MD GPA: 3.7 MCAT: 29 Strong EC's School list help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lmesa008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What underrepresented group do you represent, specifically? If Hispanic, from what nationality do you hail?

Even with your ECs and URM status, some of these top programs may be out of reach with a 29.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! I'm Hispanic/Cuban-American. Any other research schools you think I should apply to?

I am also a FAP recipient so I don't mind applying to a few high reach schools

Thanks for the help! I'm Hispanic/Cuban-American. Any other research schools you think I should apply to?

Cuban-Americans are not generally considered to be underrepresented to the same extent as other Hispanics. Your numbers are actually slightly lower than the average Cuban-American matriculant. You should expect little benefit from your ethnicity.

The general advice is not to waste your FAP schools on a bunch of extreme reaches. Most of the OOS schools to which you applied won't even look at your application. They'll see your 29, collect your secondary fee, and place your application in the circular file.

You have a decent shot at Tufts, Georgetown, and all Florida schools. Apply to OOS schools which will actually accept a 29, meaning schools whose 10% on the MCAT is 29-3o or lower, where they'll actually look at your application closely enough to see your research.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking into alternative schools to add to my list.

Is there a big difference between URM groups? Thanks gyngyn
Big. URM is a misnomer. The target groups are under-represented in medicine. Many minority groups are not under-represented. The classification is not to help the applicant, it is to increase access for those taxpayers who are paying the the majority of the costs of medical education and receiving disproportionately little care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Well lol, can you briefly explain or point us to a resource that can explain? I feel like the general consensus if that if you're a URM of any sorts you get an advantage but that seems extremely off XD

Well lol, can you briefly explain or point us to a resource that can explain? I feel like the general consensus if that if you're a URM of any sorts you get an advantage but that seems extremely off XD
See above. Diversity of experience is good. Language skills are good. The imperative of medical schools however, is service.

Well lol, can you briefly explain or point us to a resource that can explain?

Admission statistics. The more "underrepresented" minorities often have largely deflated scores/GPAs when compared to whites/Asians. The gap gives a rough indication of how medical schools view underrepresentation for each minority.

The bottom line is that medical schools aren't interested in your skin color. They're interested in your life experiences and perspectives. Your ethnicity can heavily inform those experiences and perspectives, but simply "being black/Hispanic" isn't in itself an experience.