Got any superstitions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is kind of a humorous question, as I'm not a very superstitious person, but I'm curious if anyone has any superstitions regarding getting into vet school. I've seen things like people refusing to post in the "successful applicant stats" thread until they've heard back from everywhere, or not buying apparel from vet schools until it's a sure thing. Any others? No judgment here, no matter how quirky it is I'm curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I was conceived while my mom was on birth control and was born on a Friday the 13th at 4:20am. So, I tend to not be very superstitious ;) I believe that if you put the effort in, and its meant to happen, it'll happen.

I am, however, very careful about wording when talking about schools...stay positive!

I was conceived while my mom was on birth control and was born on a Friday the 13th at 4:20am. So, I tend to not be very superstitious ;) I believe that if you put the effort in, and its meant to happen, it'll happen.

I am, however, very careful about wording when talking about schools...stay positive!

I agree hard work is more important than luck or "good vibes", but I'm also kind of like Ted Mosby, believing in "signs from the universe." For instance two summers ago I shadowed at an SA clinic, and last summer they called ME up asking me to come work for them! I took it as a big sign that I'm on the right path. ;)

I'm also careful with wording, but maybe in a different way than you mean! I correct people when they say things like "when you're at vet school in the fall" or "you're going to be a vet, what do you think about...". It's still an "if", not a "when"! I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't qualify as a superstition, but it was an illogical habit -

One day I did poorly on a biochem test (pre-vet), so I went home and ate one of my comfort foods at the time: pickles. As I was eating the pickles I thought, "This is the taste of failure!" Which is silly and overly dramatic, but it stuck.

So I didn't eat pickles for quite some time. In fact, I didn't eat a pickle until after I was accepted into vet school. And even then I wouldn't eat them before vet school exams.

Now that I'm completely out I can eat pickles whenever I want :)

Reactions: 6 users
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not superstitious, and I don't believe in fate, signs, or anything like that.

About three months ago I had a fortune cookie with a fortune that said "In three months something wonderful will happen that will change your life". I wrote down the date on the calendar just for kicks, especially since in three months it would be January (a lot of adcom decisions!). I will admit, I got kind of excited in thinking maybe I would get an interview that day.... but I didn't. Nothing at all happened. Even though I don't believe in superstitions or anything, I still found myself hoping something exciting would happen that day :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
So this is kind of a humorous question, as I'm not a very superstitious person, but I'm curious if anyone has any superstitions regarding getting into vet school. I've seen things like people refusing to post in the "successful applicant stats" thread until they've heard back from everywhere, or not buying apparel from vet schools until it's a sure thing. Any others? No judgment here, no matter how quirky it is I'm curious!

My wife made me a chain with an acorn on it that I wore from the day I submitted my application until the day I got my acceptance.

Total nonsense. And I still did it.

Reactions: 1 users
I refused to eat my favorite food of all time (shrimp hibachi) unless I was accepted. I told myself that if future me eats hibachi and goes back and tells old me that, old me would get excited and think I must be celebrating and so I must have gotten in. Anyway after I received my acceptance I went out for hibachi (just a few nights ago actually!) And I thought "I wish I could tell old me so she could stop worrying" ....

I guess some people (myself being one of them) really start to lose it when there is that much stress and pressure x)

I refused to eat my favorite food of all time (shrimp hibachi) unless I was accepted. I told myself that if future me eats hibachi and goes back and tells old me that, old me would get excited and think I must be celebrating and so I must have gotten in. Anyway after I received my acceptance I went out for hibachi (just a few nights ago actually!) And I thought "I wish I could tell old me so she could stop worrying" ....

I guess some people (myself being one of them) really start to lose it when there is that much stress and pressure x)
This is definitely one of the most interesting things I have heard in a while. Please, tell us more... ;)

If there's something in my life that I reasonably can control to have the number 6 in it, I will. (So when I sign up for #6 in WW that is why, though I don't always do this ;) ) It's my number and all of the great things in my life have worked around it (yes, you see things you want to a certain degree, but I believe in it anyway). 12 works too, but not as preferable.

I don't do anything pre-emptive like buying clothes or even remotely planning for something like "when I get accepted" in case I jinx it.

I have a ritual of pets that I give my cat the morning of something important like an exam.

So I guess you could say I'm fairly superstitious.....

If there's something in my life that I reasonably can control to have the number 6 in it, I will. (So when I sign up for #6 in WW that is why, though I don't always do this ;) ) It's my number and all of the great things in my life have worked around it (yes, you see things you want to a certain degree, but I believe in it anyway). 12 works too, but not as preferable.

I don't do anything pre-emptive like buying clothes or even remotely planning for something like "when I get accepted" in case I jinx it.

I have a ritual of pets that I give my cat the morning of something important like an exam.

