Gpa 3.3 mcat 41

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daiz42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I bother applying to MD with my low GPA? (adding insult to injury, it took me 6 years to complete my bachelors because I had to work full-time for 2 years)

Or should I just stick to DO?

Please don't call me a troll or whatever. I am not. I'm seriously strapped for cash and don't have much to spend on applications/travel/lodging costs for interviews, etc.

Thank you and good luck to everybody.

P.S. I will be applying next year.:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

there are many people who get in with a 3.3 and much lower mcat. you shouldn't have much of an issue provided you have research/EC's as well.

Should I bother applying to MD with my low GPA? (adding insult to injury, it took me 6 years to complete my bachelors because I had to work full-time for 2 years)

Please don't call me a troll or whatever. I am not. I'm seriously strapped for cash and don't have much to spend on applications/travel/lodging costs for interviews, etc.

If you have solid ECs (having to work is part of that--lots of schools ask specifically if you had to work during college) you should have a good shot at MD. Just apply broadly. If you're in a state with lots of in-state options your chances are even better.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are many people who get in with a 3.3 and much lower mcat. you shouldn't have much of an issue provided you have research/EC's as well.

I do have many hours of volunteering. Mostly church/charity-related though, if that counts at all...

My research portfolio is quite weak. I only have less than a year of working in a lab, and no publications. Plus my role in the research project was very minimal.

If you have solid ECs (having to work is part of that--lots of schools ask specifically if you had to work during college) you should have a good shot at MD. Just apply broadly. If you're in a state with lots of in-state options your chances are even better.

Really?? I had NO idea that working was a legitimate EC.........Mind you, it wasn't at all academic. I was working two jobs as a ZARA visual merchaniser and a bartender. I can't see how that could count as EC :/

Really?? I had NO idea that working was a legitimate EC.........Mind you, it wasn't at all academic. I was working two jobs as a ZARA visual merchaniser and a bartender. I can't see how that could count as EC :/

Schools care about the socioeconomic status of their applicants, and many of them explicitly ask if you worked during college and why. You can and should absolutely include them on your application.

Plus, working things like retail and bartending teach important skills about customer service and handling difficult situations. Doctors are service professionals. Maturity and resilience (not to mention the ability and willingness to do less desirable tasks in pursuit of a goal) are positives.

Schools care about the socioeconomic status of their applicants, and many of them explicitly ask if you worked during college and why. You can and should absolutely include them on your application.

Plus, working things like retail and bartending teach important skills about customer service and handling difficult situations. Doctors are service professionals. Maturity and resilience (not to mention the ability and willingness to do less desirable tasks in pursuit of a goal) are positives.

Never thought of it that way. Thank you so much, gives me a little more hope :thumbup:

Darnit, my chances pretty much plateau at MCAT 38 lol...........
well considering how the MCAT scoring works, the difference between a 38 and a 41 can only be a few questions. whereas the difference between a 28 and a 31 can be many many more questions. so after you hit a 36, there really isn't much difference between you and someone who scores a 37, 38, 39, yada yada.

well considering how the MCAT scoring works, the difference between a 38 and a 41 can only be a few questions. whereas the difference between a 28 and a 31 can be many many more questions. so after you hit a 36, there really isn't much difference between you and someone who scores a 37, 38, 39, yada yada.

Right. Difference between 38 and 41 is virtually meaningless.

The main thing is that the historical acceptance rate for your demographics is ~68%, which is great! Also, remember that statistics, while generally reassuring, have very minimal impact on the individual. If you have good ECs and can competently complete interviews, you have an even greater chance at admission!

Good luck man!

I think your best bet will be with your state MD school, any DO program (inlcuding mine) and maybe some of the newest MD programs, or the lowest bottom tiers, like SLU, MCW, or Rosy F.

I suggest that you call a few MD Admissions Deans and see if you're competetive.