Got into a fight with my roommate over email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

router1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Talk to your student affairs office (or whoever handles this), apologize profusely, and try to get off with just a slap on the wrist.

I hope things work out.

There's nothing in this that says "kicked out of school" (no meth lab, firearms, bringing home patient charts, etc), but seriously you guys both need to grow the eff up. I would recommend apologizing to the roommate even prior to meeting the coordinator. Then you shake hands and start finding an apartment to rent ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
You both sound like douches but you're probably fine as long as this doesn't happen again.

And work on anger management/stop taking the bait.

apologizing is out of the question. I can't stand this guy. I was actually warned by a lot of people when I decided to live with this guy. It was me not recognizing warning signs that led to this mess. But yeah i need to work on my temper/not taking the bait. If i could go back, I would shrug off the condescending email so i won't have to deal with this especially when boards are coming up in a month.

Last edited:
apologizing is out of the question. I can't stand this guy. He is a Grade A *******. Don't get me wrong I'm also an ******* too but I wouldn't say Grade A, maybe A-. I was actually warned by a lot of people when I decided to live with this guy. It was me not recognizing warning signs that led to this mess. But yeah i need to work on my temper/not taking the bait. If i could go back, I would shrug off the condescending email so i won't have to deal with this especially when boards are coming up in a month.

Step one: grow up
Step two: move out of the dorm (see step one)
Step three: seriously consider anger management, if you pull that kind of BS with an attending or senior resident, you very well might get your card pulled. if you pull it on some random douche you might wake up in the ICU, or worse.

Cheers!

Work it out like grown ups and perhaps next time be a lot more choosy about who you choose to room with.

Work it out like grown ups and perhaps next time be a lot more choosy about who you choose to room with.

And for God's sake, you're in med school. find someplace to stay where you dont need an RA to keep the peace

Do you share a shower? If so, urinate in his face wash. Next time you think about how mad he makes you, you will remember that he has rubbed your urine all over his face, you will smile, and then go on with your day.

Do you share a shower? If so, urinate in his face wash. Next time you think about how mad he makes you, you will remember that he has rubbed your urine all over his face, you will smile, and then go on with your day.

we both have our own bathrooms. After reading that condescending email, any red blooded man would have shot back an email like i did. ugghhh, should've controlled my temper

Classic case of - be careful what you put in writing.

It's a good lesson to learn early and you'll probably survive this one.

Yes, stop acting like children and speak to eachother like adults. You're medical students and you can't act like this when your patients or your colleagues do stuff that you don't like. Grow up and figure out some sort of compromise. You shouldn't need an RA (who is probably only a year older than you guys anyway) to mediate this.

Yes, stop acting like children and speak to eachother like adults. You're medical students and you can't act like this when your patients or your colleagues do stuff that you don't like. Grow up and figure out some sort of compromise. You shouldn't need an RA (who is probably only a year older than you guys anyway) to mediate this.

We haven't spoken with each other in like 8 months. Way back when the conflict start, I sent him an email asking him to patch things up. But I got really condescending email back so I just said hell with this...I'm done trying. It had been working fine until two days when he damaged my property, and I got upset and showed that by banging the dishwasher door.

Will all of this be taken into account??? the email was extremely instigatory. he was alright last year. I could get along with him and I would say we were friends. But M2 year changed him and it certainly changed me too. I have gotten more short tempered.

Shrugs

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really have trouble imagining that the school will care that much that you and your roommate called each other nasty names on your own time. My guess is that their main concerns will be a) that your conflict won't spill over into your academic lives, b) that you aren't driving other students nuts, and c) that you arent' damaging any property. That said, my school doesn't offer on-campus housing so I have no idea.

In seriousness, though, it sounds like you should get this mediated. Part of being a functional grown-up is realizing that it isn't about who should have to apologize so much as finding some sort of truce so you can move on.

we both have our own bathrooms. After reading that condescending email, any red blooded man would have shot back an email like i did. ugghhh, should've controlled my temper

:laugh: nah bro.... red blooded would've been face-to-face not hiding behind a computer screen. That's the problem since day 1. Instead of sitting down and talking it out like men, you shoot out emails back and forth. Next time have a sit-down and hash it out. No emails or texts.

:laugh: nah bro.... red blooded would've been face-to-face not hiding behind a computer screen. That's the problem since day 1. Instead of sitting down and talking it out like men, you shoot back emails back and forth. Next time have a sit-down and hash it out. No emails or texts.

Lol...thats true or just would've let it go. I should've let it go. Got boards coming up. Now this distraction

Wait so you guys are roommates and you settle disputes through E-MAIL?

There's so much wrong with this thread I don't even know where to begin

1-Like the poster above me stated, who fights with their roommate over email? I used to IM my college roommate as a joke.

