Got Caught Cheating on Exam, Is my pre-med career over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Usually the testimony of a professor and TA saying they saw cheating/peeking across half an hour would be enough wouldn't it?
Nah, not enough, at least at my undergrad. Its just like in court, witness testimony can't make a case. Students always say they are thinking and just staring into space. Unless the exam answered are remarkably like the neighbors, there's no way to prove any cheating but were involved.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand not wanting to ruin someone's career prospects, but willingness to cheat when all that is on the line is a grade (even as big a deal as those are) signals a willingness to cheat when the stakes are even higher. What will they be willing to lie about when a patient has been harmed, etc? What will they attempt to cover up?

I think that giving the cheater an opportunity to confess would have been ideal. Like, take the exam and call them into an office to ask them if there is anything they would like to say about the exam they just took. If they fess up immediately, then leniency like this might be called for. People do sometimes make horrible choices and getting caught should be an opportunity for redemption, if the person is genuinely regretful enough to immediately come clean. If not, well, then you do have a witness and you push for the IA.

I think that leniency without sincere contrition from the student just teaches them to be more careful when they cheat again.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

all schools should just make every student take every test at a prometrics center

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
all schools should just make every student take every test at a prometrics center

:)
What's bizarre to me is the many LACs that give students take home finals and just tell them not to use notes or Google or collaboration. "Honor code is taken seriously people really don't cheat!" Yeah uh huh sure. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be if test centers administered the MCAT that way? Here you go, bring it back in the morning, no cheating! What the hell makes it OK to handle the GPA so loosely in those schools? Sets everything up to reward cheaters.

Reactions: 2 users
What's bizarre to me is the many LACs that give students take home finals and just tell them not to use notes or Google or collaboration. "Honor code is taken seriously people really don't cheat!" Yeah uh huh sure. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be if test centers administered the MCAT that way? Here you go, bring it back in the morning, no cheating! What the hell makes it OK to handle the GPA so loosely in those schools? Sets everything up to reward cheaters.
Someone should've told me this before college.

Not that I would ever :D

In the real world, you have access to computers and your peers when you're solving problems. In fact, you probably have a little device in your pocket that can answer a good portion of questions that you have

what's LAC

Reactions: 1 user
In the real world, you have access to computers and your peers when you're solving problems. In fact, you probably have a little device in your pocket that can answer a good portion of questions that you have
Its more the assessing ability/reasoning capacity that is the issue, not knowledge. It may be important to demonstrate that, given a set of general principles, I can figure out what happens when molecule A is put in acid for reasons other than knowing the product.

Different schools have different environments. At WashU that probably wouldn't work well for pre-med courses, at a small LAC it may.

Different schools have different environments. At WashU that probably wouldn't work well for pre-med courses, at a small LAC it may.
Uh huh and so if there were a prometric center by an LAC you'd be fine with them letting the testers take the test home? Telling them to only spend X time per section and not use the internet or collaborate?

Uh huh and so if there were a prometric center by an LAC you'd be fine with them letting the testers take the test home? Telling them to only spend X time per section and not use the internet or collaborate?

I give take home essay exams to graduate students. I have caught cheaters. It is one of the reasons I have Kleenex in my office.

Reactions: 3 users

I wasn't talking about the MCAT. That is a different test - very standardized; undergrad courses are not so standardized and different styles of teaching/testing will work, depending on the environment. At a more cut throat school I expect more cheating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I give take home essay exams to graduate students. I have caught cheaters. It is one of the reasons I have Kleenex in my office.
You must recognize that for every one you catch several probably get by. Wouldnt seeing that a chunk of students are cheaters motivate you to switch to a more cheatproofed system?

Or maybe I'm just too much of a cynic and people really don't abuse freedoms to the degree I'd predict.

I wasn't talking about the MCAT. That is a different test - very standardized; undergrad courses are not so standardized and different styles of teaching/testing will work, depending on the environment. At a more cut throat school I expect more cheating.
I don't follow. You think whether a test is multiple choice or timed or the same questions as everyone else's test, would change whether a student was willing to violate the honor code?

