Got into a medical school I don't want to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebigpotato77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm an oriental male- 4.0/28MCAT (11/9/8) with published research and plenty of leadership and extracurriculars.
I know I shouldn't be picky, but I've been admitted to a low tier US MD school that I found repulsive at my interview. Would it be wise to do a 1-year SMP, retake the new MCAT, and apply to better schools in hope for an acceptance? My practice scores were 34's and I took the MCAT with barely any sleep.

This medical school has poor residency connections and horrible training facilities. I don't know if I should risk being a poor physician, or risk not getting into medical school in general (with a potentially low MCAT 2015 score... )

Members don't see this ad.

If you refuse an acceptance other schools will see and won't accept you in the future! That's why we say if you don't want to go to a school don't apply

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fail at trolling, A for effort.

Don't apply to medical schools you have no intention of going to. Now that you've been accepted, take it or leave it, where leave it = near-zero chance of getting an acceptance after re-applying.

What did you find repulsive about the school at the interview?

I'm not even trolling. The school has had enormous budget cuts and the professors are leaving left and right. Its teaching hospital is near close to being shut down. I didn't want to be rude, but I got the acceptance the Monday after my wednesday interview. I know I should have withdrawn earlier, but it was just poor timing on my part

I, too (for my curiosity), would like to know which school you are talking about. At least the state.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not even trolling. The school has had enormous budget cuts and the professors are leaving left and right. Its teaching hospital is near close to being shut down. I didn't want to be rude, but I got the acceptance the Monday after my wednesday interview. I know I should have withdrawn earlier, but it was just poor timing on my part

heh. yeah, you need to name the school.... the region?

/you have two posts and are already accepted. why would you care? There are enough people floating around here who know a lot about various schools and could give you specifics about why you should/shouldn't worry.

Your gonna have to just suck it up unless you don't want to be a physician. Besides I can't think of one US MD school as you describe.

Your gonna have to just suck it up unless you don't want to be a physician. Besides I can't think of one US MD school as you describe.

I actually have a hunch, but if I'm right, I think the OP is exaggerating the problems of an otherwise excellent school.

I don't want to name the school, but I'm in the deep south.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you will retake the MCAT and apply again which will cost more money. You will also lose one year of physician salary (assume 200k) because you will join the workforce one year later by reapplying. :rolleyes:

Take the acceptance and run with it. A US MD school is all you need.

So, you will retake the MCAT and apply again which will cost more money. You will also lose one year of physician salary (assume 200k) because you will join the workforce one year later by reapplying. :rolleyes:

And have to carry the stigma of having turned down a US MD acceptance. Career suicide.

And have to carry the stigma of having turned down a US MD acceptance. Career suicide.

Yep.

Isn't Asian used more common than "oriental?"
You could have voided the MCAT at the end if you were too sleepy and/or didn't feel confident.

Reactions: 6 users
Turning down an acceptance to apply again is viewed VERY BADLY by adcoms.

I actually have a hunch, but if I'm right, I think the OP is exaggerating the problems of an otherwise excellent school.

I think this sounds like every medical school in the South. It describes the one at my university as well.

Yep.

Isn't Asian used more common than "oriental?"
You could have voided the MCAT at the end if you were too sleepy and/or didn't feel confident.

Yes, it is. In fact, many people will take offense at the term "oriental". It is an antiquated term that's now used to describe objects instead of people.

Reactions: 10 users
Have you had (or do you have set up) any other interviews? You may yet get into a school you prefer more. If not, I'm afraid that it's in your best interests to take the offer. If it's your only acceptance at the end of your cycle, it's either that or a significantly lower chance of becoming a doctor ever. Don't make a decision you'll regret for the rest of your life off of a 1-day first impression. Perfectly reasonable to decide between two schools based on that impression, but it's a totally different matter to decide on no school at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard Albert Einstein had money issues last year and sold out? That's the only school I can even think of at this moment.

I take no offense to the term "oriental." Asian is so broad, I was just trying to isolate myself from the indian-subcontinent/Nepal/etc.

I'll do some more research, but I haven't been hearing good things about this school. From the advice here it looks like re-applying with an acceptance is just a death sentence.

