1 user
Cool, thanks for the feedback. I've got one scheduled, depending on how helpful that is maybe I'll do another. I'm a decent interviewer, but I feel the most confident when I know I've practiced a lot. So we'll see.

How many questions are you guys preparing for? Just the generics or more in-depth?

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I've got one scheduled, depending on how helpful that is maybe I'll do another. I'm a decent interviewer, but I feel the most confident when I know I've practiced a lot. So we'll see.

How many questions are you guys preparing for? Just the generics or more in-depth?
I'm preparing for 2 questions in detail. My worst fear is sounding scripted.

I'm preparing for 2 questions in detail. My worst fear is sounding scripted.
I have the same question as with the standard questions I have an outline of points I want to hit. It isn't memorized but does follow the outline pretty close. Thoughts?

You should be ready with an answer for "Why Medicine, etc?" as if you were asked "where did you go to high school?" and answer with the same manner and tone.

If your gramma asked you "Why Medicine?" or "Why U Pitt?", would you sound rehearsed in the answer?????

I have the same question as with the standard questions I have an outline of points I want to hit. It isn't memorized but does follow the outline pretty close. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
What's the point of having medical students as interviewers (especially when it's separate from an adcom)? Does their opinion really matter? Or rather, do they have any leverage in the final decision?

What's the point of having medical students as interviewers (especially when it's separate from an adcom)? Does their opinion really matter? Or rather, do they have any leverage in the final decision?

I doubt it would be a part of the process if their input wasn't taken into consideration. They are, after all, helping build a class that they would want to be proud to associate themselves with.

I've also heard that some of the senior M4 students who have been part of the admissions process for a number of years will actually get a vote when it comes to deciding on students.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say that they indeed have leverage. Student interviewers were in your shoes once; they know what nervousness looks like. Moreover, they know what isn't nervousness but rather just poor behavior. Student interviewers, I think, want to know:

1. Would you treat them as formally as you do adult interviewers? (In the same sense as would you treat a younger/same age patient the way you would treat an elderly one? Or can you only be respectful toward people older than you?)
2. Are you approachable and personable? Can they see you as a peer, someone they can study with? Someone they can spend weekend nights with, yet still work in a cadaver lab on Monday morning?

You're applying to become a med student, not a machine*** (EDITED). I think the student interviewers are a part of the process to help gauge this aspect. (That said, this is only the vibe I received from my first interview. If I'm wrong, please correct me?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would say that they indeed have leverage. Student interviewers were in your shoes once; they know what nervousness looks like. Moreover, they know what isn't nervousness but rather just poor behavior. Student interviewers, I think, want to know:

1. Would you treat them as formally as you do adult interviewers? (In the same sense as would you treat a younger/same age patient the way you would treat an elderly one? Or can you only be respectful toward people older than you?)
2. Are you approachable and personable? Can they see you as a peer, someone they can study with? Someone they can spend weekend nights with, yet still work in a cadaver lab on Monday morning?

You're applying to become a med student, not a doctor. I think the student interviewers are a part of the process to help gauge this aspect. (That said, this is only the vibe I received from my first interview. If I'm wrong, please correct me?)
I didn't recognize you immediately with your new avatar :cool: congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
Med students are valuable because they see interviewees as peers, or rather, whether they can see them as peers.

At my school the input from the medical student interviewer is taken as seriously as any DO, MD or PhD interviewer.

You're the interviewer so you're the boss; I honestly believe all of your advice. The plan B I need help on though.

Let us say my plan B would be to try again, can I say that? And then if the interviewer asks what if you don't get in over and over, answer differently? If my plan B is a different career after one failed cycle, wouldn't I be conveying a lack of conviction to some interviewers? I'd honestly retake the MCAT, get more schooling, work in healthcare and try again until I finally get in. I would never deviate from that path. Even if it meant being an elderly med student.

I just hate the idea I have to pretend I wouldn't re-apply to med school to get into med school. I hate lying.

You're the interviewer so you're the boss; I honestly believe all of your advice. The plan B I need help on though.

Let us say my plan B would be to try again, can I say that? And then if the interviewer asks what if you don't get in over and over, answer differently? If my plan B is a different career, wouldn't I be conveying a lack of conviction to some interviewers? I'd honestly retake the MCAT, get schooling, work in healthcare until I finally get in. I would never deviate from that path.

I just hate the idea I have to pretend I wouldn't re-apply to med school to get into med school. I hate lying.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Einstein

You would not be showing conviction. You would be showing insanity. A big part of working in healthcare is knowing when to quit.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Einstein

You would not be showing conviction. You would be showing insanity. A big part of working in healthcare is knowing when to quit.
Is scoring higher in standardized testing, accumulating more healthcare experience and gaining world experience qualified as "doing the same thing"?

Is scoring higher in standardized testing, accumulating healthcare experience and world experience qualified as "doing the same thing"?
If you've done that for several years in a row with no success, yes.

