Goro’s guide to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ADA & Department of Justice have issued a revised statement. Quotes seen below are from ADA.gov September 8, 2015.
If you are denied test accommodations by MCAT for any disability (i.e. ADHD, dyslexia, blind, diabetic, etc.), make a complaint to:

The Department of Justice: http://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm

Know the laws per ADA. Reposted 9/8/2015 by ADA as a notice to all testing entities must comply: http://www.ada.gov/regs2014/testing_accommodations.html

"Standardized examinations and other high-stakes tests are gateways to educational and employment opportunities. Whether seeking admission to a high school, college, or graduate program, or attempting to obtain a professional license or certification for a trade, it is difficult to achieve such goals without sitting for some kind of standardized exam or high-stakes test. While many testing entities have made efforts to ensure equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities, the Department continues to receive questions and complaints relating to excessive and burdensome documentation demands, failures to provide needed testing accommodations, and failures to respond to requests for testing accommodations in a timely manner."

"Exams administered by any private, state, or local government entity related to applications, licensing, certification, or credentialing for secondary or postsecondary education, professional, or trade purposes are covered by the ADA and testing accommodations, pursuant to the ADA, must be provided.1
Examples of covered exams include:
  • High school equivalency exams (such as the GED);
  • High school entrance exams (such as the SSAT or ISEE);
  • College entrance exams (such as the SAT or ACT);
  • Exams for admission to professional schools (such as the LSAT or MCAT);
  • Admissions exams for graduate schools (such as the GRE or GMAT); and
  • Licensing exams for trade purposes (such as cosmetology) or professional purposes (such as bar exams or medical licensing exams, including clinical assessments)."

"...a testing entity should generally limit its request for documentation to those one or two items and should generally evaluate the testing accommodation request based on those limited documents without requiring further documentation.
  • Past Testing Accommodations. Proof of past testing accommodations in similar test settings is generally sufficient to support a request for the same testing accommodations for a current standardized exam or other high-stakes test.
    • Past Testing Accommodations on Similar Standardized Exams or High-Stakes Tests. If a candidate requests the same testing accommodations he or she previously received on a similar standardized exam or high-stakes test, provides proof of having received the previous testing accommodations, and certifies his or her current need for the testing accommodations due to disability, then a testing entity should generally grant the same testing accommodations for the current standardized exam or high-stakes test without requesting further documentation from the candidate. So, for example, a person with a disability who receives a testing accommodation to sit for the SAT should generally get the same testing accommodation to take the GRE, LSAC, or MCAT. "

Further information:
Model Testing Accommodation Practices Resulting From Recent Litigation: http://www.ada.gov/lsac_best_practices_report.docx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division. Following currently applies to Law School Admissions Test, but likely has application to other admission tests (MCAT, GRE, etc.) and may have implications for other professional tests (Bar exams, Step exams, etc.)

Law School Admission Council to Implement Sweeping Changes to Testing Accommodation Procedures For Test-Takers with Disabilities

08/31/2015

On August 7, 2015, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California upheld significant changes to LSAC's testing accommodation policies and practices. The court's decision upheld almost all the changes to LSAC's testing accommodation procedures recommended in a report by a panel of experts created pursuant to a 2014 consent decree that resolved allegations under the Americans with Disabilities Act in Dept. of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH) v. Law School Admission Council, Inc. (LSAC), Case No. 12-1830--EMC (N. D. Cal). The District Court invalidated a limited portion of the recommendations (generally regarding timing for evaluating testing accommodation requests and how recent documentation in support of a request for testing accommodations based on mental or cognitive impairment must be) but upheld the bulk of the recommendations as written, including those that: categorize the type of documentation that will be sufficient for various types of testing accommodations requests, establish criteria for evaluating requests, require an automatic review by outside professionals before any request may be denied, and create an appeals process for those candidates whose testing accommodation requests are ultimately denied. LSAC will implement the upheld recommendations starting immediately for testing accommodation requests related to the December 2015 LSAT administration and later administrations.

For more information about the Court's decision in DFEH v. LSAC or the ADA, please visit our ADA website at http://www.ada.gov/ or you may also call the Justice Department's toll-free ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 or 800-514-0383 (TDD).
Good info, but...not pertinent to the question at hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As many med students realize what specialty they want to do later and most change their preference down the road, what is the goal of interviewers asking what specialty you want during med school interview? What are they looking for?

As many med students realize what specialty they want to do later and most change their preference down the road, what is the goal of interviewers asking what specialty you want during med school interview? What are they looking for?
The way I go about it is I just describe what I'm looking for in a specialty, and I was told in a mock interview that it was a great answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An excellent question! We ask this to see if you've done any long term thinking, to see what you're like as interests go, and to see if your interest match what you've actually done (if any) as homework.

For example, what would you conclude if in interviewee told you that he's like to be a surgeon, but never once shadowed or even talked to surgeons?

It's totally OK to have interests and change one's mind. It's also Ok to have have a clue, given the choices available!

Reactions: 2 users
If a school I have an interview at has two or more one on one interviews, is it appropriate to ask the same questions twice or more? Especially on the school's programs/current events? I would like to get information/thoughts from different faculty, but I am a bit concerned it would show up as a negative (asking questions to ask questions). Thank you.

If a school I have an interview at has two or more one on one interviews, is it appropriate to ask the same questions twice or more? Especially on the school's programs/current events? I would like to get information/thoughts from different faculty, but I am a bit concerned it would show up as a negative (asking questions to ask questions). Thank you.
''I asked this to my previous interviewer as well but I was wondering what you think of X?''

Obviously this doesn't work for questions with only one correct answer (is your curriculum p/f?) but for asking an opinion on strengths or weaknesses of the school I think it would be fine.

Asking the same question to multiple people can be very informative. If you get the same answer, you can counton the accuracy of the info. Multiple answers (let's say on rotation sites) suggests something might be fishy.

''I asked this to my previous interviewer as well but I was wondering what you think of X?''

Obviously this doesn't work for questions with only one correct answer (is your curriculum p/f?) but for asking an opinion on strengths or weaknesses of the school I think it would be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there anything special one can do to be prepared for an MMI interview? I have one coming up and am not sure how it's going to fly. I have done some research on them, but would love to get more opinions.

Is there anything special one can do to be prepared for an MMI interview? I have one coming up and am not sure how it's going to fly. I have done some research on them, but would love to get more opinions.

Good question. I want to know this too.

How can you tell how an interview went? I had one interview where i wasn't really asked much, the interview just kept repeating I'll do fine and everything I said was great. I had another interview where I was really grilled about any soft spot I had ( it was a school that supposedly hosts laid back interviews). I don't know what to make of it and how to gauge them.

In my opinion, there's not much else you can do aside from checking out some sample MMI questions and videos on youtube. Always be prepared for typical interview questions, because they could potentially use those as follow up questions. From my limited knowledge, a lot of schools give you a minute or two to think about your answer beforehand, which really comes in handy. I would even argue that the extra time to think gives you more time to provide great answers.

Speaking of mmi, how much ethics do we need to study or is a basic overview enough? Can the questions be answered with logic/minimal ethic vocab?

You can't, and people turn out to be terrible judges of how their interviews went/ Just treat them like you do exams; one of of the way, on to the next one!

How can you tell how an interview went? I had one interview where i wasn't really asked much, the interview just kept repeating I'll do fine and everything I said was great. I had another interview where I was really grilled about any soft spot I had ( it was a school that supposedly hosts laid back interviews). I don't know what to make of it and how to gauge them.

I believe I answered this is a different thread.
Speaking of mmi, how much ethics do we need to study or is a basic overview enough? Can the questions be answered with logic/minimal ethic vocab?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't, and people turn out to be terrible judges of how their interviews went/ Just treat them like you do exams; one of of the way, on to the next one!

