GPA: 3.8, MCAT 33O, Cali Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snikkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted your opinion on something that's been eating away at me.
My stats are:
3.8c / 3.75s.. 33O Mcat.. California resident.

I feel, however, i'm lacking in ECs.
I've done 100 hours of hospital volunteering over a course of 4 months.
2 years vice president of medical club.
Orchestra for 1.5 years (horns).
2 years of Research with a professor.

I'm wondering now.. do you think I would have a shot applying NOW for this cycle, or would it be better if I waited to add to my ECs (which i'm already planning on doing) before I apply?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are great so I'd apply now. In terms of EC's, even though you don't have a lot, the ones that you do have are meaningful and show committment. The only thing I see missing on that list is physician shadowing which is something that you can do after you send in your apps (just in case they bring it up in an interview).

But yeah apply now you should have a decent chance especially at your IS schools.

Apply! You have some ECs, you will get interviews, talk about your passion during the interview and you should be accepted easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, just wanted your opinion on something that's been eating away at me.
My stats are:

I feel, however, i'm lacking in ECs.
2 years vice president of medical club.
Orchestra for 1.5 years (horns).
2 years of Research with a professor.

I'm wondering now.. do you think I would have a shot applying NOW for this cycle, or would it be better if I waited to add to my ECs (which i'm already planning on doing) before I apply?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Great GPA and MCAT. Your EC's aren't as bad as you think, but you seem to be weak in the most important area: clinical experience.

4 months of hospital volunteering is ok, but 1 year+ would be much better (even if that 1 year only added up to the same amount of hours)

How much shadowing?

Great GPA and MCAT. Your EC's aren't as bad as you think, but you seem to be weak in the most important area: clinical experience.

4 months of hospital volunteering is ok, but 1 year+ would be much better (even if that 1 year only added up to the same amount of hours)

How much shadowing?

I actually don't have any shadowing at the moment, but i'll be starting soon during my free time. Also, thanks for the replies.. I'll be applying later today after I get my PS re-checked. Hopefully i'll get a few interviews! Thank you all!

This is well below the average of 1.5 years. I suggest you continue to gain clinical experience for 3-4 hours per week through the application season and let schools know about it, and added shadowing hours, via update letters or during interview conversations.

This is well below the average of 1.5 years. I suggest you continue to gain clinical experience for 3-4 hours per week through the application season and let schools know about it, and added shadowing hours, via update letters or during interview conversations.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do this.. I hope my app verifies soon!

P.S.
Does anyone happen to have a list of schools that are "fits" for me? Much appreciated.

Last edited:
My stats are:

1) I'm wondering now.. do you think I would have a shot applying NOW for this cycle, or would it be better if I waited to add to my ECs (which i'm already planning on doing) before I apply?

2) Does anyone happen to have a list of schools that are "fits" for me? Much appreciated.
1) I do think you'd be better off waiting until the next cycle.

2) But you seem set on applying this season, so here are some OOS schools for you to check for "Fit" that have a matriculant average that are a good match for your stats, followed by safeties, and have a decent OOS acceptance rate (>15%) except where indicated:

Sinai, Duke, Case, Baylor, Mayo, SLU, NYU, Brown,
Emory, UCentral Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, BU, UMinn,
Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,
UKentucky, UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, FIU (13%), Virginia Tech (newer), Temple, Albany, GWU,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, Catalystik! I really appreciate it. I was originally planning on applying next year, but I didn't like the idea of waiting 2 years before starting school, especially if I had any chance of getting in this cycle. I will apply next year if I don't get in this cycle, though.

Hopefully by the time my app clears, it won't be so late that adcoms don't even consider me.. I guess time will tell. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again!

You'll have a good idea of when your verification will come through by checking the AMCAS Verification thread to see how long it's taking for others.

Even late applicants have a chance, but moreso if their stats are above average, like yours. You might minimize your turn-around time in returning the Secondaries by starting to write them from prompts you'll find in the School Specific forums.

Thank you for the help, Catalystik! I really appreciate it. I was originally planning on applying next year, but I didn't like the idea of waiting 2 years before starting school, especially if I had any chance of getting in this cycle. I will apply next year if I don't get in this cycle, though.

Hopefully by the time my app clears, it won't be so late that adcoms don't even consider me.. I guess time will tell. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again!
An additional note for Creighton is that they require physician shadowing, per their website. Other schools may require it but don't advertise it

http://medschool.creighton.edu/medicine/oma/app/req/index.php