Nah, not enough, at least at my undergrad. Its just like in court, witness testimony can't make a case. Students always say they are thinking and just staring into space. Unless the exam answered are remarkably like the neighbors, there's no way to prove any cheating but were involved.

And this, frankly, is better than having a whole lot of people who get falsely convicted of cheating (like at my undergrad!)

How so? I mean a girl got caught sneaking flash cards into Ochem here last year, and I really did want to see her expelled.

Profs all have their own view. Some think that a permanent IA is too harsh and don't want to completely ruin a student's future for one mistake.

But now that I think about it, the process of reporting a student is long, bureaucratic, and repulsive, so that, I concede, might have something to do with it as well.

I'm not saying what I think, but just trying to think from a professor's viewpoint. Plus cheating on an exam where almost everyone will fail won't provide that much unfair marginal benefit.

You must recognize that for every one you catch several probably get by. Wouldnt seeing that a chunk of students are cheaters motivate you to switch to a more cheatproofed system?

Or maybe I'm just too much of a cynic and people really don't abuse freedoms to the degree I'd predict.

The final, consisting of some essay questions and 2 weeks to write them, isn't that difficult; there should be no reason to cheat. A really poor grade on the exam tends toward 80% and I don't curve so if everyone had a perfect exam and other wise did well, everyone would get an A. (This is grad school; the land of grade inflation.) Based on experience, I believe that maybe 2% cheat. The punishment is to fail a required course which means not graduating. The penalty is so high that it works as a deterrent. Sometimes the oddest circumstances tip me toward suspecting cheating and with the tools we have to check texts against each other and against the internet it is pretty easy to confirm a suspicion.

Ask for a F on the exam or class and retake the course later to, at least, salvage your GPA.

Last edited:
I don't follow. You think whether a test is multiple choice or timed or the same questions as everyone else's test, would change whether a student was willing to violate the honor code?

MCAT is a standardized exam and the conditions are very stringent - it makes sense to have it this way because you are directly comparing applicants on a national scale.

Take home exams are often very different than simple multiple choice tests - they are often open ended. Furthermore they work differently for different classes - they don't work too well for cut throat pre-med classes (but this is a generalization and I have had science classes where I had take home exams). The culture of cheating really depends on the environment - some environments are more laid back, grading is less harsh, professors are looking for more critical analysis rather than "right or wrong", and in these cases take home exams work fine. Some environments are really high-pressure (ex. top pre-med feeder schools), and maybe it won't work so well here. There are students at every school/class that cheat, but certain elements can make the cheating more widespread or more contained. Furthermore, cheating can be discouraged by raising the stakes.

I don't know where you are getting confused - are you projecting? ;) Are you thinking that take home exams are simple multiple choice tests? In my experience 99% are not. Every take home exam I have gotten for a science class has been very open ended and outside research was not only encouraged, but needed. Collaboration was needed as well for take home group exams (yes, this is a thing).

MCAT is a standardized exam and the conditions are very stringent - it makes sense to have it this way because you are directly comparing applicants on a national scale.

Take home exams are often very different than simple multiple choice tests - they are often open ended. Furthermore they work differently for different classes - they don't work too well for cut throat pre-med classes (but this is a generalization and I have had science classes where I had take home exams). The culture of cheating really depends on the environment - some environments are more laid back, grading is less harsh, professors are looking for more critical analysis rather than "right or wrong", and in these cases take home exams work fine. Some environments are really high-pressure (ex. top pre-med feeder schools), and maybe it won't work so well here. There are students at every school/class that cheat, but certain elements can make the cheating more widespread or more contained. Furthermore, cheating can be discouraged by raising the stakes.

