GPA (3.94) MCAT (25) Good EC's and LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gopherhockeyfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Here is my question:

I have a 3.94 GPA at the University of Minnesota I am currently a senior in the chemistry program and I just got a 25 on the MCAT (11/6/8). I was getting (10-13/ 8-10/10-13) on practice exams I don't know what happened. I am from a very small town in rural Minnesota and I want to become a rural physician most likely primary care.

EC: EMT, Volunteer, Shadow, Internship at hospital, Worked in dietary at hospital, Organic Research in a Lab, And others.

What are my chances of getting into the UMD or UMNTC medical school?

Thanks for all the comments in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty Solid: I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMD is a 28 MCAT average though does that make any difference?

I'm 100% sure, I am from this state and it has been my dream school since age 16, I have done extensive research on the school. They have 2 Med schools Twin Cities average is 32 and Duluth average is a 28.

Found it: http://med.umn.edu/about-us/at-a-glance/index.htm

1,674 applicants
60 enrolled
Average GPA 3.70
Average MCAT 28.86

Well, if this is the case and we assume the lower 10th percentile is around a 24/25 AND it is not only minority students, I would say there's a possibility, but I think overall the cards are still against you. I would highly recommend a retake if you don't make it this cycle.

Thanks for the advice I am already studying for next summer retake I want to crush it, but even if I crush it this is the only school I want to go to, so I thought I would apply this year and see what happens. Because even if I get a score that could get me into a well known GREAT school this is the only school I want to go to as a matter of fact, (This is a GREAT school for rural medicine, which is what I want to do and what I am passionate about).

Thanks for the advice I am already studying for next summer retake I want to crush it, but even if I crush it this is the only school I want to go to, so I thought I would apply this year and see what happens. Because even if I get a score that could get me into a well known GREAT school this is the only school I want to go to as a matter of fact, (This is a GREAT school for rural medicine, which is what I want to do and what I am passionate about).
If this is the case, I would recommend you try to go to their previews and become in contact with the dean of the university. A person that's highly motivated toward one school may be given a second look over an applicant that simply turns in an application.

You mean you want to be a doctor is it's convenient?

STRONGLY suggest that you re-take the MCAT and apply in next years's app cycle.

You mean you want to be a doctor is it's convenient?

STRONGLY suggest that you re-take the MCAT and apply in next years's app cycle.

If it sounds like this is what I am implying, I am really disappointed. I most certainly don't want to be a doctor because it is convenient. I have many things that draw me to medicine and that is not one of them. I did not work my butt for 4 year in college getting the best grades that I can possibly get, because it was convenient. I have sacrificed many things for my dream, if I was not passionate about this I would have gave up a long time ago.

You strongly suggest that I retake the MCAT and I most defiantly will I have already started studying for summer of 2014 after I graduate. I guess what I am trying to get from people in this post is to see why it would hurt to apply this cycle? I have read many stories of people getting in with 25's. MCAT scores don't make a great doctor, they also don't predict if someone will pass their board exams. It is something that can be changed over a summer or as a matter of fact 5 hours (exam length). Something that cannot be changed is HEART and DETERMINATION and that is why I don't think it will hurt to apply. If I get an interview it wont matter what my MCAT score is, my GPA shows that I can work my butt off and learn. Why should someone get denied only for one low score?

Say I do get denied and don't get an interview it will make me that more determined to crush the MCAT the second time. After all it isn't about taking hits it's about how you respond to those hits, how much you can take and keep pushing forward. After all one of the most creative person to ever live, Walt Disney, was fired; because they said that he had not originality.

Last edited:
Hi SDN,

Here is my question:

I have a 3.94 GPA at the University of Minnesota I am currently a senior in the chemistry program and I just got a 25 on the MCAT (11/6/8). I was getting (10-13/ 8-10/10-13) on practice exams I don't know what happened. I am from a very small town in rural Minnesota and I want to become a rural physician most likely primary care.