2-Why is this in allopathic? And are you in college or do you go to a med school where the students live in dorms and need to be babysat by an RA?

3-Who punches dishwashers when they're angry? You should've have gone for the nearest fire extinguisher.

He probably goes to SUNY Upstate or Ros Franklin

Big on professionalism and they have dorms for med students

You both sound like douches but you're probably fine as long as this doesn't happen again.

And work on anger management/stop taking the bait.

Exactly.

L2BAsian.

I think I'll be fine. Its part of human nature to get frustrated. Every action has its consequences and I must face the consequences of this whatever they may be. I'm not too worried about it. I just feel really ****ty for letting my school down by not adhering to its principles :(.

Hopefully, I've learned from now on that when i get angry, get the eff away from the computer...lol

Last edited:
I think I'll be fine. Its part of human nature to get frustrated. Every action has its consequences and I must face the consequences of this whatever they may be. I'm not too worried about it. I just feel really ****ty for letting my school down by not adhering to its principles :(.

Hopefully, I've learned from now on that when i get angry, get the eff away from the computer...lol

I think you're missing the bigger message here champ

Just move out.. It's not worth the stress. If you are living with somebody that is incompatible or anti-social then you need to find a place where you can rest/study/live in peace otherwise it's going to be a downhill spiral that can end very, very badly.

Ugh. This is the dumbest ****ing thread I've read in internet history.

Ugh. This is the dumbest ****ing thread I've read in internet history.

Agreed. I was just looking for reassurance when I posted this. Time to put an end to this ****.

People are just in disbelief at the whole scenario....since it seems like something college kids deal with. And the whole e-mail thing too. If you guys e-mailed each other when you weren't in the same building, that's one thing. But, during the year, you HAD to talk to each other several times at some point...right? How can you live with someone for an entire year without uttering one verbal word to each other?

So, you did what biatchy middle school girls do to each other- you whined, then argued, got mad, and then broke stuff.

Are you seriously in medical school? Man, I'm in high school and we don't do that to each other. xD

There will always be people bigger/more important than you. And it's not a given that you'll like them either. So, if you can only take away one thing, let it be this:

Don't be petty, especially to those equal or higher up on the food chain than you.

So, you did what biatchy middle school girls do to each other- you whined, then argued, got mad, and then broke stuff.

Are you seriously in medical school? Man, I'm in high school and we don't do that to each other. xD

There will always be people bigger/more important than you. And it's not a given that you'll like them either. So, if you can only take away one thing, let it be this:

Don't be petty, especially to those equal or higher up on the food chain than you.

Alright this is my last post on this thread. It was a bad idea to start this thread anyways. I did not expect the **** storm that came through.

Like i said I just didn't want to deal with this. Second year is extremely stressful as it is. Every one turns into antisocial workaholics and tempers flare and **** happens.

And, its not like we're ******ed. I personally have all honors this year. Its just easier not to deal with this especially when you absolutely detest the person.

Also to protect myself legally, none of the views on this thread reflect the views of the school that I am associated with or any of its affiliates. These views and opinions are solely mine and certain aspects of the story may have been altered to protect my confidentiality and of others that may have been involved.

Last edited:
Alright this is my last post on this thread. It was a bad idea to start this thread anyways. I did not expect the **** storm that came through.

Like i said I just didn't want to deal with this. Second year is extremely stressful as it is. Every one turns into antisocial workaholics and tempers flare and **** happens.

And, its not like we're ******ed. I personally have all honors this year. Its just easier not to deal with this especially when you absolutely detest the person.

I know this is your last post...but I have a bad feeling that you might not grow/learn from this, and assume that it's somehow a GOOD thing. Everyone knows adults don't get angry like this, bang things, and every adult(especially doctors) communicate with others.

But...now you know that some roommates aren't always cool. It still seems sucky that you were forced to live with someone you detest. It's too late to think of the "What ifs? now". Living in a single could be a better choice. At least in rotations, you wont be home all that often :eek:

ditto :(

it looked entertaining, anyway

OP was looking for a lotta people to support his stupidity and social ******edness, and he didn't get it. Now he's trying to be an adult about it but obviously has no idea what he did wrong, so thinks that quoting dragnet (the names and faces have been changed to protect the innocent...) and saying something about professionality is what fixes it.

Don't think he'll realize that he could've changed roommates when he didn't get along with his, or that adults shouldn't be throwing temper tantrums. or that if you have a problem with someone, yelling at them in an e-mail instead of talking in person is the wrong way to deal with an interpersonal conflict.

I mean really? An RA had to get involved?! I haven't heard of something like that happening since I was a freshman in college.

OP was looking for a lotta people to support his stupidity and social ******edness, and he didn't get it. Now he's trying to be an adult about it but obviously has no idea what he did wrong, so thinks that quoting dragnet (the names and faces have been changed to protect the innocent...) and saying something about professionality is what fixes it.

