GPA Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miharou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm feeling undecided on what the best improvement pathway is for me.

cGPA - 3.6
SGPA - 3.4
MCAT - 30
My experiences seem alright to me but I know my GPA is an issue. I can either go back for a year of undergrad science classes vs doing masters classes. Already have a bachelors so will it be redundant to go back for undergrad. Am I better off doing a masters?

Two options
1- do one year of undergrad and increase my uGPA
2 - study for my mcat for a retake, take masters classes. Get a good graduate GPA and a better mcat (hopefully)

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that you ace everything, how much can you improve your GPA?

Your numbers aren't that bad, you are competitive for many MD and all DO schools.

Do NOT retake MCAT, unless one section is <7.

Hey guys

I'm feeling undecided on what the best improvement pathway is for me.

cGPA - 3.6
SGPA - 3.4
MCAT - 30
My experiences seem alright to me but I know my GPA is an issue. I can either go back for a year of undergrad science classes vs doing masters classes. Already have a bachelors so will it be redundant to go back for undergrad. Am I better off doing a masters?

Two options
1- do one year of undergrad and increase my uGPA
2 - study for my mcat for a retake, take masters classes. Get a good graduate GPA and a better mcat (hopefully)

If your practice test scores averaged 33+, then you might consider re-taking. I wouldn't do a masters though, your grades are OK. How are your ECs? If you don't have any that really stand out, you might want to consider doing a gap year and doing something significant. If you have some interesting, significant ECs and you apply early, I think you have a good shot with the stats you currently have.

ECs are fairly decent.
I have a good amount of volunteer hours in a public hospital and a private hospital.
Shadowing in the ER as well as in pediatric specialty.
My full time job is my most unique experience which has given me a ton of experience in pathology and an MD letter (though I don't know if that makes any specific difference)
I have some other non healthcare volunteer experiences an officer position.
Did intercollegiate sports for my student organization

No research sadly unless you count surveying in the ER and asking people to enroll in studies.

School wise I'm looking at Chicago schools like rushs, Ny schools such as nymc/Albany and so on

However I am also considering applying to SMPs if this cycle is a bust.