Got interview to Cambridge University in UK & then got rejected, should I re-apply for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clueless.soul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian student. When I was in high school, I had applied to Cambridge University in UK for medical school before starting 12th grade in high school.

I was required to submit all my academic records from 6th grade and onwards to the time I was applying, had to submit letters of recommendations, take the admission exam, and also write a personal statement.

Back then, I was a straight A/honour roll student taking advance placement classes all throughout high school. My academic record from 6th grade to 11th grade consisted of mostly 85% to high 90s in most of my classes. However, I did have very few 70s here and there.

Anyways, I got an invitation from Cambridge for an interview for medical school. I did really poor on the interview and as a result, I did not make it in.

Following my rejection, my grades in classes started decreasing in 12th grade from high 80s and 90s to low 50s and 60s. I did not end up getting admissions to most Canadian universities as a result of my low grades in 12th grade, especially in math.

Now, I am currently a 3rd year student currently going to a small, low ranking Canadian university. I have a severely poor academic track record in university. I always try really hard, but still can't get my grades high enough. I don't know why I keep having grades. No matter how hard I try, I consistently fail classes, retake classes, and try to boost my GPA. It's been really tough for me. I currently have a 2.0 as my overall GPA.

I have taken all the pre-requisites for medical school and am currently completing my major as an environmental engineer. I was performing really badly in the science faculty majoring in biochemistry. As a result, I transferred to engineering faculty. So now, I'm a 3rd year university student but this is my 1st year in engineering. My parents forced me to go in it. Engineering is not my dream, it's more my parents. This is why I'm in it.

I've always wanted to get into medical school my entire life, and I was wondering what I can do now to have a good shot at still getting into medical school. It is something I want to do really badly. Should I try to re-apply for medical school??? I don't think I'll be able to apply to Cambridge after my senior high school grade and my awful post secondary grades. But should I try to apply to other schools still?

I really want to pursue medicine and would like really know what I can do at this point to try and make it in.

Any advices??? Please, I need all the advice I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, fellow Canadian here. If you don't mind me asking, what university did you come from? What was your MCAT score? How is your first year engineering GPA compared to your previous biochem? What changed that made you do so poorly in grade 12 and university?

Are you still trying to get into Cambridge? Not a British or Canadian, I have a friend who got accepted to a medical school in UK however. I remember that she had to take A levels and BMAT for the admission requirements. Have you taken those yet?

If you're trying to get in NA schools, you're a bit out of luck with that GPA. You need to bring it up 3.2+ GPA and do really well on the MCAT.