Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Government Shutdown, Going Home

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by buffdoc, 04.07.11.

1. buffdoc

buffdoc Gimme some sugar, baby

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Half way through an ADT clerkship and was told in an email by the Directorate of Medical Education that my orders are being amended to go home tomorrow. I was told to make flight arrangements and that I'll be outprocessing tomorrow. :eek:
  2. Sgt Whizzo

Sgt Whizzo Male Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Shocking! And all this time I thought medical students would have been considered "essential".
  3. BrickHouseMD

BrickHouseMD

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow, so how will that affect your school with regards to credit for that month?
  4. buffdoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 7+ Year Member
    Excellent question. That was my primary concern. Somehow I was encouraged that things would work themselves out. But the downside is missing two weeks of an excellent rotation. Also, that was an audition rotation and I didn't have a chance to work with everyone or even interview.
    Last edited: 04.07.11
  5. haujun

haujun

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Interesting. Why is that soldiers are considered also non-essential, but we cannot outprocess:cool:
  6. csnitchl

csnitchl

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm leaving for ODS tomorrow and we got an email specifically saying we were required to carry out our original orders. Interesting what's considered essential and what isn't.
  7. haujun

haujun

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I hope your order did not get amended and finish out your ADT clerkship. The thing I do not understand is that if GOV is really interested in cutting the costs sending medical student early really go against this principle. Don't these medical students have to come back later and need another set of orders, plane tickets etc... If not they are getting a partial ADT experience. Eitherway we lose.
  8. buffdoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 7+ Year Member
    My orders did get amended and I did go home. Now they are working on a new set of orders to have me go back and finish the clerkship. Non-sensical, I agree. And very confusing for my family. But I am glad that I got to see them.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal