GPA 4.0/MCAT >39/ Very low ranked school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElementaryWarts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually a long term SDN user, but have made a new account to try and preserve my privacy.

Stats

University of State at non-flagship campus (Very low ranked > 100 on USnews)
Current Junior
Asian-Indian

Major: Applied Math
GPA: cGPA 3.9/ sGPA 4.0
MCAT >39R, even distribution

Volunteer/Shadow experience:

1. Tutoring and training middle school students in robotics over summers
2. Clinical volunteer at same hospital for over 3 years(8hrs/week)
3. Shadowed 3 physicians PCP and ED for around 16 hrs each

Research:

I've been involved in research since my freshman year, including at local health university affiliated to my UG university. Most of it has been at the intersection of math and biology. ~bioinformatics...

1. A poster presentation at conference
2. 2, 3rd author publications
3. Am now completing the manuscript for what will be my 1st author publication if accepted

RL's:
I have strong RL's from both science and non-science faculty as well as my PI.

Work Experience:
1. 1 yr of experience working at a retail store(~Walmart/Safeway)
2. 1 yr and continuing experience as a medical scribe.

I know that while my LizzyM is quite high, I'm not sure where I should be applying. Coming from a relatively unknown university I feel as though I don't really have a shot at places like Harvard/Duke, but I've seen it said on the forums that lower ranked schools might screen me out.

In light of the recent threads in the Pre-allo forum, I'm considering doing a masters to improve my pedigree before I apply. Is this is a stupid idea?

I understand that this thread might seem very neurotic, but from my vantage point it's not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm actually a long term SDN user, but have made a new account to try and preserve my privacy.

Stats

Current Junior
Asian-Indian

Research:

I've been involved in research since my freshman year, including at local health university affiliated to my UG university. Most of it has been at the intersection of math and biology. ~bioinformatics...

3. Am now completing the manuscript for what will be my 1st author publication if accepted

RL's:

Work Experience:

I know that while my LizzyM is quite high, I'm not sure where I should be applying. Coming from a relatively unknown university I feel as though I don't really have a shot at places like Harvard/Duke, but I've seen it said on the forums that lower ranked schools might screen me out.

In light of the recent threads in the Pre-allo forum, I'm considering doing a masters to improve my pedigree before I apply. Is this is a stupid idea?

I understand that this thread might seem very neurotic, but from my vantage point it's not.
Yes, doing a masters is a stupid idea and a waste of time and money. You have a shot anywhere; top schools are always a crap shoot to some degree or another, but there is nothing in your application that requires you to get a masters. Getting a masters, no matter the "pedigree", won't change to any significant degree how schools view you, whether they are top schools or not. Apply as is and you will get into many great schools, assuming you have no red flags and are able to interview well. A masters won't help you at all as far as that goes.

Reactions: 1 users
With numbers like that, I really doubt anybody will care about your UG. Most people will probably just assume you went to a state school for $$$ reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya9J5.gif

Reactions: 7 users

Yes. Getting an masters in addition to having a 3.9/39 won't help you get into top schools. If you don't get into HMS, it won't be because you don't have a MS or MPH from Harvard. If you're aiming for top schools i'd try to improve your ECs (leadership and community service) instead.

(exception: rhodes scholarship)

I'm at a top 20 and I interviewed at least one applicant last year with numbers like yours who was from a state school in a state no one ever even hears of (that entire state has fewer residents than the city my school is located in). There was no problem admitting that candidate -- if anything, such an applicant offers some diversity given that the students from Duke and Penn are a dime a dozen but a steller candidate from NoWheresville State College is very rare, indeed.

Reactions: 6 users

Stats

Current Junior
Asian-Indian

Research:

RL's:

Work Experience:

You have a better MCAT and more substantive research experience than I did and I got interviews at Top 20 schools (even after applying slightly late!). I go to an lol-random state school (also > 100 in the USNWR). Don't worry about it. Smart people are smart, regardless of the name on your transcript. A GPA like that takes hard work. Be confident. If you write well, you're going to have an excellent application cycle. Then again, if you don't write well, you can always seek the help of SDNers...

Apply everywhere but figure out what you want in a school. Do you want to go wherever you get the best financial aid package? Do you want a top research school? Do you want a school that has a strong focus in a specialty you're considering? Do you care about curriculum style? Grading style? Location?

That's what you need to figure out before you pick schools. Your scores will not hold you back anywhere, GL and remember to apply early.

Thanks everyone, especially @LizzyM . This certainly helped make my thinking clearer. Best of luck to everyone else planning to apply in the 14-15 cycle.

No need for an MS. Aim high.

Stats

Current Junior
Asian-Indian

Research:

RL's:

Work Experience:

Reactions: 1 users