If you've done that for several years in a row with no success, yes.

Imagine if Edison gave up after one light bulb attempt and became a plumber. You should try different methods with the same goal in mind if you are serious about the goal. My honest plan B would probably involve foreign med school training.

Take this conversation in mind. I learned I have to lie about plan B in order to succeed. As medicine is my only goal, I guess I'm willing to change my honest nature in order to fulfill that which I find more important, helping people as doctor. It sort of sucks that the system is set up that way though.

Let us say my plan B would be to try again, can I say that? And then if the interviewer asks what if you don't get in over and over, answer differently? If my plan B is a different career after one failed cycle, wouldn't I be conveying a lack of conviction to some interviewers? I'd honestly retake the MCAT, get more schooling, work in healthcare and try again until I finally get in. I would never deviate from that path. Even if it meant being an elderly med student.

I honestly like your approach. I think showing persistence is a valuable thing. You can say something like you would try to address some of your weaknesses and try the process again. Where have you heard the Plan B has to be giving up trying to become a physician?

Imagine if Edison gave up after one light bulb attempt and became a plumber. You should try different methods with the same goal in mind if you are serious about the goal.

Take this conversation in mind. I learned I have to lie about plan B in order to succeed. As medicine is my only goal, I guess I'm willing to change my honest nature in order to fulfill that which I find more important, helping people as doctor. It sort of sucks that the system is set up that way though.
Bad example. You're comparing putting all your eggs in one basket (gearing everything you do towards getting into medical school for an indefinite period of time) with working on one project out of many. It's rather different to dedicate everything you do towards a goal that is probably unattainable (assuming you have no success getting in after several cycles) than to dedicate some of your time to one project that might be unattainable.

I could describe a theoretical career I'd pursue and leave out the part that I'd keep reapplying on the side.

But my question still stands, should I answer that way when first pressed?

Last edited:
Any tips on getting up to date in the latest in healthcare policy?
Can anyone recommend an overview of the ACA, for instance?

I'd actually recommend this book by one of the architects of the ACA. Its in cartoon form but its a good and comprehensive book

Amazon product

514EUyR5l8L._SX349_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon product

I honestly like your approach. I think showing persistence is a valuable thing. You can say something like you would try to address some of your weaknesses and try the process again. Where have you heard the Plan B has to be giving up trying to become a physician?
Exactly. If this cycle doesn't pan out, I have a discrete plan for improving before my next cycle, and will add DO applications. If that doesn't work, I have another plan. I don't have a Plan D because at that point it will be time to start considering things other than medicine, and I cannot be certain what paths I will encounter in the interim.

Recently bought a book called America's Bitter Pill (I think it was a bestseller and was on the Today Show?). I knew little about the healthcare system itself and only the basics behind the ACA before reading it. It's 460 pages of history lessons regarding American healthcare, where it is now/how it got here, where we are going. Amazing read if you have the time.

9780812986686.jpeg

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of me recommend a book by Steven Brill. He is a brilliant journalist, but a journalist nonetheless. Bitter Pill has too much "fun" backstory on the main actors who shaped and helped pass the ACA but way too little on the actual meat of learning. Understanding the politics behind the ACA is paramount to understanding the law and why it turned out the way it did, but it's counterproductive to get that deep into the details if your focus is actually learning policy. As a general rule, NYT Bestsellers are never the most informative because the general public wants fun, "a good read," over information.

Health policy is also not just about the ACA. Bodenheimer's health policy primer is a standard used in many MPH curricula. It gives you a nice broad overview of all the moving parts, no bull****. Amazon product

If you want something more academic then go with Paul Starr's Remedy and Reaction. That's a true hardcore 400-page history book on American health care. http://yalepress.yale.edu/book.asp?isbn=9780300171099

But if you want an exciting story with extraneous information, read Brill. You'll learn, but not as much.

Very common thought process in immature applicants. I reject people outright who think this way.

We expect people to be able to reason things through and have backup plans. No surgeon approaches a surgery without a backup plan.

We expect someone to not be deterred by a single or even a double set of bad app cycles, but after, say five of them, what would you conclude? We want people who are realistic and who don't engage in magic thinking, because even with attempts to approve their apps, some people just aren't meant to go to med school.

This is a very valid and well thought out, reasoned and mature answer.

Now, if I hear anyone quote it word for word when I interview over the next cycle, I'll reject you!!

Exactly. If this cycle doesn't pan out, I have a discrete plan for improving before my next cycle, and will add DO applications. If that doesn't work, I have another plan. I don't have a Plan D because at that point it will be time to start considering things other than medicine, and I cannot be certain what paths I will encounter in the interim.

Reactions: 4 users
Great guide, thanks!

