(GPA: 4.0 MCAT: 30) Advice getting into M.D.Ph.D program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chipes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to read through my post, and I apologize if I made any obvious errors in utilizing this website.

With regards to my current status, my undergraduate GPA is 4.0, my MCAT score is 30 (Verbal 11, Bio 10, Phys 09), I have 3 semesters worth of research with a possible 1-2 publications (in my professors' hands atm), and I am working as a pharmacy tech at a hospital. I have a couple of questions:

Are there any questions you have about the specifics of what I've mentioned?
What are my chances of getting into an M.D. Ph.D. program with my stats?
Should I retake my MCAT? If yes, why?
Should I do anything else to be able to have a good chance? If yes, what exactly?
What schools should I apply to based on my stats?
Any particular resources online that you know of that I should take a look at?
Any other advice with regards to my applying to M.D. Ph.D. programs with my stats?

Thank you very much!

-Chipes

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you sure as heck can't raise your GPA any more, so the MCAT is the only way you could improve the numbers. I'd focus on getting those publications out the door unless you feel your performance on test day wasn't representative of your abilities. If you took the MCAT and did your best to get that 30, you may not be able to improve upon it.

Do you have direct patient contact experience? Why do you want MD/Ph.D if not?

I think you need to retake your MCAT, MD/PhD's normally require a more competitive MCAT then straight MD programs. Without a 33 or higher I doubt you could get into a state schools MD/PhD program. If you don't want to retake, maybe you could apply to MD programs at schools that are heavily research oriented instead?

I've seen some schools that have MCAT cutoffs of 35 for MD/PhD, and they were lower-end schools. Are you absolutely sure you want to do an MD/PhD? You have a pretty solid chance at getting into medical school with your current stats and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to retake the MCAT unless you can start scoring at least 35 consistently.