I'll do some more research, but I haven't been hearing good things about this school. From the advice here it looks like re-applying with an acceptance is just a death sentence.

It certainly is a death sentence. You should have withdrawn immediately after interview when you saw you hated it. Sorry.

I take no offense to the term "oriental." Asian is so broad, I was just trying to isolate myself from the indian-subcontinent/Nepal/etc.
So do you mean East Asian or Southeast Asian to describe yourself? Oriental is a term more often used in the UK. I hardly ever hear it in the US. Except maybe from the older generation. (I'm Vietnamese, but I don't take offense to the term either. It's just not heard often in America.)

Is the school really that bad? Personally I'd be grateful for any acceptance regardless of tier, but maybe you guys can enlighten me on the nuances of this matter because as far as I'm concerned, I have this mindset that there's no such thing as a "bad US med school." Bad locations maybe, but the schools themselves can't be that awful, right...?

Last edited:
With that MCAT score...I'd speculate Howard. And even then, be grateful you got accepted to an MD school. You're going to be a Doctor, what are you whining about again?

Hey guys,
I'm an oriental male- 4.0/28MCAT (11/9/8) with published research and plenty of leadership and extracurriculars.
I know I shouldn't be picky, but I've been admitted to a low tier US MD school that I found repulsive at my interview. Would it be wise to do a 1-year SMP, retake the new MCAT, and apply to better schools in hope for an acceptance? My practice scores were 34's and I took the MCAT with barely any sleep.

This medical school has poor residency connections and horrible training facilities. I don't know if I should risk being a poor physician, or risk not getting into medical school in general (with a potentially low MCAT 2015 score... )

Well the one person I know who turned down an acceptance to do an SMP is now in the Caribbean. Their stats were in par with yours (but higher mcat). So, unless this school is worse than going to the Caribbean, I suggest you stick with it.

Reactions: 7 users
Your MCAT is low for MD. Your GPA can't go much higher, thus an SMP designed to improve your GPA is useless. Realistically, your app can't improve much without a retake of the MCAT. Might as well suck it up and make the best of your situation.

Btw, unless you matriculate to a school, no one will know you were previously accepted. You will, however, have to disclose that you previously applied.

Your MCAT is low for MD. Your GPA can't go much higher, thus an SMP designed to improve your GPA is useless. Realistically, your app can't improve much without a retake of the MCAT. Might as well suck it up and make the best of your situation.

Btw, unless you matriculate to a school, no one will know you were previously accepted. You will, however, have to disclose that you previously applied.

Technically, you'll only have to disclose you previously applied to the schools you're reapplying to. For instance, during cycle 2014-15, you applied to EVMS but not to USF, if you reapply during cycle 2015-16, you'll only need to tell EVMS you reapplied, which they'll already know. USF won't know you are a reapplicant.

As far as disclosing previous acceptances, I'm not too knowledgable about that.

:bang:Life is not fair; 28 MCAT and get a MD acceptance while I cant even get an interview with a 30. Am I the only one who feel overlyjealous if OP's story is true?

:bang:Life is not fair; 28 MCAT and get a MD acceptance while I cant even get an interview with a 30. Am I the only one who feel overlyjealous if OP's story is true?
I have a 36 and multiple interviews but no acceptance yet. OP's initial decision to reapply definitely irked me. There's no room for that kind of arrogance in medical school or during this difficult process.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you have any other interviews coming up?

If not, I would stop whining and just suck it up.

Hey guys,

YES you are being extremely picky. Count your blessings. You will be a fool to give up your spot! You got into a U.S Allopathic program with a below average MCAT score AND after being an asian male ( won't go into it, but you get how competitive it is).

Risk being a poor physician? Really? What does that even mean? And based on what?
You will be a good physician if you are genuine person who cares about people and if you have a desire for lifelong learning. Suck up your pride and just go and become the physician you want to be.

Reactions: 5 users
Risk being a poor physician? Really? What does that even mean? And based on what?
Poor Physician: a physician who doesn't make enough benjamins to act like Kanye on a daily basis and let money fly out of the small opening of his car window to say "F### da POLICE", but enough to maintain a home, family, several wise investments, and enjoy stability.

If it was so repulsive, why didn't you withdraw yourself from further consideration before you got an acceptance?