Quick question about medical student hosts the night before interviews - is it considered rude to request it if you live close enough to the school to commute there in the morning from your own house? I would be interested in staying with a host more so for the experience (I've heard it's very beneficial.) rather than the travel accommodations. I know spots are probably limited, so I don't want them to think it was disrespectful to take the place of someone who was coming from far away.

Great guide, thanks!

Quick question about medical student hosts the night before interviews - is it considered rude to request it if you live close enough to the school to commute there in the morning from your own house? I would be interested in staying with a host more so for the experience (I've heard it's very beneficial.) rather than the travel accommodations. I know spots are probably limited, so I don't want them to think it was disrespectful to take the place of someone who was coming from far away.
I mean....that's what I'm doing this weekend. :oops: I told my host explicitly that I wanted to learn more about the school from a student perspective, and that if there is a shortage of host, they can replace me with someone else. It worked out okay. :)

A few years ago when I interviewed for a postbacc, an interviewer put both of his feet on the desk while interviewing me.. Should I complain to someone if similar thing happens in the future?

A few years ago when I interviewed for a postbacc, an interviewer put both of his feet on the desk while interviewing me.. Should I complain to someone if similar thing happens in the future?
Alright about time we derailed this thread!

ALL ABOARD!!

Very common thought process in immature applicants. I reject people outright who think this way.

We expect people to be able to reason things through and have backup plans. No surgeon approaches a surgery without a backup plan.
perhaps this has been answered before, but is it appropriate to plan for a career in research/grad school if med school doesn't pan out?
I feel like that answer could also be picked apart as a lack of interest or devotion to the medical field. I just can't for the life of me get interested in an allied health profession

stop it guys, don't screw up Goro's thread, it's a good one

Reactions: 7 users
perhaps this has been answered before, but is it appropriate to plan for a career in research/grad school if med school doesn't pan out?
I feel like that answer could also be picked apart as a lack of interest or devotion to the medical field. I just can't for the life of me get interested in an allied health profession
Stop obsessing about "showing a commitment to medicine". That's not what this type of question is about. Questions like this are about 1. Seeing if you have the ability to form a backup plan in case things don't work out exactly the way you would like all the time and 2. To learn a little bit about who you are as a person. What are your passions? What else makes you tick? Quit trying to make everything a trick question!

Stop obsessing about "showing a commitment to medicine". That's not what this type of question is about. Questions like this are about 1. Seeing if you have the ability to form a backup plan in case things don't work out exactly the way you would like all the time and 2. To learn a little bit about who you are as a person. What are your passions? What else makes you tick? Quit trying to make everything a trick question!
Eh, some questions are tricky. There are things that aren't always intuitive about the whole thing. I'd probably be fine giving the answer I suggested, just trying to get some more insight into the thought process of the adcom behind it

hold up, misread your post
You can have backup plans that involve reevaluating your application and applying again...but differently than you did before. I have 2yrs worth of discrete backup plans before I ever get to the "what would I do if medicine were not an option" phase.

You can have backup plans that involve reevaluating your application and applying again...but differently than you did before. I have 2yrs worth of discrete backup plans before I ever get to the "what would I do if medicine were not an option" phase.
Yeah, I didn't disagree with that..it just seems like kind of a loaded question and I'm trying to figure out the thought process behind it. I almost feel like there's no good answer to it, ya know?

Yeah, I didn't disagree with that..it just seems like kind of a loaded question and I'm trying to figure out the thought process behind it. I almost feel like there's no good answer to it, ya know?
I don't think there's a correct answer, but otherwise I feel the bar is honestly pretty low for this one...just show that you've thought about the future, recognized that not everything is guaranteed to work out the way you'd like, and have ideas of what your next steps would be if things went south.

To me, this question is a bit of a gimme because this is something you absolutely should already have been parsing through anyway in case it actually happened. I didn't come up with an answer to a potential interview question for this...I just actually have 2 backup plans and an idea of how long I'll pursue med school if neither of those work. This cycle won't be over until the next one starts, practically. I can't wait until next June to start thinking about this.

You should plan for something in whatever field appeals to you.

If you think picking a science career as Plan B is something we want to hear, you're wrong. You could be a forest ranger or interior decorator, but just having a Plan B tells us that you've put some forethought into your life plans, and that's good.

Why should you?

I was given conflicting advice by another adcom who I did a mock interview with last week. He is a psychiatrist, and asked me about my MCAT discrepancy (26 first in 2013 and 34 in 2014). I answered truthfully that I have a learning disability, and did the first test without any accommodations, but the second test I had an accommodation, however, I have a 3.95 GPA, and feel confident I can do the work, just struggle a bit with timed standardized tests, but qualify for an accommodation. He said I should bring up this fact much earlier, as he has seen a lot of candidates with testing accommodations and it is not a negative. I've been counseled by others that under ADA, I am under no obligation to disclose this, and adcoms should not factor a disability into the decision. I'm leaning toward bringing it up, but I've only had one MD put this in a positive light. What say you @Goro??