GPA 3.45, sGPA 3.12 MCAT 22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBPR18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's my first post here but not a good one :( I just received my MCAT scores back yesterday and am not pleased at all. I went to a "New Ivy" undergrad which had really rigorous sciences and is highly ranked in the US- graduated with a Public Health degree cGPA 3.45, mGPA 3.72, and a sGPA 3.1 including retakes. My MCAT yesterday was a 22 (7/7/8) and it plain sucks... I took Kaplan's and beat that easily every practice test. I'm not sure what was wrong with test day, but I may have just been nervous about it all. I don't want to make excuses, just fix the problem.

My plan now is to take a year off and enter in Fall 2015 with a new MCAT retake date Spring 2014. I doubt a retake this cycle would get me the score I expect and then even if it did, I would just be way late in the process.

My question is, is it even worth applying to DO schools with this terrible MCAT?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Between the low MCAT and low GPAs, you don't have a good chance. I'd retake the MCAT if I were you. Since DO schools offer grade replacement, it may also be beneficial for you to retake your classes with grades lower than a C.

Nope, not worth applying witht hat MCAT. Yoru plan to wait is sound. Now fix that test problem, and good luck!

Hi everyone,

It's my first post here but not a good one :( I just received my MCAT scores back yesterday and am not pleased at all. I went to a "New Ivy" undergrad which had really rigorous sciences and is highly ranked in the US- graduated with a Public Health degree cGPA 3.45, mGPA 3.72, and a sGPA 3.1 including retakes. My MCAT yesterday was a 22 (7/7/8) and it plain sucks... I took Kaplan's and beat that easily every practice test. I'm not sure what was wrong with test day, but I may have just been nervous about it all. I don't want to make excuses, just fix the problem.

My plan now is to take a year off and enter in Fall 2015 with a new MCAT retake date Spring 2014. I doubt a retake this cycle would get me the score I expect and then even if it did, I would just be way late in the process.

My question is, is it even worth applying to DO schools with this terrible MCAT?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I guess I'll be lurking around here for a bit more :) Everyone here is pretty helpful, and contrary to what I've heard, not a bunch of pre-meds freaking out about everything! January MCAT here I come- now I don't have to compete with school and graduation anymore.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!

maybe try MUCOM, CUSOM, ACOM, WVSOM, LMU, VCOM's, KYCOM (if from appalachia), WCU and PCOM GA (if from south or southeast), pnwu (if you have ties to pacific NW) and touro-middletown. don't count on anything though.