I believe I answered this is a different thread.
yea I don't even remember what thread but I remember the answer so thanks!

Q: If you already have an acceptance and you are asked "what if you don't get into med school, what will you do?", what is the better way to answer this? Can I say that I have got an acceptance at another school (and thus the question doesn't apply to me)?

Is being against universal healthcare a red flag? Although I ideally believe anyone should be treated, and feel ethically compelled to help anyone who comes to me for help, I dislike the methods used to create universal healthcare. Basically, the methods go against my political beliefs.

Is this problematic?

Is being against universal healthcare a red flag? Although I ideally believe anyone should be treated, and feel ethically compelled to help anyone who comes to me for help, I dislike the methods used to create universal healthcare. Basically, the methods go against my political beliefs.

Is this problematic?
If you can find a way to intelligently reconcile those two stances, you're ahead of the game. You might have an issue taking such an unorthodox stance if you can't make it internally consistent (aka how would you treat everyone without the current universal healthcare methods systems?)

Even if I desire the result (healthcare for all), if I feel the means of achieving that result are not just, I cannot support it.

I do not support the current means that universal healthcare is brought into fruition. I believe rights are being violated. I cannot support a good result, even if I deeply desire it, if it brought about through despicable means.

Last edited:
Even if I desire the result (healthcare for all), if I feel the means of achieving that result are not just, I cannot support it.

I do not support the current means that universal healthcare is brought into fruition. I believe rights are being violated. I cannot support a good result, even if I deeply desire it, if it brought about through despicable means.
Right, right...but do you see a way that your desired result could be achieved that wouldn't bug you? Talk about that, then.

I have a possible way, but my problem is, if there is no good way to bring about something, it isn't my burden to make there be a way (is it?), it is quite possible there is no way to go about it and thus it shouldn't be a reality.

Imagine if I wanted democracy and freedom for every human being. Would I be justified to start a war, and kill billions to achieve that goal? If no one could come up with an alternative way to reach the goal, it still doesn't make my way right.

In the same way, if I can't plan up an alternative way to ensure everyone has access to healthcare, does that mean I have to support the only way to reach the goal (violating the rights of healthcare providers and the general public)?

From what I understand, most conservative doctors are against it, and most liberal doctors are for it. The independent doctors are split down the middle. I believe these independent doctors desire the results, but do not think the means are correct.

I have a possible way, but my problem is, if there is no good way to bring about something, it isn't my burden to make there be a way (is it?), it is quite possible there is no way to go about it and thus it shouldn't be a reality.

Imagine if I wanted democracy and freedom for every human being. Would I be justified to start a war, and kill billions to achieve that goal? If no one could come up with an alternative way to reach the goal, it still doesn't make my way right.

In the same way, if I can't plan up an alternative way to ensure everyone has access to healthcare, does that mean I have to support the only way to reach the goal (violating the rights of healthcare providers and the general public)?

All that depends on the philosophy you adopt (deontology, prima facie, rule or situational utilitarianism). Of note, this argument "if I can't plan up an alternative way to ensure everyone has access to healthcare, does that mean I have to support the only way to reach the goal " is an obvious logical fallacy, and the answer is no. I Don't have time to go into all the points you bring up in this post or your previous ones, but briefly: your stance on universal healthcare is not particularly unorthodox, at least among the medical community (though apparently it's more unorthodox for a premed, judging from previous posters here). There are many reasons to oppose universal healthcare, and they have been cited ad nauseam in the professional community. The argument that ends cannot be reduced to means (that is, ends don't justify means, and you oppose the means and therefore the end as it is reached through those means) suffices, and in no way are you stating the end itself is bad. Is it up to you to come up with an alternative? No. But, it might be preferred to see in an applicant not only the capability of valid reasoning (we shall leave soundness out of the discussion for now), but also suggestions of potential remedies (so, personally, I'd rather work with someone who can not only identify a problem logically, but can also be optimistic/creative/proactive in suggesting possible remedies). The personalities and traits of the latter and former (suggestions vs. no suggestions) are quite distinct.

