Got interviews at Scripps and USC -- need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych2MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been perusing SDN for the past several couple of years, as I'd been allowing myself to fantasize about becoming an MD. I think I've done enough reading to ask a question now. I have a BA in psychology and a very strong GPA, and have been working as a counselor at a psychiatric center which carries good weight for "volunteering" because I want to be a psychiatrist.

I've applied to both Scripps and USC post-bacc, and this morning I got emails from both of them (consecutively!) inviting me to interview. I had to read them a few times before it sunk in that they were the opposite of rejection letters, and then I did the running man in my undies (yeah, I'm pretty old). But now I (might) have some hard thinking to do.

From what I've read (and this hasn't been everyone's take on things) the USC interview is more of a "congratulations, you're in, here's what you'll be doing for the 6 trillion USD you're about to spend," while the Scripps interview is a proper blindfold-and-waterboard routine. My interview at USC is on the 13th (which is only 6 days from now so if you're considering answering, please do so ASAP). My interview at Scripps isn't until mid November. I like the comparatively sparkly reputation of Scripps, and would choose them if I have that luxury.

My dilemma is that I'm likely to need to give a yes or a no to USC before I've even had a chance to see where I stand with Scripps after I interview. I could be a d*^# and say yes to USC, with the intention of flaking if I get into Scripps as well, but I suspect that there will be a hefty deposit to forfeit and some possible karmic retribution to face down the line. I might also see if Scripps can move up my interview date, but I don't know if that'll queer the deal with them or even if they'd be able to move it close enough to now for the problem to be solved. Nobody likes having to say "no."

Sorry for the wall of text -- any SDN'ers faced similar situations? Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been perusing SDN for the past several couple of years, as I'd been allowing myself to fantasize about becoming an MD. I think I've done enough reading to ask a question now. I have a BA in psychology and a very strong GPA, and have been working as a counselor at a psychiatric center which carries good weight for "volunteering" because I want to be a psychiatrist.

I've applied to both Scripps and USC post-bacc, and this morning I got emails from both of them (consecutively!) inviting me to interview. I had to read them a few times before it sunk in that they were the opposite of rejection letters, and then I did the running man in my undies (yeah, I'm pretty old). But now I (might) have some hard thinking to do.

From what I've read (and this hasn't been everyone's take on things) the USC interview is more of a "congratulations, you're in, here's what you'll be doing for the 6 trillion USD you're about to spend," while the Scripps interview is a proper blindfold-and-waterboard routine. My interview at USC is on the 13th (which is only 6 days from now so if you're considering answering, please do so ASAP). My interview at Scripps isn't until mid November. I like the comparatively sparkly reputation of Scripps, and would choose them if I have that luxury.

My dilemma is that I'm likely to need to give a yes or a no to USC before I've even had a chance to see where I stand with Scripps after I interview. I could be a d*^# and say yes to USC, with the intention of flaking if I get into Scripps as well, but I suspect that there will be a hefty deposit to forfeit and some possible karmic retribution to face down the line. I might also see if Scripps can move up my interview date, but I don't know if that'll queer the deal with them or even if they'd be able to move it close enough to now for the problem to be solved. Nobody likes having to say "no."

Sorry for the wall of text -- any SDN'ers faced similar situations? Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?

I was in your exact situation--I had already been accepted to USC, and had yet to interview with Scripps. However, my interviews were quite a bit closer together compared to yours. Note that these programs DO accept more than they expect to enter so..I don't see that much wrong with saying yes to USC. I think USC is a much bigger (class-wise) program, so losing you is probably not as big of a deal. You can ask and see if you can move up the interview date.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you end up going? Are you glad? What were the two different interviews like? Thank you for replying!!

Scripps was a much more "intense" interview--there was little to no "selling" of the school. You go to lunch with one or several of the students on the day of the interview--it's a really good way to ask the students various questions about student life and some of the more personal things. I ended up choosing Scripps of course and couldn't be happier about it. My class was intensely successful with courses and the MCAT with me being the lowest scorer at a 32 (sigh). The support, small class camaraderie and access to advisors, professors, etc is really a big selling point for Scripps. Also, the post-bac program really does a good job of setting up appropriate research and volunteering programs.

USC would have been a fine option and I am pretty sure I would have been intensely happy there too. It is a bigger program, but I've heard great things, and they did a really good job of selling the program to me.