Got accepted but now I am confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamertoothie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I got accepted for the international dentist program, but now I have a lot on my head. I am currently in USA on B2 visa and have to leave before 8/15. The school's orientation is in December, which means the F1 visa will not be issued before November. Should I change my non-immigrant status while I remain in USA? Anybody went through it before?
a little bit clearer about my case if it helps: my family is all U.S citizens and my mom has filed a petition for my immigration 5 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Noone has that problem? no suggestion? :( anyway, thank you for reading.

IMO u shud get the F2 visa and come back to US . Which univ did u get accepted to ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you share your stats ? Im really trying to get into that school. Could you answer a few questions for me. starting with your stats and how long it took you to get accepted.... 10 questions max. PleasE?

Ask school to help with this issue, they will let you know what to do

Can you share your stats ? Im really trying to get into that school. Could you answer a few questions for me. starting with your stats and how long it took you to get accepted.... 10 questions max. PleasE?
Yes sure, I will answer you if I know.
My stat is:
GPA: 3.2 TOEFL 104. NDBE1: pass. NDBE2: not yet :D

As far as I know you could attend the visa interview for F1 visa within 90 days from the date on your i-20. So, lets say if your school starts on Dec 5th you should be able to attend the interview any day after Sep 5th. But once you get your F1 visa you are allowed into the country on F1 Visa only within one month from the date on your i-20.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I know you could attend the visa interview for F1 visa within 90 days from the date on your i-20. So, lets say if your school starts on Dec 5th you should be able to attend the interview any day after Sep 5th. But once you get your F1 visa you are allowed into the country on F1 Visa only within one month from the date on your i-20.
Thank you for the information. My problem is the affect of immigration petition on my chance of having the F1 visa comparing to changing status from B2 to F1 here in USA. Both have a lot of risks and I don't know what to do. Should I go back to my home country and try to apply for student visa (and may not get the visa so I will be stuck there) or should I try to stay here in the US and change the status. I am talking to the school but I am still confused. I've heard that someone had to withdraw the immigration petition to get the student visa. Well, I can do that if that is the last resort, but then, I still don't know should I risk to go back to my own country.

Thank you for the information. My problem is the affect of immigration petition on my chance of having the F1 visa comparing to changing status from B2 to F1 here in USA. Both have a lot of risks and I don't know what to do. Should I go back to my home country and try to apply for student visa (and may not get the visa so I will be stuck there) or should I try to stay here in the US and change the status. I am talking to the school but I am still confused. I've heard that someone had to withdraw the immigration petition to get the student visa. Well, I can do that if that is the last resort, but then, I still don't know should I risk to go back to my own country.
Hello,

Congrats on your acceptances at Colorado School of Dental Medicine. I got accepted at Penn Dental Medicine. I am currently on F2 visa, and have to convert to F1 visa. I would like to know whether you have applied to change of status here in USA or have you been to India for attending a visa. Kindly let me know the procedure you followed. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I got accepted for the international dentist program, but now I have a lot on my head. I am currently in USA on B2 visa and have to leave before 8/15. The school's orientation is in December, which means the F1 visa will not be issued before November. Should I change my non-immigrant status while I remain in USA? Anybody went through it before?
a little bit clearer about my case if it helps: my family is all U.S citizens and my mom has filed a petition for my immigration 5 years ago.
yea, i think that will be better