GPA 3.99, MCAT 37 (Unbalanced)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chungkuang

SoCalPie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a junior studying biology at UC Riverside. My GPA is 3.99 (science GPA 4.00, non-science GPA probably 3.99 or 3.98) and my MCAT is 37 (Verbal 9, BS 14, PS 14). I am worried about my unbalanced MCAT, especially if I would like to get into some top-tier schools (such as UCSF or Stanford).

Below is some summaries of my EC:
1. Lab Research Experience: 2 research publications, one from a lab I worked from June 2012 to present (a bioengineering lab at UCR), another one from Caltech JPL from a summer internship in 2013. I am also working in another lab at UCR (nematology, from June 2011 to present) and might publish sometime before June.

2. Medical Related Experience: 1 + 1/2 years of volunteering at a local hospital (200 + hours); I have also shadowed 3 doctors (orthopedics, urology, and ear nose throat)

3. Volunteering / Leadership Experience: coordinating and serving the piano for my Church on Sundays (started serving from August 2006, started coordinating around the start of college, so around summer 2012)

4. Tutoring: privately tutor a high school student in math and chemistry (started December 2013 to present)

5. Club: have been an active member of the Christians club at my school from September 2012 to present.

6. Awards / Scholarship: Regents scholar, research award (some award from the college of engineering)

May some of you help me and see if I have chances at some top-tier schools? I think I am applying to all CA schools (resident), and I am definitely applying to a wide rage of schools (out-of-state). But of course, I also hope I may get into some top-tier schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quit fussing, you are FINE!! Think rock star, and aim high.

Hello,

I am a junior studying biology at UC Riverside. My GPA is 3.99 (science GPA 4.00, non-science GPA probably 3.99 or 3.98) and my MCAT is 37 (Verbal 9, BS 14, PS 14). I am worried about my unbalanced MCAT, especially if I would like to get into some top-tier schools (such as UCSF or Stanford).

Below is some summaries of my EC:
1. Lab Research Experience: 2 research publications, one from a lab I worked from June 2012 to present (a bioengineering lab at UCR), another one from Caltech JPL from a summer internship in 2013. I am also working in another lab at UCR (nematology, from June 2011 to present) and might publish sometime before June.

2. Medical Related Experience: 1 + 1/2 years of volunteering at a local hospital (200 + hours); I have also shadowed 3 doctors (orthopedics, urology, and ear nose throat)

3. Volunteering / Leadership Experience: coordinating and serving the piano for my Church on Sundays (started serving from August 2006, started coordinating around the start of college, so around summer 2012)

4. Tutoring: privately tutor a high school student in math and chemistry (started December 2013 to present)

5. Club: have been an active member of the Christians club at my school from September 2012 to present.

6. Awards / Scholarship: Regents scholar, research award (some award from the college of engineering)

May some of you help me and see if I have chances at some top-tier schools? I think I am applying to all CA schools (resident), and I am definitely applying to a wide rage of schools (out-of-state). But of course, I also hope I may get into some top-tier schools. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Goro. You're a phenomenal applicant and have the ability to potentially get in anywhere you apply. Make sure you don't ONLY apply top tier, but there is no reason to worry over the 9 VR with the rest of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app looks great. Only thing I could think to ask was if you have any experience in a primary care setting? If no, it might be worth doing a little shadowing just to have a well rounded perspective of different physician career paths.

Just apply broadly and you'll do great!!