MD GPA 3.67, 30 MCAT. Massachussetts Resident. Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikeJuice123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a senior at Tufts University and I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on my chances/helping me build my school list! I'm going to take a year off after I graduate and apply next cycle in spring 2015.
I have a major in Clinical Psychology and a minor in Child Development.

Here are some of my stats:

I'm Asian-American if that matters at all.

Grades/Classes:
-GPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.60 (Upward trend, Started with a 3.19 freshman year and have a 3.67 now. the science classes I got Bs in were from freshman or sophomore year)
-Bio: Intro to Bio: B-, APed out of 2nd semester. Taking genetics next semester and hoping to do decently.
-Chem: B+, A-
-O Chem: A-, A-
-Physics: A, A (took this during the summer at Tufts)

-recipient of a named scholarship

MCAT: 30 cumulative
-11 Bio
-9 Physical
-10 Verbal

Extra Curriculars:
-Intern at Tufts Medical Center Psychiatric Inpatient Floor (for this academic year) (Tons of patient contact and clinical experience and waing a part of rounds and patient interviews and more stuff) (~300 hours by the time I apply)
-Volunteer at Boston Medical Center Endoscopy Ward (I'm at ~55 hours, will probably be around 100+ hours by the time I'm applying)
-Undergraduate research assistant at a PTSD neuroimaging lab affiliated with Tufts for one summer
-Co-author of a laboratory poster presented at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting this year
-Ultimate Frisbee A team (4 years, captain and treasurer)
-Appearances at college Nationals twice in the past three years (5th place, 10th place)

Recs:
-Tufts Committee letter
-Tufts Frisbee Coach
-Tufts Clinical Psych Professor
-Tufts Medical Center Supervisor (Head Nurse)
-Boston Medical Center Supervisor (Head Nurse)

Agg sorry for this huge post. Anyway I don't really care about what school I go to/what reason. The only schools I have in mind so far are:
Umass (This is my first choice)
Tufts
BU

I think that all of these schools are probably reaches, so if you guys could recommend some safer schools for me that would be fabulous.

Thanks for your time,
ILikeJuice123

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad.

Look into:

Rosalind Franklin
Hofstra
Creighton
Jefferson
The Commonwealth Medical College
Medical College of Wiscosin
Rush
George Washington (they get a lot of applicants, but it may still be worth applying)
Albany
Temple
Tulane
Drexel
Tufts
Your favorite DO schools

UMass is a bit of a reach with a 30, but you might as well apply if it's your dream school and it's in-state. You are very competitive for Tufts, but keep in mind that Tufts Medical School is extremely expensive and some physicians on SDN say it's not worth getting into that much debt to go there.

http://medicine.tufts.edu/Student-S...ts/Cost-of-Attendance-MD-Program-2014-15-Grid

The estimated total cost of attendance, per year, is $82,440. You can probably buy an entire apartment complex in Detroit with $82,440.

Last edited:
Yeah I've actually also heard that about Tufts from one of my friends who goes to their medical school. Probably worth it to apply though. Thanks Doug!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools worth considering with your stats include Quinnipiac, Vermont, Hofstra, New York Medical, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Penn State, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Georgetown, GW, Wake Forest, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton, Tulane. You should have a decent chance for an interview at Tufts and BU as they have some instate preference. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. There may also be 2 or 3 new private medical schools opening up for 2016 so apply to those if possible. You should consider applying to DO schools as you would be competitive at most DO schools.

Thanks for the advice Faha! I'll definitely look into all of those schools.

Sorry to revive this dead post but I wanted some thoughts on my current situation. I've been lucky enough to get accepted to UNECOM for this upcoming year, but I actually really want to take more time off from medical school to fulfill some other aspects of my life before fully committing to medicine. Would it be an insane thing to decline this offer and reapply in a year? I would obviously do things to strengthen my application like retake my MCAT as well as pursue some other clinical and shadowing opportunities. For reference deferring is not an option and my decision has nothing to do with the school itself, I actually feel like it would be a good fit for me. I suppose re applying would give me another shot at some MD schools for a better shot at more competitive residencies, honestly I don't really care that much about DO/MD. Really I just think I would be happier in general if I took a few more years off (I'm 23 now and would be 25 when I theoretically matriculated when I reapplied).

I realize that it's a pretty big gamble... Any thoughts appreciated! For reference I need to send in my final depposit on MAY 31 if I want to matriculate this year.

Thanks!!!!

Sorry to revive this dead post but I wanted some thoughts on my current situation. I've been lucky enough to get accepted to UNECOM for this upcoming year, but I actually really want to take more time off from medical school to fulfill some other aspects of my life before fully committing to medicine. Would it be an insane thing to decline this offer and reapply in a year? I would obviously do things to strengthen my application like retake my MCAT as well as pursue some other clinical and shadowing opportunities. For reference deferring is not an option and my decision has nothing to do with the school itself, I actually feel like it would be a good fit for me. I suppose re applying would give me another shot at some MD schools for a better shot at more competitive residencies, honestly I don't really care that much about DO/MD. Really I just think I would be happier in general if I took a few more years off (I'm 23 now and would be 25 when I theoretically matriculated when I reapplied).

I realize that it's a pretty big gamble... Any thoughts appreciated! For reference I need to send in my final depposit on MAY 31 if I want to matriculate this year.

Thanks!!!!

Hi! You had good stats, did you happen to have any MD acceptances??

Thanks!!!!
I think it would be stupid. your stats are average, you'll have to retake the MCAT, and you most likely wouldn't be doing anything during those years that will help build your med school app

Plus, re applicants are automatically at a disadvantage

nah, I only had one interview to UMass and got rejected.

Stories like this scare me lol I have a 3.7/32, so pretty similar to you. I feel like it's a game of luck sometimes. Which is scary.

Stories like this scare me lol I have a 3.7/32, so pretty similar to you. I feel like it's a game of luck sometimes. Which is scary.
stop posting this everywhere. His experiences are not your own. Make your own "What are my chances?" thread and people will guide you accordingly.

stop posting this everywhere. His experiences are not your own. Make your own "What are my chances?" thread and people will guide you accordingly.

I'm expressing my own opinion. If you don't like what i'm posting feel free to move past it.

I'm expressing my own opinion. If you don't like what i'm posting feel free to move past it.
you're right, you have the right to compare yourself to other people and unnecessarily stress yourself out. Good luck.