Got Tips to Prevent MCAT Burnout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j9260

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here & share the glory because we've pulled our hairs out at one point or another!
SO how do you kick a** without feeling like you're losing your grip?

Feel free to check out the old 2007 thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/tips-for-avoiding-burnout-w-studying.463481/

Members don't see this ad.

What helped for me, when I felt I was very burned out, was I took an entire day off. After that break, I downloaded a pomodoro app and this helped IMMENSELY with my efficiency. Before, I would find myself sometimes studying for 2 hours without a break to sometimes taking a 1 hour break by accident. The pomodoro method fixed my inconsistency.

The pomodoro method is basically ~30 min of studying followed by ~5 min of break time. This cycle repeats until you hit your 3rd or 4th pomodoro cycle. Now, you take a 15-30 min long break and then keep continuing the cycle. There's a bunch of studies made on it if you want to google it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't shut yourself off from the rest of the world. I could feel myself going crazy in May and June when all I was doing was summer classes and MCAT. I make myself get out and do something fun once a week.

Also for quick pick me ups: www.cuteoverload.com :)

Reactions: 1 user
I usually take a day off when I feel burnt out from weeklong studies... either Fridays or Sundays. Also it brings in a gui lt factor :ninja: the next day and I end up studying waaaay more than I usually do. So, works out great for me!

My 2 cents is to try different options of breaks and see which one works the best for you.
Good Luck!!! :hello:

I envision the fast cars, loose women, and ridiculous amounts of power that will invariably ensue a career in medicine...