So I guess you could say I'm fairly superstitious.....
Shouldn't have revealed your weakness. That #6 spot is now mine in every future WW I play.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely one of the most interesting things I have heard in a while. Please, tell us more... ;)
Haha. Hey after not getting in during my first attempt last year I'm allowed to be a little crazy! It was funny though when I was trying to explain to my boyfriend why we absolutely couldn't go to our usual anniversary spot this year (Feb 14th)... At least now we can go again! I'm on the wait list for my first choice school and if I get in there I have a different restaurant in mind.

Last year I made sure not to jinx it by not looking into apartments or by not buying school items or looking at tablets (t100 please!), but this year I said screw it and started looking into housing after my interviews. I think me not wanting to jinx it was more of me not wanting to get my hopes up only to be disspointed, but I was pretty confident this time around.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only weird if it doesn't work :)

Not religious at all usually, but I always put money in the money box at a shrine or temple and make a wish. And esp on important years (like when I'm applying to vet school, jobs) I get good luck charms for car safety, academics and/or jobs. If i cant be there, my parents will send them my way. This year I even got a fortune, which tells me I should have a fairly good year. Apparently if I started early enough, I will find a job.

Sounds like cray cray talk, but pretty normal for the generally superstitious population of Japan. Funny, because it doesn't matter if you go to a Shinto shrine or Buddhist temple... And if you ask a random person what god looks like, many will envision an old white man with a beard

Not religious at all usually, but I always put money in the money box at a shrine or temple and make a wish. And esp on important years (like when I'm applying to vet school, jobs) I get good luck charms for car safety, academics and/or jobs. If i cant be there, my parents will send them my way. This year I even got a fortune, which tells me I should have a fairly good year. Apparently if I started early enough, I will find a job.

Sounds like cray cray talk, but pretty normal for the generally superstitious population of Japan. Funny, because it doesn't matter if you go to a Shinto shrine or Buddhist temple... And if you ask a random person what god looks like, many will envision an old white man with a beard
I have a scholarship charm I got in Japan that I love. That little charm has gotten me through high school and undergrad and it has done it's job well :)

I have a scholarship charm I got in Japan that I love. That little charm has gotten me through high school and undergrad and it has done it's job well :)
Ack! They're supposed to be replaced each year, and the old ones returned to the shrine/temple. Lol, not gonna lie... I have a bunch built up because I don't always pack them with me when I go back. Just whatever you do, don't trash it because that will be really bad luck. You'll flunk out of vet school or something.

Ack! They're supposed to be replaced each year, and the old ones returned to the shrine/temple. Lol, not gonna lie... I have a bunch built up because I don't always pack them with me when I go back. Just whatever you do, don't trash it because that will be really bad luck. You'll flunk out of vet school or something.
Oh man, I didn't know that! Oh well, it's not like I've been back to Japan. I definitely won't trash it :)

For getting into vet school, I didn't do anything really superstitious. I did hang on to my acceptance letter until after the first day of school though, just in case there was some mistake or something, I could wave it around and say, "No! You already told me I could come!!"

I used to have a few things I took to every exam. I would have something from each of my family - my dad's ring, a ring my mom gave me, and a little angel medallion-thing my sister gave me. I don't do it anymore. I do still have the neurotic tendency to have multiple pens and pencils though. I generally have two pencils and two pens for every exam.

For getting into vet school, I didn't do anything really superstitious. I did hang on to my acceptance letter until after the first day of school though, just in case there was some mistake or something, I could wave it around and say, "No! You already told me I could come!!"

I still have my acceptance letter...

In college, I had a certain shirt I wore to an exam. It really did do the charm! Unfortunately, I can't wear it to class since it is a nerd shirt.

I used to have a few things I took to every exam.

Ha. Totally reminded me of another stupid superstition I have .... The first exam of second year I needed a pencil. The guy next to me loaned me one.

I've used it for every exam since. There's not a chance I'll take a vet school exam without Purple Exam Pencil.

I still have my acceptance letter...

Me too. I'm not throwing that away.

room2.jpg

On the shelf, on the left side...

Reactions: 5 users
I have several things that can be seen as superstitious. I always arrive at the room 1 hour before to study within the room, within the given seat that I learned the material, because I believe that the situational surroundings of studying can impact how well the information is retained. If I ever do poorly on an exam, I always make sure I find the pen/pencil I used on the exam and put it in the garbage can (b/c you know, it was clearly the inatimate object's fault why I did poorly). I also never eat breakfast except on the day's of exams, where I will always have a fruit smoothie, a bagel, and some type of cereal bar (and I panic if I wake up late and am not able to have my "essential" meal that will clearly make or break my grade. I know the majority of these are silly, but hey, its not crazy if it works :p.

In college, I had a certain shirt I wore to an exam. It really did do the charm! Unfortunately, I can't wear it to class since it is a nerd shirt.
I frequently wear Ravenclaw shirts to exams--that's definitely like a +1 to Intelligence, right? ;)

I hang up a voodoo doll during exam time and he does not come down until I get exam results....

58f2aa12983611e1989612313815112c_6.jpg

also this thread reminds me of...

That moment where you realize you've found your people... :D I have an ugly mechanical pencil that I take all my notes with and i have a pretty yellow one that I take all my exams with. I also slouch in my seat and cross my right leg behind my left leg in my "Exam Posture"

I have a necklace that one of the vets I worked with gave me. It has the veterinary caduceus on it. I wear it every day and I have to wear it to exams. I accidentally forgot it for one of my exams and it was the only exam I have failed since starting vet school. So, it must be worn at all times and present at every exam.

Here's a weird one I just realized. I have to have my same periodic table printout for every Chem class and exam. Professor has handed out nice new giant ones and I like my ripped one from last semester just fine.

I really like this thread! I have a four leaf clover necklace from Ireland that I wear on important days: wore it the day I found out about getting accepted to my first choice college, wear it for big tests I'm worried about, and definitely plan on wearing it on the day I'm going to find out about various vet school applications! It's not that I think it will bring me luck, but it definitely comforts me!

I check my junk folder practically every day (I used to check it very very rarely), since I'm scared I'll miss an important email and it'll get automatically deleted otherwise (or what it they expect an immediate reply and I didn't get back to them in 24 hours??). I also refuse to let anyone get the mail besides me, even though I'm not expecting anything to come by mail, at least not until February.
Also, annoyingly to everyone around me I know, I refuse to let anyone say I will get accepted. The only thing allowed is "good luck," even though I know they're just trying to be nice...but what if they jinx me??
;)

I have a lot of superstitions but none of them actually apply to veterinary medicine and/or to veterinary school.

Originally I am from Ukraine and my parents and grandparents somehow managed to brainwash me into these silly ways of thinking. Because I am bored and lonely I'm going to write them here now.

If you are giving somebody who is about to leave something you cannot hand it over the doorstep. You have to either step outside or the person has to step inside to hand something over. That also applies to hugging someone before they leave you can't do it across the doorstep.

If you forget something as you're leaving your house and you have to go back for it before you leave the house again you have to look in the mirror. I don't know what this one is about.

If somebody stepped on your foot or if you step on someone else's foot by accident you have to step back or they have to step back. Otherwise you will get into a huge fight.

When someone is leaving you can't to use this one word to ask them where they're going. Alternatively you can rephrase the question as stating how far are you going? I know that once sort of deals with someone having a safe trip.

You can't whistle indoors or you will lose all your money.

Can't really think of any other ones right now.

Love this thread! I have a superstition, but part of my superstition is that I cannot tell anyone about it or it won't work anymore. :/

A secondary superstition that isn't a very strong one, so I can talk about it, is wearing stripes. Any day is improved if some stripes are thrown in, but it is especially good on critical days or on hard exams. Stripes are good energy!

Last edited:
Love this thread! I have a superstition, but part of my superstition is that I cannot tell anyone about it or it won't work anymore. :/

A secondary superstition that isn't a very strong one, so I can talk about it, is wearing stripes. Any day is improved if some stripes are thrown in, but it is especially good on critical days or on hard exams. Stripes are good energy!
Damn, should have worn stripes today!

I don't remember any for veterinary school admissions except trying not to worry about it too much after the interview. I'd get accepted or not.

I do have one for exams. When I took Latin in college, the professor always wrote "Bona Fortunam!" above every exam. So now, while "good luck" may be acceptable for normal circumstances, only the Latin will work before exams.

It's not really a supersition but more like a compulsive behavior... But there are these molasses cookies I give my horse that smell absolutely amazing... So whenever I'm going to give him one I have to smell it first. =p

Also, I wear a coral necklace every day and never take it off. It started just because I like it... But now, I dunno... Life feels weird without it.

No real superstitions here, though I think it's always interesting to see what everyone does for good luck during exam time. One of my friends always wears mismatched ear plugs during exams, someone else wears a certain pair of socks during anatomy exams, and I usually listen to my favorite Pandora station right before, and make sure to sit on the right side of the exam room. Who knows what we will come up with next semester :p

I always feel like I left the front or back door unlocked and check it about five times before I finally go to bed. Not sure if this is superstition, or just serious flaws with my short-term memory! haha

Also, for good luck I've been bringing a rubber ducky to exams since junior year of high school. I even coordinate it with the holidays- I had Christmas duckies for finals last week!

This is not vet related, but seasonally appropriate. My friend is from Mexico and he says that on New Years Eve, you should wear NEW red underwear if you want good luck in love and NEW yellow underwear if you want good luck with money for the coming year.

Whenever I have a big exam or interview I blast "Eye of the Tiger" super loud when I'm getting ready in the morning. I figure it helped Rocky get to the top of all those stairs, so it might help me ace biochem too! :)