Q: If you already have an acceptance and you are asked "what if you don't get into med school, what will you do?", what is the better way to answer this? Can I say that I have got an acceptance at another school (and thus the question doesn't apply to me)?

I mean you could, but I don't think you'd be addressing what the question seeks in an answer (how do you go about being faced with such a dilemma, do you make a plan B?C?D? Are you convinced it's just never going to happen and therefore don't have to come up with plans? Or is it really no biggie and you wanted to be a rockstar anyway, but mom really wanted a doc in the family? You get the idea). I'd prolly say that I fortunately have an acceptance (though that begs the question of what you're doing at an interview, do you settle, what about their institution, etc etc), but the process is very competitive and so I have considered that very dilemma and here's my solution (in my case, plan b, plan c, re-evaluate, etc).

All that depends on the philosophy you adopt (deontology, prima facie, rule or situational utilitarianism). Of note, this argument "if I can't plan up an alternative way to ensure everyone has access to healthcare, does that mean I have to support the only way to reach the goal " is an obvious logical fallacy, and the answer is no. I Don't have time to go into all the points you bring up in this post or your previous ones, but briefly: your stance on universal healthcare is not particularly unorthodox, at least among the medical community (though apparently it's more unorthodox for a premed, judging from previous posters here). There are many reasons to oppose universal healthcare, and they have been cited ad nauseam in the professional community. The argument that ends cannot be reduced to means (that is, ends don't justify means, and you oppose the means and therefore the end as it is reached through those means) suffices, and in no way are you stating the end itself is bad. Is it up to you to come up with an alternative? No. But, it might be preferred to see in an applicant not only the capability of valid reasoning (we shall leave soundness out of the discussion for now), but also suggestions of potential remedies (so, personally, I'd rather work with someone who can not only identify a problem logically, but can also be optimistic/creative/proactive in suggesting possible remedies). The personalities and traits of the latter and former (suggestions vs. no suggestions) are quite distinct.
I really just wanted to see that they'd thought about it beyond "I like universal healthcare but I dislike the ACA". That statement, with no further support/explanation, could be odd. What they ended up saying was fine...but it's not really important so much as the fact that they've thought about it beyond knee-jerk reactions.

I really just wanted to see that they'd thought about it beyond "I like universal healthcare but I dislike the ACA". That statement, with no further support/explanation, could be odd. What they ended up saying was fine...but it's not really important so much as the fact that they've thought about it beyond knee-jerk reactions.

Agreed (reasoning suffices). And I've noticed you're quite informed about healthcare systems (so it's a good sign you found their reasoning satisfactory).

This is a classic illustration of why this question I actually a bad question, because it can be moot. I learned that the hard way one day when the interviewee said "Well, I've already been accepted to med school".

So, you just say the same thing.

I always ask "what would you do if you never got accepted?" instead.

No, not at all. Not everyone is in favor of it, including many doctors. Just be able to defend your position.

Is this problematic?

Soooo I had an interview today and it was very casual conversation, and instead of saying mother/father I said mom/dad. Obviously it's too late to go back, but is this something I should absolutely NEVER EVER do again in an interview, or is mom/dad fine?

Soooo I had an interview today and it was very casual conversation, and instead of saying mother/father I said mom/dad. Obviously it's too late to go back, but is this something I should absolutely NEVER EVER do again in an interview, or is mom/dad fine?

Dude, you got an interview. High five. I think the mom/dad vs. mother/father is a situational call. I tend toward formality typically, but it really depends on the situation. It's awkward if everyone says mom/dad and you respond with mother/father. Matching affect is key in cultivating rapport (and thus trust, communication etc). If you felt comfortable enough to go with mom/dad, then it was probably appropriate.