I don't know where you are getting confused - are you projecting? ;) Are you thinking that take home exams are simple multiple choice tests? In my experience 99% are not. Every take home exam I have gotten for a science class has been very open ended and outside research was not only encouraged, but needed. Collaboration was needed as well for take home group exams (yes, this is a thing).
Yeah these are extremely foreign ideas for me lol
Group exam, no right answers on the science exams, etc...but how do you crush peoples souls and weed them out???

Yeah these are extremely foreign ideas for me lol
Group exam, no right answers on the science exams, etc...but how do you crush peoples souls and weed them out???

To be fair, for me nearly all pre-reqs were traditional exams; so many souls were still crushed.

But upper level science courses did veer off from that.

My father is a professor, and he has pretty much said he never reports students to the conduct boards unless they really try to argue the cheating with him because it is just such a long process. Pretty much for his undergrad students, all of his regular exams are almost completely multiple choice, and everyone has the same exam, so if they copy each others scantrons, so be it. They get away with it.

On his final exam, he switches it up with everyone having one of say four different forms, and he doesn't tell any of the students. He just goes and sorts the exams to their form later on. Anyways, every semester some students who have been cheating the entire semester decide to copy someone else during the final exam and essentially get like a 2% or a 4% on the final, when you would theoretically get like a 20% or 25% if you just guessed every question , which is worth 35% of their grade, almost automatically failing them. If they try and discuss their grade with them, he's more than happy to bring them in and discuss how they cheated on their exam. The large majority of them don't even try to argue it because they know they're screwed.

I go to a LAC and we have online closed book quizzes and take home tests pretty often. Drives me nuts. Students and teachers who think that no one cheats on these are delusional.

I am in full agreement with Efle on this one, and I think take home Exams in rigorous pre-med science courses is the most ridiculous concept I've heard yet.

It is completely not fair to people like myself who come from large public state universities in which we have 4-5 proctors walking around the large 400-600 man lecture hall for the entire exam.

I am in full agreement with Efle on this one, and I think take home Exams in rigorous pre-med science courses is the most ridiculous concept I've heard yet.

It is completely not fair to people like myself who come from large public state universities in which we have 4-5 proctors walking around the large 400-600 man lecture hall for the entire exam.
Just another reason something like the MCAT is necessary :/

Just another reason something like the MCAT is necessary :/

I wish there was some QA policy representatives who could come in and check exam policies of every university and college.

Kind of like how a food inspector comes in to check out your restaurant.

well it's not really fair to those of us who don't cheat either. It's not on the prereq exams or anything, but I've had it on random quizzes and upper div chem/physics tests.

well it's not really fair to those of us who don't cheat either. It's not on the prereq exams or anything, but I've had it on random quizzes and upper div chem/physics tests.

Yea, that's true. Another reason to do away with it. There has got to be a considerable amount of pre-meds who cheat on these take home exams. Half my genetics class failed the final because they kept using old tests and teacher changed the final.

Thats just ONE class from ONE university in the many many many post-secondary institutions in the United States.

The prereqs and the upper divs end up in the same sGPA number, so it isn't that much a defense to say exams were proctored in prereqs anyways

The prereqs and the upper divs end up in the same sGPA number, so it isn't that much a defense to say exams were proctored in prereqs anyways
ya, I was just responding to gandy's mention of "pre-med science courses", which I interpreted as prereqs

Plus, adcoms like higher grades in upper division science courses anyways.

Do you guys happen to know if the upper div chemistry/physics/engineering classes have take homes at your school? Some of those take so much time in calculations that it's downright impractical to do it in class.

Do you guys happen to know if the upper div chemistry/physics/engineering classes have take homes at your school? Some of those take so much time in calculations that it's downright impractical to do it in class.

I have several engineering friends and physics friends from my Uni. They never had that. They just complained about how insanely hard their physics and engineering classes were and wished they had just done pre-med instead.

After look at their Statics Homework 9001, I quickly realized their pain.

