MD GPA 4.0 / MCAT 518 / CANADIAN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please help me put together a list of schools for next application cycle? Deciding to apply early next year for the first time.

**Canadian Resident
GPA 4.0
MCAT: 518 (127 in CARS)
Fairly well-rounded ECs (heavy research, 2 papers (not first author), but also clinical, leadership, mentorship etc. ) but nothing "mind-blowing".

Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one has responded in 2 days I'm basically going to recite what gyngyn tells all Canadian applicants to do

1) Invest in MSAR
2) Identify the 62 schools that take internationals
3) Eliminate schools that haven't matriculated any in the past 2 years. You can put more stringent standards in for eliminating schools if you want, I'm being a little more lax with it because your stats are very solid. Gyngyn will often tell people eliminate schools that haven't matriculated 2-3 the past year. If you would like to be a little more stringent in how you eliminate schools from consideration that's fine.
4) Look for schools with median MCATs in the 30-36 range. Target them. That'll consist of your list largely. Focus at least as much(honestly more) on schools with median MCATs in the 30-33 range as you do the top 20 reaches with their 36-37 medians.

It's always best to be cautious and conservative given how low the acceptance rate is for international applicants(it's under 20% by a bit) but with a good list you seem to have a rather reasonable chance of nabbing some II's, even perhaps from some of the bigger names.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since no one has responded in 2 days I'm basically going to recite what gyngyn tells all Canadian applicants to do

1) Invest in MSAR
2) Identify the 62 schools that take internationals
3) Eliminate schools that haven't matriculated any in the past 2 years. You can put more stringent standards in for eliminating schools if you want, I'm being a little more lax with it because your stats are very solid. Gyngyn will often tell people eliminate schools that haven't matriculated 2-3 the past year. If you would like to be a little more stringent in how you eliminate schools from consideration that's fine.
4) Look for schools with median MCATs in the 30-36 range. Target them. That'll consist of your list largely. Focus at least as much(honestly more) on schools with median MCATs in the 30-33 range as you do the top 20 reaches with their 36-37 medians.

It's always best to be cautious and conservative given how low the acceptance rate is for international applicants(it's under 20% by a bit) but with a good list you seem to have a rather reasonable chance of nabbing some II's, even perhaps from some of the bigger names.

Thank you for your invaluable input.

Should I consider applying to the top tier 15 schools that accept international students or that's too much of a stretch?

It's not too much of a stretch, definitely apply to a bunch of the top schools that accept internationals. Just apply as broadly as you can. If you want to aim for top schools then it is best to have 20+ schools total to have a solid base.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not too much of a stretch, definitely apply to a bunch of the top schools that accept internationals. Just apply as broadly as you can. If you want to aim for top schools then it is best to have 20+ schools total to have a solid base.

Thanks Banco,

anyone else would like to chime? I'd really appreciate any feedback :)

Thank you @gyngyn - it will be my first time applying so sorry if it's a stupid question but do you think, considering that I'm a Canadian, my chances of getting into any of top 20-30 schools is good?
As good as any international applicant.