Don't think he'll realize that he could've changed roommates when he didn't get along with his, or that adults shouldn't be throwing temper tantrums. or that if you have a problem with someone, yelling at them in an e-mail instead of talking in person is the wrong way to deal with an interpersonal conflict.

I mean really? An RA had to get involved?! I haven't heard of something like that happening since I was a freshman in college.

I know what I did wrong and I repeatedly said I shouldn't have lost my temper. And I believe I also said that I tried to patch thing up when the conflict began. The thread was about whether or not I will get into deep trouble after I sent my roommate a very crass email after he sent me a condescending email about replacing my damaged property. And, I obviously said it was mistake to start this thread in the first place, obviously, nobody here has dealt with the roommate from hell that I am dealing with right now. And, after a certain age, lets say 25, nobody should be living with roommates...thats the lesson that I have learned

I know what I did wrong and I repeatedly said I shouldn't have lost my temper. And I believe I also said that I tried to patch thing up when the conflict began. The thread was about whether or not I will get into deep trouble after I sent my roommate a very crass email after he sent me a condescending email about replacing my damaged property. And, I obviously said it was mistake to start this thread in the first place, obviously, nobody here has dealt with the roommate from hell that I am dealing with right now. And, after a certain age, lets say 25, nobody should be living with roommates...thats the lesson that I have learned

It's cute that you think you're the only person who has ever had a terrible roommate before.

I had a crappy roommate in undergrad. Guy was a big baby. Tried to patch things up but he's got mental issues. I didn't see him for weeks at time. He hid in his room.

But you won't get in trouble over an email. Why would you? He said bad things too. Just move out. Not sure why you didn't do that months ago. Time to grow up and be an adult. You won't like everyone you deal with so just don't deal with them. It really is that simple.

You've obviously never lived in CA:D. There's no substitute for inter-personal amiability and respect in shared living situations (jerks notwithstanding). Roommates are a hit-and-miss proposition but there is no excuse for letting a confirmed buffoon's imbecility rub off on you, or undo any sense of decorum you should otherwise maintain. The problem is that in your FB/Twitter/Text message driven generation, facie a facie interactions have been replaced by cyberpersonal exchanges that do little to advance mature, adult, and substantive relations. BTW being an honor student is inconsequential, and it would have served you better not to mention it - book-smarts and people-smarts are not related...that is why some of the smartest doctors have traditionally gotten the bad rap for being narcissistic jerks with a God-complex! Anyway, you seem genuinely contrite, and this may have been the hiccup you needed to attend to your personal flaws - we all have them, and you now have an opportunity to turn this incident into a plus for your future interactions - no matter the difficulty, or the profundity of the jerks therein.

Also to protect myself legally, none of the views on this thread reflect the views of the school that I am associated with or any of its affiliates. These views and opinions are solely mine and certain aspects of the story may have been altered to protect my confidentiality and of others that may have been involved.

Now he's trying to be an adult about it but obviously has no idea what he did wrong, so thinks that quoting dragnet (the names and faces have been changed to protect the innocent...) and saying something about professionality is what fixes it.

obviously, nobody here has dealt with the roommate from hell that I am dealing with right now. And, after a certain age, lets say 25, nobody should be living with roommates...thats the lesson that I have learned

It's cute that you think you're the only person who has ever had a terrible roommate before.

lol :thumbup:

Dr. router1: Mr. McFat Muffin, your HgA1c is back.
Patient McFat Muffin: Oh great! I've been working really hard on my diet. Did I do well?
Dr. router1: It's up from 9 to 10.1. You ... lied to me ...
Patient McFat Muffin: I didn't! I swear!
Dr. router1: YOU PROMISED ME YOU'D CUT BACK ON THE SWEETS YOU FAT, LAZY SACK OF EXPLETIVES!!
Patient McFat Muffin: I have! Maybe the results are a mistake?!?!?
Dr. router1: MAYBE YOUR IMMINENT DEATH WILL BE A MISTAKE TOO /draws up 100 units of insulin
Patient McFat Muffin: N o o o o o o o o o o ....

FIN.

I was actually warned by a lot of people when I decided to live with this guy.
songht1.jpg
1.jpg
song2.jpg
song12.jpg
song14.jpg

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Patient McFat Muffin: Oh great! I've been working really hard on my diet. Did I do well?
Dr. router1: YOU PROMISED ME YOU'D CUT BACK ON THE SWEETS YOU FAT, LAZY SACK OF EXPLETIVES!!
Dr. router1: MAYBE YOUR IMMINENT DEATH WILL BE A MISTAKE TOO /draws up 100 units of insulin

FIN.

You forgot the part where he bangs the examining table to express frustration :p

Based on the replies I'd really like to know what the OP was.

FIN.

Where's your non-maleficence! :scared: