Got into a medical school I don't want to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First world problems.....

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Google img map of deep south. I was surprised by what was included.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, you should go if that's your only offer and you truly want to be a physician. "Truly" implies that you can maintain some semblance of happiness and pleasantries while being there and experiencing brutalities of a medical education.

Med school quality can indeed be variable, but all students should realize at the end of the day that you are your own worst enemy. This is not like the Matrix where Harvard has a better machine for inserting jiu-jitsu into your brain than Columbia. All med students are learning the same thing, and level of retention is more reflective of student quality rather than school/teacher quality.

In addition, residencies care a lot less about your med school, and far more about your Step scores and 3rd year clerkship grades. If you study correctly(e.g. med school curriculum, First Aid for step1, qbanks, etc) during your 1st and 2nd years of med school then you should have a competitive Step 1 score to reflect that.

/2cents

Reactions: 1 users
My fear is becoming an inadequate physician, as I know a large portion of physicians coming from this institution that are, frankly put, horrible at what they do. I just didn't want to risk that after all of my hard work

I'm assuming that you have vast experience with judging the quality of those physicians from your years of working alongside them as a physician at that institution

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't the worst US MD school better than the top DO program? If it's the location of the school that's bothering you, just suck it up, it's only 4 years. And a 28 MCAT hasn't earned the right to be choosy, sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
OK. I have a fair amount of people from the south. I love the south. Not living there right now; but I have a lot of love for it.

For God's sake. If this is real, just work hard, do you best, work through it. Much of didactic learning, at least IMHO, is self-teaching. Prof's highlight and emphasize. They aren't going to read through books with you or search databases for helpful information. You gain the most from them in labs and clinical in my experience--and by genuine, intelligent inquiry.

If you don't want your seat, can I have it. :D

Isn't the worst US MD school better than the top DO program? If it's the location of the school that's bothering you, just suck it up, it's only 4 years. And a 28 MCAT hasn't earned the right to be choosy, sorry.

Curious. Why would you say that? "It's not the suit, it's the person in the suit," as they say. Don't know what your basis for that comment is.

Michigan State has a great DO school that a friend picked over Rosalind Franklin. His Step 1 score ended up very high and has interviewed at a lot of great places for Gen Surgery. It didn't seem to hurt him and he saved money going there.

Depends on what you mean by "better". Some of the upper tier DO schools beat out low tier/mission based MD schools in stats at least.

Michigan State has a great DO school that a friend picked over Rosalind Franklin. His Step 1 score ended up very high and has interviewed at a lot of great places for Gen Surgery. It didn't seem to hurt him and he saved money going there.

So is Shams Al being sarcastic; b/c he didn't :rolleyes: when he wrote that. ;)

The national database of accepted students will show his acceptance.
We run our list against this database.
Does this also include DO schools or just MD? i.e. can adcoms from MD schools see that a student has been accepted to a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm an oriental male- 4.0/28MCAT (11/9/8) with published research and plenty of leadership and extracurriculars.
I know I shouldn't be picky, but I've been admitted to a low tier US MD school that I found repulsive at my interview. Would it be wise to do a 1-year SMP, retake the new MCAT, and apply to better schools in hope for an acceptance? My practice scores were 34's and I took the MCAT with barely any sleep.

This medical school has poor residency connections and horrible training facilities. I don't know if I should risk being a poor physician, or risk not getting into medical school in general (with a potentially low MCAT 2015 score... )
Who uses the term "oriental" in this day and age? That word hath left the vernacular a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure "top tier" medical schools don't want someone with an attitude that includes such harsh judgment of an American allopathic medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, you should be happy with your acceptance--I don't see the issue here. The only reason I could see the need to take your concerns seriously would be if you are interested in research experiences.

Good luck.

Who uses the term "oriental" in this day and age? That word hath left the vernacular a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure "top tier" medical schools don't want someone with an attitude that includes such harsh judgment of an American allopathic medical school.

If you want to be a doctor, you should be happy with your acceptance--I don't see the issue here. The only reason I could see the need to take your concerns seriously would be if you are interested in research experiences.

Good luck.

Wouldn't he have figured that in prior to application?

Good luck.

OK. I admit it. I still say Oriental rugs. Should I say Asian rugs? My bad. :p

Does this also include DO schools or just MD? i.e. can adcoms from MD schools see that a student has been accepted to a DO school?
I haven't looked for this in the clearinghouse!
Acceptances to DO schools are not shared with MD schools on AMCAS multiple accepts, though.

My fear is becoming an inadequate physician, as I know a large portion of physicians coming from this institution that are, frankly put, horrible at what they do. I just didn't want to risk that after all of my hard work

Jesus Christ, dude. Grow up.

As I said earlier, I've personally known/worked with/trained under/supervised physicians from every school I listed (sans Commonwealth) and they're all fantastic. You need to get your head out of your rear and get some medical experience before you start making asinine statements such as that.

Seriously. If you want to have such an attitude, just name the school, and start naming some specific reasons for your whiney attitude. Otherwise, you're going to get flamed here, and for good reason.

You wanted honesty in the advice and you're getting it. Sorry if it's blunt. If you want reassurance, I can give that too, but you'd have to say which place since I (and other posters) know more about some than others... and in many cases in rather extensive detail.

Last edited:
If from your infinite knowledge,
poor funding, outdated technology, and mostly lacking residency connections can still make great physicians, I'll certainly take the money and run. My questions have been answered and I recently had a great interview at another school on your extensive list. Perhaps I'll have better luck there. Thanks for the honesty ;)

OP, I have the EXACT same scores as you. I'm Indian and I'm jumping with joy because of just one state school acceptance. You have no idea HOW LUCKY we are as asians to get in with MCAT scores so low. STOP WHINING AND BE THANKFUL!

Reactions: 3 users
Personally, I would just be grateful I got accepted to any medical school. You're going to be a doctor. Be happy. Lol.

After interviewing at schools that aren't ranked in US News to top 25 schools, I felt that they were all similar and I actually liked some schools that weren't ranked over schools that were ranked because of the amazingly friendly student body. Don't worry too much about the ranking of the school. Most patients won't even know where you did med school and even if they did, most wouldn't know if it was high ranked or low ranked. If you try hard enough, you can enter any medical field you want.

Hey guys,
I'm an oriental male- 4.0/28MCAT (11/9/8) with published research and plenty of leadership and extracurriculars.
I know I shouldn't be picky, but I've been admitted to a low tier US MD school that I found repulsive at my interview. Would it be wise to do a 1-year SMP, retake the new MCAT, and apply to better schools in hope for an acceptance? My practice scores were 34's and I took the MCAT with barely any sleep.

This medical school has poor residency connections and horrible training facilities. I don't know if I should risk being a poor physician, or risk not getting into medical school in general (with a potentially low MCAT 2015 score... )

Your MCAT is not very good. Beggars can't be choosers.

I know plenty of docs from the deep south. One from Mississippi is one of thebest docs I know.