EC: EMT, Volunteer, Shadow, Internship at hospital, Worked in dietary at hospital, Organic Research in a Lab, And others.

What are my chances of getting into the UMD or UMNTC medical school?

Thanks for all the comments in advance.

Retake the MCAT and ensure you score a 30+. Rest all looks fine.

Pretty Solid: I wouldn't worry to much about it.

You'd be right if you're talking about DO schools.

Focussing on a single school is an exceptionally weak strategy no matter what your scores are (or your other personal qualities). That is why everyone is giving you the caution sign. A suboptimal application to an inadequate number of schools puts you at risk of being a multiple re-applicant. This is best avoided.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focussing on a single school is an exceptionally weak strategy no matter what your scores are (or your other personal qualities). That is why everyone is giving you the caution sign. A suboptimal application to an inadequate number of schools puts you at risk of being a multiple re-applicant. This is best avoided.

Hey thanks for the great response!

Can you expand on this please and tell me why applying to one school hurts. I mean when they ask me what other schools I applied too? I can say I only applied here because this is the only place I want to go; Isn't this compelling and shows that I am an applicant unlike others who apply to your school because unlike other people this is the one place I genuinely want to go.

Why does this hurt me could you explain more. I accept your response and I am interested in learning more!

Thank you again for the response!

Hey thanks for the great response!

Can you expand on this please and tell me why applying to one school hurts. I mean when they ask me what other schools I applied too? I can say I only applied here because this is the only place I want to go; Isn't this compelling and shows that I am an applicant unlike others who apply to your school because unlike other people this is the one place I genuinely want to go.

Why does this hurt me could you explain more. I accept your response and I am interested in learning more!

Thank you again for the response!
Unfortunately, applying to only one school hints at naivete, arrogance or a lack of commitment to the profession. We are looking for people who are flexible and resilient, not fixated on one outcome.

The only situation in which this position is even remotely feasible is an EDP ap for which you are no longer eligible this cycle.

If you go over to the re-applicants forum you will see what we are trying to caution you about.

Unfortunately, applying to only one school hints at naivete, arrogance or a lack of commitment to the profession. We are looking for people who are flexible and resilient, not fixated on one outcome.

The only situation in which this position is even remotely feasible is an EDP ap for which you are no longer eligible this cycle.

If you go over to the re-applicants forum you will see what we are trying to caution you about.

Hey, thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are talking about now. What is a good way to get away from this stereotype? I hate that I have to try to avoid acting like that when I have genuine intentions.

Hey, thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are talking about now. What is a good way to get away from this stereotype? I hate that I have to try to avoid acting like that when I have genuine intentions.
You will have success by applying early with the strongest possible application to an adequate number of schools that might interview you.

You will have success by applying early with the strongest possible application to an adequate number of schools that might interview you.

I will keep that in mind if I need to apply! Thanks for all the advice.

what do you think about my chances this year though?

For whatever it is worth, my friend applied to only 1 school and got into that 1 school. Not all schools and people will think the same way about having to apply broadly or else you show no real commitment medicine.

For whatever it is worth, my friend applied to only 1 school and got into that 1 school. Not all schools and people will think the same way about having to apply broadly or else you show no real commitment medicine.

Yeah I got a little of that feeling when I was reading the form that was suggested. Some people were for it some were against it. It is the same with my low MCAT and high GPA many people say go for it and see what happens because GPA is much better than MCAT, where other people say don't even try. It is hard to take advice from everyone. I think the best thing that I can do is take everyone's advice and pick the things that best fit me as a person and what will play into my strengths.

Last edited:
Yeah I got a little of that feeling when I was reading the form that was suggested. Some people were for it some were against it. It is the same with my low MCAT and high GPA many people say go for it and see what happens because GPA is much better than MCAT, where other people say don't even try. It is hard to take advice from everyone. I think the best thing that I can do is take everyone's advice and pick the things that best fit me as a person and what will play into my strengths.
I believe your chances are low, but applying to 1 school is probably not going to break your piggy bank. You might as well try.