LOL if this is the only thing you're kicking yourself over in retrospect I think you're fine.

I said ''my dad'' in my interview and I honestly think it would have been weird if I said father instead.

Out of all the things that could go wrong in a high stakes interview, this is what you are worried about?

Dude, you got an interview. High five. I think the mom/dad vs. mother/father is a situational call. I tend toward formality typically, but it really depends on the situation. It's awkward if everyone says mom/dad and you respond with mother/father. Matching affect is key in cultivating rapport (and thus trust, communication etc). If you felt comfortable enough to go with mom/dad, then it was probably appropriate.
LOL if this is the only thing you're kicking yourself over in retrospect I think you're fine.

I said ''my dad'' in my interview and I honestly think it would have been weird if I said father instead.
Out of all the things that could go wrong in a high stakes interview, this is what you are worried about?
3 answers all saying mom/dad is probably fine is good evidence that it is probably fine :) thanks y'all

Reactions: 3 users
You're either trolling poorly or need some Xanax and therapy, stat.

So, I have an embarrassing question. I sweat quite easily, and I already know being nervous and in a heavy suit with the weather still being warm is going to cause me to sweat a fair amount, is this going to be frowned upon during my interview? I don't want people thinking I'm in a fight or flight mode of panic with the interview

So, I have an embarrassing question. I sweat quite easily, and I already know being nervous and in a heavy suit with the weather still being warm is going to cause me to sweat a fair amount, is this going to be frowned upon during my interview? I don't want people thinking I'm in a fight or flight mode of panic with the interview

There are some remedies you could perhaps entertain. That said, it is relatively easy to distinguish between a sweaty calm dude and a panic-riddled applicant (recall hyperhidrosis vs. diaphoresis). You'll be fine, just don't let it get in your head and turn you from the former to the latter...

Several suggestions:

Try to arrange for interviews to be in colder weather (but if you aiming for Tulane or U Miami, you might be out of luck!)
Get some anti-anxiety meds
Get a light-weight/summer weight suit
Do some meditation/mindfulness exercises on interview day.

I sweat quite easily, and I already know being nervous and in a heavy suit with the weather still being warm is going to cause me to sweat a fair amount, is this going to be frowned upon during my interview? I don't want people thinking I'm in a fight or flight mode of panic with the interview
Prescription-strength deodorant might be a solution. Discuss this option with your health-care provider.

I wouldn't cross my mind to differentiate between those options.

Now, if you called one a "parental unit" it would catch my attention. So would "mommy" or "daddy".

I've had 2 interview days so far (4 one-on-one interviews), and 3 out of 4 interviewers asked me whether I had already interviewed elsewhere and/or whether I had more interviews scheduled. One of them even followed this up with "where exactly are these other schools?"
Is honesty the best answer here? It feels weird to tell a school how many other schools I've scheduled interviews at...

Yes, just be honest. If you're a really good candidate, you might be able to score some better scholarships or financial aid money. .

I've had 2 interview days so far (4 one-on-one interviews), and 3 out of 4 interviewers asked me whether I had already interviewed elsewhere and/or whether I had more interviews scheduled. One of them even followed this up with "where exactly are these other schools?"
Is honesty the best answer here? It feels weird to tell a school how many other schools I've scheduled interviews at...

Reactions: 4 users
interviewers asked me whether I had already interviewed elsewhere and/or whether I had more interviews scheduled. One of them even followed this up with "where exactly are these other schools?"
Is honesty the best answer here?
Yes, just be honest. If you're a really good candidate, you might be able to score some better scholarships or financial aid money. .
But I suggest you be well prepared for the common followup: "Why would you attend this school over XXXXX."

Last edited:
To follow up on this, I decided to answer it pretty broadly and say that I applied "everywhere, from CA schools to the east coast, to the South, etc." I then talked about how although my folks would love for me to stay in Cali, I was open to going anywhere so long as it has [community traits that I'm really interested in and which are relevant to the school I interviewed at]. Would this be seen sidestepping the question? It's too late to do anything about it now, of course, but should I modify my answers for future interviews?