I have several engineering friends and physics friends from my Uni. They never had that. They just complained about how insanely hard their physics and engineering classes were and wished they had just done pre-med instead.

haha yeah, my SO is a phys/engineering major. I have a higher GPA but I feel significantly dumber

There's lots of classes where the highest final grade is a B-

I know of some classes that have take-home exams (Ochem III comes to mind) but there are no rules given about internet use / collaboration / time limits. You're expected to use all resources you can come up with. I have absolutely never heard of any class here giving a take home test with easily-cheated instructions like no web, no working together, no notes, time limit, etc.

haha yeah, my SO is a phys/engineering major. I have a higher GPA but I feel significantly dumber
I'd always heard engi was the toughest, but that's not really the case here. Huge swaths of BME and ChemE get weeded out by the shared bio and chem prereqs alongside the premeds. And their school until this year had no + or - grading, so I had heard of some engineers graduating with 4.0s

I had heard of some engineers graduating with 4.0s
wat

I suppose it sort of balances out in the end then. Like I said, we have lots of physics/engineeering classes where no one gets higher than a B/B-

I know of some classes that have take-home exams (Ochem III comes to mind) but there are no rules given about internet use / collaboration / time limits. You're expected to use all resources you can come up with. I have absolutely never heard of any class here giving a take home test with easily-cheated instructions like no web, no working together, no notes, time limit, etc.

I'd always heard engi was the toughest, but that's not really the case here. Huge swaths of BME and ChemE get weeded out by the shared bio and chem prereqs alongside the premeds. And their school until this year had no + or - grading, so I had heard of some engineers graduating with 4.0s

Nah see, the engineering classes seem outrageous. Hell, have you seen some of the upper division DiffQ classes. One problem takes up several pages and apparently because of "limits and other mumbo jumbo" there stops being a hard and fast way to do high level mathematics at that level. Sounds scary to me. I'd rather stick to p=mv friend. l0l

Of course my particular Orgo 2 class with he particular teacher I had is debatably one of the hardest classes on our campus for undergrads.

wat

I suppose it sort of balances out in the end then. Like I said, we have lots of physics/engineeering classes where no one gets higher than a B/B-
Yeah actually my water polo captain freshman and sophomore year graduated the engineering with a 4.0, never got a B. Thought he was going to end up at Microsoft but MIT snatched him with a really sexy salary at the last minute. Dude was awesome in every way, brainy and a six pack

In my opinion, cheating is pretty bad and you're probably done for.

I stand by my assessment of my alma mater, thanks anyway though @efle and @Pusheen
I am not the only one...there was an SDNer from Smith on here who felt similarly to me. If you don't have that trust for your classmates and professors, sorry...it would suck to feel as if your classmates were cheating on a regular basis.

We never had curves, so it doesn't matter what I think on it one way or another. I earned the grades I deserved and if someone cheated (despite that contradicting the entirety of my 4yrs experience there) I guess I just truly dgaf...only hurts them down the line, not me. Most of my upper level classes had <7 people in them, though, and we worked very closely together. I know how well they knew the material, just as my professors did. I'd stand by any of my fellow chemistry majors and put my own grade on the line to vouch that they did not cheat on take-home assessments.

I don't know everyone in the other departments whose classes I took, but though I am not as rock-solid, unshakeably confident about each individual in those courses (I don't know them all), I'd still bet good money on it being a very rare occurrence - it's just not a part of our school culture.

Lying to your professor at this point would be playing russian roulette with a bullet filling every slot. As others have stated, she already knows. A professor wouldn't charge head first into a cheating accusation without being completely prepared to back up the claims. If you were really aspiring to be a doctor, lying wouldn't even be an option.

The fact that I've seen people telling the OP to lie worries me considering the profession we are going into. I will be personally staying away from these types of people and letting any staff member know in med school about their cheating ways if I hear about it. I do not want to work with people that are dishonest when patients lives are on the line. Cheating is a form of dishonesty and if someone learns from it I respect that, we all make stupid mistakes.