GPA:3.76 sGPA:3.73 MCAT:28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need serious help.

I'm reapplying need year.

GPA:3.76 sGPA:3.73

MCAT:9/9/10-28 (went up 2 points from a 26). Really odd since I was averaging 32 on MCAT practice

Have about a year of research
Another year of shadowing
Decent leadership E.C

Texas resident that was verified at TMDSAS schools back in June. No interviews yet.

I also applied to MANY (like 10) AMCAS schools (low tier) and submitted AMCAS. However, since money is an issue, I have not sent out secondaries yet and was waiting on my MCAT scores....

Members don't see this ad.

What MD programs did you apply to? Are you considering DO too, or are you set on MD?

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
University of Texas Houston Medical School Medical
Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine at Lubbock
University of North Texas Health Science Center- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)=THIS IS DO
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

AMCAS
Albany Medical College
Baylor College of Medicine
Howard University
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Medical College of Wisconsin
Stanford University School of Medicine-Uh......no.
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
University of California San Francisco --Lol
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin

Im pretty set on MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me add that primary+secondaries were sent out in June for TMDSAS.

Primary app was sent and verified for AMCAS but secondaries have not been completed yet.

Idk about others on this site, but I wouldn't really consider Baylor or Keck to be low tier schools. Especially since I've heard Keck (like all other Cali schools) strongly prefers California residents. Either way, I'd make sure your secondaries are ready to be submitted as soon as you get your MCAT scores as it's starting to get late in the cycle.

Woops. Yeah im not considering Baylor and Keck (along with UCSF and Stanford). Sorry about that. I guess ill apply to the other 6. Do I have a chance with that 28. I'm so tired of this damn test.

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
University of Texas Houston Medical School Medical
Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine at Lubbock
University of North Texas Health Science Center- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)=THIS IS DO
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

AMCAS
Albany Medical College
Baylor College of Medicine
Howard University
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Medical College of Wisconsin
Stanford University School of Medicine-Uh......no.
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
University of California San Francisco --Lol
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin

Im pretty set on MD.

CA schools are bitch to get an acceptance to, even for IS applicants. Howard is a HBC - not sure if you fit that demographic, if you do I'd add more HBCs. MCW, although private, has a fairly strong in-state bias. I can't comment on the others. I'd add Rosy Frank, NYMC, EVMS, and maybe Creighton (possibly a stretch, I don't know their average MCAT off hand). If you're really set on MD I'd start studying HARD for another MCAT re-take. Otherwise I'd suggest becoming more open to DO.

Your stats really aren't bad. Did you interview last year? If so, I would strongly suspect that working on that aspect of your app might yield more fruitful results.

I beleive a few TX schools will take a look at you, but Baylor will not be one of them, nor USC, nor Howard, which is a HBC. Nor will any of the SUNY system, unless you're a New Yorker. Public schools favor the home team, and with a well below avg MCAT (2x), you're not getting into an OOS public school.

Did you really apply to Stanford and UCSF? If so, they'll appreciate your donation.

Your best bet will probably be TCOM.

Thanks for the kind words Goro.

I won't be doing secondaries for any AMCAS schools aside from Albany and Virginia Commonwealth.

I just checked and MCAT for 2013 is over. That means its another year of waiting for me...Unless I'm open to DO. I'll look into Rosy Frank, NYMC, and Creighton.