And if I were your interviewer, I'd immediately say "you didn't answer my question. Where else did you get interviews?"

I have a poor opinion of people who don't or can't directly answer a question.

FYI, I don't ask people if they've been accepted, or where they've applied to. WE take it for granted that you're applying to other schools, and you probably have an accept or more as well.

Don't be afraid of this. These schools want you to come...that's why they're interviewing you!

To follow up on this, I decided to answer it pretty broadly and say that I applied "everywhere, from CA schools to the east coast, to the South, etc." I then talked about how although my folks would love for me to stay in Cali, I was open to going anywhere so long as it has [community traits that I'm really interested in and which are relevant to the school I interviewed at]. Would this be seen sidestepping the question? It's too late to do anything about it now, of course, but should I modify my answers for future interviews?

And if I were your interviewer, I'd immediately say "you didn't answer my question. Where else did you get interviews?"

I have a poor opinion of people who don't or can't directly answer a question.

FYI, I don't ask people if they've been accepted, or where they've applied to. WE take it for granted that you're applying to other schools, and you probably have an accept or more as well.

Don't be afraid of this. These schools want you to come...that's why they're interviewing you!
Oh, my apologies. I was asked where else I applied, not where else I'm interviewing. In this scenario, would I have to specify school names, or is the literal geographic region sufficient?

That's OK, but a follow-up question could easily be "Oh yeah? Like which ones?"

Even if a school is NOT your number 1 choice, you should be able to rattle off some reasons about why'd you'd want to attend there, other than "you'd accept me".

Oh, my apologies. I was asked where else I applied, not where else I'm interviewing. In this scenario, would I have to specify school names, or is the literal geographic region sufficient?

That's OK, but a follow-up question could easily be "Oh yeah? Like which ones?"

Even if a school is NOT your number 1 choice, you should be able to rattle off some reasons about why'd you'd want to attend there, other than "you'd accept me".

Dr. Goro, would it be appropriate to respond to that question by saying, "I've applied to X, Y, Z etc, but the thing I value the most is a school that's the right fit for me. And the things I really like about your program are A, B, C which is why I really would like to attend here"?

Could they ask why you applied to x y and z if they weren't a good fit ^^

Several suggestions:

Try to arrange for interviews to be in colder weather (but if you aiming for Tulane or U Miami, you might be out of luck!)
Get some anti-anxiety meds
Get a light-weight/summer weight suit
Do some meditation/mindfulness exercises on interview day.

Thanks Goro,
The sweating isn't really due to nerves (although it doesn't help, either!)

If the question comes up for "why this medical school?" Is talking about the location as a major selling point ok? One of the schools I'm interviewing (my top pick) is because it's location with regards the family/

Dr. Goro, would it be appropriate to respond to that question by saying, "I've applied to X, Y, Z etc, but the thing I value the most is a school that's the right fit for me. And the things I really like about your program are A, B, C which is why I really would like to attend here"?
That's unnecessary and irrelevant information. Don't stretch every question so you can reiterate a point. This kind of pandering can't be good. They asked where, just tell them where and stop.

If an interviewer asked if you'd like to add anything else at the end of an interview, would it be inappropriate to directly tell them that they're your top choice/you'd matriculate on the spot if they accepted you? Or would this come off as really desperate lmao...

If an interviewer asked if you'd like to add anything else at the end of an interview, would it be inappropriate to directly tell them that they're your top choice/you'd matriculate on the spot if they accepted you? Or would this come off as really desperate lmao...

I asked a very similar question toward the bottom of page 4 in this thread actually. Basically, yes, you'll come off as too desperate if you said something like that. If it really is your top choice, you should be able to provide them with an awesome and genuine response for "why this school?" kinda questions.