Got a 34M - VERY UNBALANCED MCAT - will this hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SheilaG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some input.

I got a 34 M on my mcat in may.

PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 14
with an M in writing.

This is the most unbalanced thing I've ever seen. I live in CA and would love to go somewhere here. will this hurt me? Im particularly worried about verbal and writing. I'm really not sure what happened... i was scoring well on practice tests. im so worried:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. That's a great overall MCAT and a stellar BS score. A 9 VR score falls within the 10-90% range of every CA school.

Be thankful you don't live in Canada where none of the sections can fall below a 10.

As long you don't get a J or K in writing, you have demonstrated that you are not illiterate. Don't worry about that.

I can't comment specifically on Cali schools, but your VR score isn't horrible. Your overall score is still really good, despite being unbalanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I need some input.

I got a 34 M on my mcat in may.

PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 14
with an M in writing.

This is the most unbalanced thing I've ever seen. I live in CA and would love to go somewhere here. will this hurt me? Im particularly worried about verbal and writing. I'm really not sure what happened... i was scoring well on practice tests. im so worried:eek:

You'll be just fine, a 34 is great, and a 9 in VR isn't that low.

My MCAT was actually really similar to that. 9 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS, R Writing.

Sort of unbalanced, but it didn't matter in the end.:)

I'm in a similar situation with a PS 9, VR 11, and BS 14. I'm trying to decide if I should retake, so any advice would be welcome!

Never retake a 34 unless you got 7 or less in a section, and even then, some applicants can get away with it.. A single 9 won't get you screened out anywhere, not even schools with MCAT averages of 36+.

Also, 11/9/14 isn't that unbalanced. Unbalanced would be something like 13/7/14.