Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Got my part 1 result in 9 days!

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by payitforward, 04.29.12.

1. Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi guys, I thought I'd share this to you... Took my part1 exam last April 11, 2012 and got my result on April 20, 2012. That's 9 days right after i took it!!!. Wheeww! Best four letter word ever---> PASS! Thank God I can finally sleep and move on! :):):)

Here's my input on the exam, Never underestimate it! I'm a FTD with a full time job as a dental assistant. It was hard for me to dedicate a whole day just to study because of my work. But I find time to do it. When a patient cancels or when I had a long break, I hit the books and study. Also, I spent most of my time at coffee shops... Starbucks, 24 hour Dunkin Donuts, Barnes and noble, etc... you name it, I was there! I probably have Caffeine on my bloodstream right now. :p

I studied mostly the Decks, a little bit of the First Aid, previous exams and a lot of videos on you tube. I used the kaplan Q-bank too..

You know what they say: STUDY IT BACKWARDS, FORWARDS AND INSIDE OUT. That's what you need to do! KNOW THE "WHY" NOT JUST THE "WHAT". They already know that you know the " WHAT". that's the easy part. They will ask you the "WHY".. The mechanism. They want to know if you really understand it.

In the end, it'll boil down to how much you really want this. PERSEVERANCE and PERSISTENCE will get you to where you want to be. GOODLUCK to everyone! and THANKS to the people who gave their inputs on the exam too! It was of great help to me and i appreciate you guys! :)
  2. PrinSaini

PrinSaini

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    wow.........congrats:thumbup:
  3. ilovet33th

ilovet33th

Hi! Congratulations on your exam!

I'm taking mine in a week end intensely nervous and scared. I have no idea what to expect since they have that new testing format with pass fail. I haves few questions for you that I hope that you don't mind answering.

1) what was the one thing that you were not expecting that was presented on the exam?

2) did you have any New format questions such as marching or multiple correct answers? or was it the same format as the released questions and old exams?

3) how helpful were old exams in preparing? Were there lots of repeats? I know you said that I should know it backwards and forwards but more specifically did you have to know lots of pathologies and biochemical pathways?

4) were there any diagrams of teeth or identification of that sort? If yes, were they clear to really see the fine details? Last I heard since the exam was changed to computer based they don't have images anymore.

5) how were the testlets (clinical based questions). Was it all outside knowledge or straightforward where you could just use the passage to get your answer?

6) what subject or material would you recommend looking at more while or after you took the test?
    was there enough time to go through the test and check your answers afterwards?

7) how did you feel after you took the test walking out? Were you sure that you passed or have mixed feelings about anything?

Thanks so much in advance for replying to this message. I really am so happy and jealous of your awesome dedication and you should be proud on how much you have accomplished! This reply I know would help not only me but so many other students as well.
  4. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi ilovet33th, thank you!

I was in your situation before and I was going through the same thing you're experiencing right now. So I feel your pain. Don't forget to pray and be patient. Everything will fall in place.

1) what was the one thing that you were not expecting that was presented on the exam?

- When I was reviewing for the exam, I was expecting the worse. Kaplan Q-bank will give you pretty difficult questions that will make you want to pull your hair out of frustration. I was setting myself up for it. So when I actually took the test, I found myself saying: "hey, this isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be".

2) did you have any New format questions such as marching or multiple correct answers? or was it the same format as the released questions and old exams?

-Surprisingly, it was the same format as the released and old exams. Now, in terms of multiple correct answers, they had high yield questions in which two choices seemed to be the correct answer.. that's when the "KNOW THE WHY, NOT JUST THE WHAT" came in. If you know the mechanism, you can do process of elimination to pick your answer. at least, that's what I did. but everybody is different.

3) how helpful were old exams in preparing? Were there lots of repeats? I know you said that I should know it backwards and forwards but more specifically did you have to know lots of pathologies and biochemical pathways?

-old exams are a must to study!!! don't just memorize the answer, know why its the correct answer and why the rest are wrong. there were a handful of questions that were a repeat. but not that much. for biochemical pathways, i watched youtube videos to help me remember and understand it better. for pathology, they didn't ask a lot of questions about it.

4) were there any diagrams of teeth or identification of that sort? If yes, were they clear to really see the fine details? Last I heard since the exam was changed to computer based they don't have images anymore.

-no diagrams of any teeth or tmj at all! dental anatomy was the easiest for me. a lot of questions on incisors. especially the marginal ridges. which one is shorter, which one is longer. a lot of questions on premolars. especially mandibular premolars. for the tmj, they asked about the ligaments. the meniscus, the vascular area. if you studied the decks and know it by heart, you should be good with this topic.

5) how were the testlets (clinical based questions). Was it all outside knowledge or straightforward where you could just use the passage to get your answer?

- the questions from the testlets were tricky. i had to read the given scenario again for every question. just to make sure. this is where they test you if you know how to apply what you have learned in a clinical setting. as much as I can recall, here are some of the cases I was asked about. TYPE 2 DIABETES PATIENT, ALZHEIMER'S PATIENT, PATIENT WITH HISTORY OF HIGH BP, MENOPAUSAL PATIENT, FORENSIC DENTISTRY...

6) what subject or material would you recommend looking at more while or after you took the test?
    was there enough time to go through the test and check your answers afterwards?
    7) how did you feel after you took the test walking out? Were you sure that you passed or have mixed feelings about anything?

