Got accepted and considering DO/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotfishbrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As the title says, I got accepted to OU-HCOM and I am considering a dual-degree. I am a researcher and am interested in conducting research during my career, but I was wondering if obtaining a PhD would give me a leg up with getting into residencies? Do they care about additional degrees?

If I go into primary care then I guess it doesn't matter, but I do have a slight interest in neurology that it might help with. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waste of time. Much smarter to do that 1 year NIH research between years 2-3 and then a research fellowship if you choose to go that route for your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its 2 year preclinical + 3 years PhD + 2 years rotations

Was in a similar predicament as you with regards to choosing DO/PhD. I turned down applying to that track.

You will get better responses in the Physician Scientist Forum so I will move this thread there.

Is the program fully funded? That is: full stipend and tuition remission for all years in the program?

"Financial support will include a research fellowship for years three through seven. Graduate school tuition for doctoral studies in years three through five is waived."

Looks similar to MSUCOMs program in the fact that they cover a good chunk but not all of your tuition. Doesn't look like they cover room and board either.

Is that typical for non-MSTP MD PhD programs at MD schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"Financial support will include a research fellowship for years three through seven. Graduate school tuition for doctoral studies in years three through five is waived."

So not fully funded...

Is that typical for non-MSTP MD PhD programs at MD schools?

The larger non-MSTP MD/PhD programs are fully funded. To my knowledge, no DO/PhD program is fully funded. I only recommend programs that are fully funded.

Reactions: 3 users
I am out of state, so I will be given in-state tuition years 1 and 2, paid years 3,4,5,6,7 with reduced tuition on years 6 and 7.

I think it's a stipend of ~28-30,000 a year and can be spent how I wish (the actually numbers aren't released yet). There's no tuition during my PhD years either.

To be honest, in your case, I still don't think a PhD is worth it, even if it gets paid 100%. Your chance of becoming a NIH funded independent investigator coming out of a PhD program at OU-HCOM is extraordinarily small.

A cursory search of the faculty of that PhD program reveals many of them do not have their own independent NIH funding. A PhD coming of such a program is not going to add much to your research credential, and likely you will still need a research fellowship afterwards to gain any credibility if your eventual goal is an independent research career.

Reactions: 2 users
To be honest, in your case, I still don't think a PhD is worth it, even if it gets paid 100%. Your chance of becoming a NIH funded independent investigator coming out of a PhD program at OU-HCOM is extraordinarily small.

A cursory search of the faculty of that PhD program reveals many of them do not have their own independent NIH funding. A PhD coming of such a program is not going to add much to your research credential, and likely you will still need a research fellowship afterwards to gain any credibility if your eventual goal is an independent research career.

Thank you so much for your honesty. I'll consider everything that has been said in this thread. This may have saved me 3 years of my life =)