So just to confirm: Withdrawing post-interview, pre-decision, will not be seen by any adcoms if one were to reapply to different schools? I understand that bridges would be burned at the school that was withdrawn from. But if you interview then decide it's not for you and withdraw.. all is well for reapplying elsewhere?

Thanks.

So just to confirm: Withdrawing post-interview, pre-decision, will not be seen by any adcoms if one were to reapply to different schools? I understand that bridges would be burned at the school that was withdrawn from. But if you interview then decide it's not for you and withdraw.. all is well for reapplying elsewhere?

Thanks.

From the adcom comments I've seen in cases like this, post-interview pre-interview withdrawals are going to be OK. Getting accepted and seeing if you can do better is what is really looked down upon.

1) So just to confirm: Withdrawing post-interview, pre-decision, will not be seen by any adcoms if one were to reapply to different schools?
2) I understand that bridges would be burned at the school that was withdrawn from. But if you interview then decide it's not for you and withdraw.. all is well for reapplying elsewhere?

Thanks.
1) Correct.
2) Yes. I think Lucca meant to say either "post-interview pre-acceptance withdrawals are going to be OK." Or, "post-interview and pre-interview withdrawals are going to be OK."

Last edited:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

stop complaining and take your acceptance because >50% of people who apply to medical school would be thrilled to be in your position

The national database of accepted students will show his acceptance.
We run our list against this database.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Albert Einstein had money issues last year and sold out? That's the only school I can even think of at this moment.

NYMC got sold to Tauro a few years back... Other than the fact that students couldn't print from the library on the Sabbath, it didn't really affect much. (does NYMC even have a primary teaching affiliate?)

Wayne State had a massive panic about 7 years ago because of a dispute with the DMC that resulted in some residencies temporarily shutting down. The situation fixed itself.

Drexel is always in a permanent state of clusterf-ck with their primary hospital, which is now owned by a Texas-based for-profit group.

Tertiary care hospitals that primarily serve Medicaid patients (Temple/UIC) are always in a financial panic, but none of the schools are going anywhere.

Hell, schools like Rosalind Franklin and Commonwealth don't really have primary academic teaching hospitals.

With the exception of Commonwealth (I'm too old), I know recent graduates of every one of those programs. All are physicians who I'd be more than happy to work alongside.

So, OP. C'mon. NAME THE SCHOOL!

Reactions: 3 users
I've learned my lesson. There's no arrogance in my post, I've just heard complaints from students about how poorly the STEP tests were taught and I didn't want to risk matching into a poor residency and becoming a poor physician in return. I've got other interviews, so hopefully I'll get some good news soon...

So do you mean East Asian or Southeast Asian to describe yourself? Oriental is a term more often used in the UK. I hardly ever hear it in the US. Except maybe from the older generation. (I'm Vietnamese, but I don't take offense to the term either. It's just not heard often in America.)

Is the school really that bad? Personally I'd be grateful for any acceptance regardless of tier, but maybe you guys can enlighten me on the nuances of this matter because as far as I'm concerned, I have this mindset that there's no such thing as a "bad US med school." Bad locations maybe, but the schools themselves can't be that awful, right...?

I'm actually from the UK, and I'm also Vietnamese :)

My fear is becoming an inadequate physician, as I know a large portion of physicians coming from this institution that are, frankly put, horrible at what they do. I just didn't want to risk that after all of my hard work

200k in primary care? Hilarious :p

After graduating from med school I concluded that people graduate knowing a bunch of stuff, but they don’t know anything yet. The "real” training doesn’t begin until residency and then continues the rest of your career. Whether or not you’ll be “a poor or inadequate physician” will be more due to your personal attributes and learning post med school, and less about where you earned an MD from. In addition your residency possibilities are based more on your med school performance and less upon where you graduate MD school from. You have an acceptance from a US allopathic med school in hand. You should go unless you get an acceptance from a school you would be more willing to attend. If you don’t go, enjoy your continued career in research.

As for the school, one of the previous posters has listed it.
None of the schools listed seem "bad." Thousands of people would love to get in the school you view so lowly. Either way, US MD is US MD. I'm not sure what you are worried about. If the school wasn't good enough to produce good doctors then it would not be running.