-honestly, right after I took the exam, I was exhausted! i was mentally drained. I walked out of the testing center having mixed emotions... I wasn't 100% confident that I nailed it. I wish I studied the testlets questions more. As soon as I got home, I browsed through my notes to verify some stuff I wasn't sure of. I used google and wikipedia a lot too... and at one point, I told myself to just let it go. it's done and over with, there's nothing much I can do but to wait...

Goodluck on your test!!! Treat yourself a massage the day before the exam, watch a movie or something just to relax you and sleep early. Make sure to bring something to snack on on your break. And let me know how it goes after your exam. keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Hope this will be of help to you...
  5. sedation

sedation

SDN 5+ Year Member
    for how long did u prepare. Have u done with toefl.
  6. ilovet33th

ilovet33th

You are so awesome. Thanks so much for this post!
  7. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I prepared for it for almost a year. but I have to say, it wasn't until the last 3months that I really dedicated much time and effort for the test. Took the Toefl last friday. Toefl is nothing compared to the NBDE. There's a lot of youtube videos too that will give you strategies on how to manage your time wisely for the exam. Goodluck!
  8. bn15

bn15

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey..which material you used for toefl exam??...what helped you to do well in test??...I'm also taking test very soon..
  9. castudies

castudies

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    wow..9 days is surprising...very relieved to know that...congrats for ur result..u mentioned about test lets ...would like 2 know more about that..
  10. castudies

castudies

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    a
  11. 5111986

Dentist
    congratulations and thanks a lot for the valuable advice.
    is first aid essential for NBDE 1
    Last edited: 05.02.12
  12. Yengrad2005

Yengrad2005

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    congradulations and thanks for ur inputs on the new format of nbde exam..

i just want to ask u something.really u wanna study for atleast one year..??
  13. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

- I didn't study much for the Toefl. I just looked at tips and advices on youtube the morning of my exam. The essay/writing part was my favorite cause you can give your inputs and ideas on a certain topic. The reading part was the most boring part... :rolleyes:

know how to manage your time wisely when taking the exam.
  14. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

- I studied for almost a year because I had a full time job as well.. I didn't have the luxury of having 8 hours per day to dedicate it all for studying.. plus, there were times ( a lot of times) where I skipped studying for at least 2weeks. but I just had to discipline myself. I would have to say that 3 months is a good time to study if you have nothing else to do. make sure to strategically plan out your schedule too.
  15. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    - thank you! first aid is good during the last couple of weeks before your exam to review and freshen up your memory. but it's not sufficient enough to pass the boards. I would say that Decks is pretty good and do previous exams... lots of it! so you'll get the hang of answering questions..
  16. Molar90

Molar90

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hey congrats...i had a question about General Anatomy..from which book should it be done?..how were the kind of questions from anatomy?..Thanks
  17. Memo123

Memo123

Dentist
    congrats dr. on passing your exam
    I was so happy to know that kaplan tests are difficult comparing it to the real exam.
    can you please tell us your scores that you got on kaplan test
    I just did a pathology exam (kaplan test 50 questions) I scored 33 out of 50 which is equal to 66% .. is that enough to leave pathology just to review it for 2 weeks later on ...
    (This is my initial first study) ...
    Thanks alot !!!
  18. prosthopride

prosthopride

Dental Student
    Congratulations to all those who cleared
    I too got my result in 11 days.....
    And I would totally agree with the views shared in this thread....
  19. tootth12

tootth12

Dentist
    hey guys congrats
    my exam is within 1 month ....which resource do you think is most reliable to pass the test ?
    will really appreciate any feedback
  20. drdicty

drdicty

Dental Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Congratulations! :) Your story is encouraging to read. I finish taking 2nd year finals on June 8, and I'm taking NBDE I on June 19. I'm very, very nervous.

I read that you thought Kaplan QBank was pretty tough. I'm wondering if I should invest in Kaplan QBank that offers practice test questions for 1 month for $99? Do you think it's worth it? Is it so hard that I'll just get discouraged and it won't be productive, or is it hard enough that it will prepare me well for the exam? I ask because I don't have a year, or even months like you did... just a little over one month left. So far, I've been mainly using Dental Decks and Board Busters (I have First Aid but it has a lot of errors, so I haven't really been using it too much). I also have ASDA released exams that I haven't looked at yet because I don't feel ready to use them and I don't want to "waste" questions.

Thank you for any advice you might have! Congratulations again! Can't wait to be where you are. :)

PS-- 9 days is crazy!!

21. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi there! I say, go for it! It will prepare you well for the exam and discourage you as well when you get low scores from their mock exams :D. but it's better to train yourself harder than to settle for an easy reviewer. Nothing will prepare you better than those ASDA released exams. Study it numerous times and know how to strategically answer questions.

Goodluck on your test! Stay positive!
  22. drdicty

drdicty

Dental Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I know it has been forever b/c I have not logged in to SDN since I took NBDE I but I wanted to let you know that I ended up surviving and passing! I taught Kaplan DAT so it turned out I was able to get the QBank for free and offer discounts to my schoolmates for their boards (so let me know if you need one for NBDE II). You're right... best 4 letter word :) Thank you for your encouragement!
  23. khushi68

khushi68

Dentist
  24. payitforward

payitforward

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi there! Congratulations on passing your part 1! I'm glad that I was of help to you. =) Anyway, I'm reviewing for Part 2 now... Did you take it already? It's my turn to ask questions now... =p Discount on the Kplan Qbank would be of great help to me! I would really appreciate it if you hook me up!
  25. shrutiandy

shrutiandy

hi..i am a ftd..like u..your story was really encouraging ..can u suggest me how can i practice here as a dental assistant while preparing for nbde1..what all criteria they look for???can you help me with study materials and tips on preparation..thanks:)

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal