GPA 3.7 DAT 20/21/20 - chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdiana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

I have DAT score
AA-20
PAT-21
CR-20

(the lowest scorew as 19 on ochem everything else was 20-21)

GPA is 3.7 - finsihed 2nd yr of college (I am graduating in 3yrs)
I used to have 3.92 last semester but I had huge drop in one semester due to family emergency - hopefully they don't take my GPA as it is...i had really rough one semester

I have a year of volunteering experience at Pedo department of VCU dental school (I go to VCU undergrade)
I have been working at dental lab since 10th grade in high school - so 4 yrs
I am leader of church bible study (united with local colleges)
active member of campus minister
volunteered for Girls Scouts every summer - as camp leader

Loves kids and my essay is pretty good
and I am sure my rec are average, at least

My top choices are
1st - U of maryland
2nd -VCU
3rd - probably one of IVY school (Columbia or UPenn)
4th- temple (or NYU)
5th - howard

Do you think I have shot?
I don't have a lot of money so I can't apply more than 5 schools

please please please chance me!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're a great applicant and should see at least one, probably two acceptances from that list. How are you only a second year and this far along with your applications?! Well done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another great student asking if they have a shot at getting into dental school... You're in, go to your state school to save some money, have fun being a dentist.

No chance. Score too low, go re-take the DAT. Possibly do a Masters or look into a Post-Bacc to make up for finishing undergrad in 3 years.

:confused:

I don't see why you're so worried. Relax! Your stats are excellent! There are many people out there who would kill to have stats like you. You worked hard to get to where you're at. You're bound to get into at least one of the schools you apply to. Multiple acceptances will just be icing on the cake. :)

How is your 3rd choice.... "Probably one of the IVY schools"?

It just sounds like you have not looked into it that much... So, its kind of weird to read a "am-I-good-enough" thread which are naturally filled with high-strung pre-dents.... Only to see it is a person who has under-researched their school options and, with the scores he/she has, shouldn't be worried in the first place.

Your GPA is fine at a 3.7 so no worries about that even if you simply maintain it there (and no I am not saying this because that was my GPA). Everything seems adequate or above average so honestly I just need to wish you some luck and leave it at that!

You school choices aren't too well thought out though -

Howard is a HBC so unless you are Black and/or really like something about Howard, I wouldn't really be applying there. Not trying to start some URM discussion here, but it is ill advised to be applying to a school where your disadvantaged when there are others out there where you won't be.

On a side note - Columbia isn't an ivy (strictly speaking not one of the original 8 etc.) They also have a preference for really high DAT scores so again apply here only if you have a burning desire to attend Columbia.

With your application, and indeed any application, I would apply to a minimum of 10 schools. It costs a couple hundred more to add schools, but it costs a couple thousand to re-apply not to mention the emotional toll of not getting in on your first attempt.